Air "Talkie Walkie"

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
pk
buyin' gear

Re: Air "Talkie Walkie"

Post by pk » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:06 pm

Anyone know if they used any ARP synths on Moon Safari and Premier Symptomes? I seem to have read that somewhere a while back, there being a heavy presence of an ARP Solina/String Ensemble synth....?

dumbangel
pushin' record

Re: Air "Talkie Walkie"

Post by dumbangel » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:12 pm

Anyone know if they used any ARP synths on Moon Safari and Premier Symptomes? I seem to have read that somewhere a while back, there being a heavy presence of an ARP Solina/String Ensemble synth....?
yes there is. But i thought instruments were listed on the sleevenotes of Moon Safari and premiers symptomes? I didn't list all their synths. They have so many! But surprisingly and despite all the big money they've been making in the past few years, they don't have a B3 for example. Just a L100 series, the poor man's B3. They bought their first Leslie long after Virgin Suicides.
They don't seem to open up with that information on all the interviews I've read on the web. Perhaps, it 's a language thing.
Yes it is. Their english is terrible. They use words like "mouses"... They REALLY don't care about keeping their gear or method secret.

I really don't see how "kelly watch the stars" isn't vocodered.
I don't either. They spoke about it in a tv interview and didn't seem to be joking at all. But... actually now i think about it I'm not sure the response applied to the Moon Safari album and not to Sexy boy only. It's pretty much the only info i'm not 100% certain. The rest was from written interviews. Another thing I'm not entirely sure is a magazine who interviewed them wrote they used a Solina string synth on "Dirty trip" (the nice sustained chords) but in another mag they said only the korg MS20 (still their desert island mono synth apparently) and the Memorymoog were used on the soundtrack. So.. At that time they absolutely RAVED about that memorymoog (they bought it from Motley Crue's keyboard player!)

I must say that to me the best thing to come from France in the last 3 years was not Air but this guy called Sebastien Tellier that Air signed on their own label. Very different stuff. Very reminiscent of 70s Robert Wyatt . Not inferior to him, same level. He's the only real genius living here to me.