Bellari mod

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
puffpastry
pushin' record

Bellari mod

Post by puffpastry » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:50 pm

b3groover
deaf.

Re: Bellari mod

Post by b3groover » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:14 am

How is the Alesis 3630 mod?

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:19 am

Ah... just realized Black Lion is your company. The Bellari mod looks simple enough... I have a Bellari RP503 that I think uses the exact same tube circuit as the MP105, but adds a compressor and EQ. It uses the same op-amps, I know that... just more of them. I was trying to find a good substitute... I'll look into the AD ones.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:18 am

Puff, how goes the Behringer mod, so far?

puffpastry
pushin' record

Post by puffpastry » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:40 am

How is the Alesis 3630 mod?
Well, I personally think it's great. It's not a Distressor or anything like that, mind you. I intended the finished product to compete with the RNC in terms of price and performance. Like the RNC, it has an artifact-free compression because I redesigned the timing detect circuit (which is one of the worst areas of the 3630's design). It has a better VCA and a better gain stage than the RNC does, though, so it's got a fuller, more rich sound.
I have a Bellari RP503 that I think uses the exact same tube circuit as the MP105, but adds a compressor and EQ. It uses the same op-amps, I know that... just more of them. I was trying to find a good substitute... I'll look into the AD ones.
The AD826 is one of my personal favorites in terms of a dual opamp. I think you'll really like the way it sounds in your RP503.
how goes the Behringer mod, so far?
Oh, man this thing has been tough--mostly because of Behringer's stubborn refusal to give up the schematics. I've had to trace the circuit out by hand, and that wasn't fun, believe me. The most important element has been ridding the Behringer of its starved-plate tube circuit--I've designed an alternative based around the 6GM8 tube, which is a low-voltage tube that runs on 30 vdc.

I'm also doing a HPF/20dB pad mod for the Marshall 603s--it's a little something that Ed Rose has asked me for.

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:13 am

BELLARI MOD.....ONE WORD >>>HOT!!!!
3630 MOD.........4 WORDS ^^^THROW AWAY YOUR RNC
BEHRINGER MOD.......WHEN AM I GONNA GET IT MAN!!!!!!!!!
im dying here

frank
takin' a dinner break

Post by frank » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:09 pm

wow...this stuff looks really cool. I picked up a 3630 at a flea market for $20. my friends say I got ripped off. but, the mod makes me really hopefull.
Red Hook!

frank
takin' a dinner break

Post by frank » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:18 pm

hey puff...I having problems with the BlackLionAudio site...hmm...?
Red Hook!

puffpastry
pushin' record

Post by puffpastry » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:57 pm

hey puff...I having problems with the Black Lion Audio site...hmm...?
What are you surfing with? The site is coded in valid HTML 4.0 transitional (as verified by W3C), and if you're using a newer version of Netscape or Mozilla, it might not load properly. I've gone to hell and back trying to get it to work under Mozilla 1.5, but I haven't had any success.
BEHRINGER MOD.......WHEN AM I GONNA GET IT MAN!!!!!!!!!
The Bellari mod on the site is based loosely on a mod I did for Squizo's MP105 a couple of years ago...and the Behringer T1950 mod is for him as well...

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:04 pm

puffpastry wrote:Here's a simple MP105 mod

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/roundsound.htm
Saw you have a mod for the ART Tube MP coming soon. Will it also work with the Dual MP?

puffpastry
pushin' record

Post by puffpastry » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:26 pm

I don't know if my Tube MP mod will work with the Dual MP, since I don't have schematics for that version. I would love to mess with more of the ART stuff in the future, especially the tube compressors.

By the way, TapeOp will be doing a review of the 3630 mod kit sometime in the future. If anyone wants to do a review of a modded 3630 for the board, I'd gladly send you a prototype on loan.

Or Squizo could write one, since he used one of my prototypes for a few weeks...

Moon Unit
gettin' sounds

Post by Moon Unit » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:51 am

Hey Puff, I think you left out the most important part: Swapping out those cheap input transformers.

puffpastry
pushin' record

Post by puffpastry » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:50 am

Which cheap input transformers?

The MP105 doesn't have input transformers, although it would be pretty
easy to put one in, I think.

Maybe the 503 has input transformers?

choke3d
alignin' 24-trk

Post by choke3d » Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:01 pm

forgive my newbie-ism -
i have an mp105 laying around, and i'm really excited about the mod!
quick question - do i need a tool of some kind to remove / insert the opamps, or do they just pop out when picked up? want to make sure i have everything i need before i take it our of rotation for a little while.
also - after putting in the new opamps and 12ax7, i should just leave it on for a day or so to let it burn in? i guess my question is, how will i know when it's "cooked enough to eat"? the obvious answer, i guess is "when it sounds better than it did before".
thanks a lot for posting this...

puffpastry
pushin' record

Post by puffpastry » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:00 pm

You can remove the old IC's by pulling them out with your fingers. The sockets have some resistance, so you may have to pull a bit. Make sure you install the new IC's correctly, according to their polarity.

Burn-in time is really dependent upon how much use the preamp gets. You don't have to let it "cook," it can be used right away.