Compressor decision help!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
swillhite
audio school graduate

Compressor decision help!

Post by swillhite » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:34 pm

I am looking to buy a fairly inexpensive ($300+or-) compressor primarily for vocals and acoustic guitar. I've considered a DBX 160A but it sounds like those are better for bass and drums. Has anyone used one for vocals or acoustic guitar? What other compressors do people like? Thanks!

chemicalpink
takin' a dinner break

Re: Compressor decision help!

Post by chemicalpink » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:40 am

the 160a sounds good on acoustic and vox just keep the ratio
really low(2:1), I use a 162 (stereo model) on drums and drum room
mics and it sounds rad for some types of playing.

tmix
audio school graduate

Post by tmix » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:47 am

I dont have the 160a but I do have the DBX 266XLs which may not compare in any sense,but I don't like them very much on voice or guitar. The compressor I love on voice and acoustic instruments is my FMR RNC which you can pick up for well under $200 anywhere. I really don't think you can beet the quality with anything under $1000, the only drawback being it is a grouped stereo compressor as opposed to a dual mono compressor.
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield, Texas.

CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by CDB Studios » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:52 am

my Oh-2

Orban 424a or 422a

it's a compressor/deesser/gate

Great on vocals/guitar/horns/ leave it to your imagination

-Zach :jazzman:

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:05 am

i'm a big fan of my dbx 160a, although i havent tried it on vocals. great for mildly taming guitars, and use on bass. can be cool on drums. dbx 266xl is not that hot and not that similar. RNC is pretty great i think. total workhorse.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:08 am

The dbx160A is the new version of the venerable dbx160X or dbx160XT. These were always found in pairs in most major recording studios over the past 20 years. Totally versatile and used on everything. Slightly noisy, but very functional. Don't be afraid to implement the new 160A. A little known fact is that the compressor/gate section on all SSL consoles is actually made by dbx. FYI.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:05 am

The 160a is the last thing in my vocal chain on half the records I have mixed! Great, super clean, no frills, squish box to hold the main vocal where I want it. I will run it after a nice slow comp to catch stuff the 2254 (or whatever) doesnt even attempt to attenuate.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:11 pm

take a look at symetrix stuff as well.

here is a huge discussion about the difference between symetrix and dbx
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&l ... 26rnum%3D1

the conclusion being that symetrix compressors are great, just as good as any dbx unit, often having the same VCAs with better parts and designs around them, and they go for much much cheaper.

you can get a cl150 for about $40 on ebay. pretty durn good deal. those 501s are a bit more, but still way less than an new RNC used.

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:51 pm

i have a cl-150, i haven't used it on vocals before, but it is surprisingly nice. and i got it for $15, believe it or not.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:35 pm

i have a cl150 too. but i paid $35 for mine! you bastard!

i find that it compresses stuff in a perfectly pleasing way. hard to make it sound bad, but hard to make it sound amazing.

it leaves a nice little sonic footprint on the signal, unlike my RNC that doesnt do much at all in the sonic footprint category. i like it for stuff that i want to smooth out just a little bit. very solid sounding piece.

for a while i was lightly compressing all keyboard DIs with it, but then i realized i like the extra color i get from using my ashly sc-50 (another great bargain compressor)

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:37 pm

by the way there are 4 dbx 160x compressors on ebay right now, all under $100, all going the exact same minute.

due to the laws of supply and demand, bidding on one of these might get you a good price.

swillhite
audio school graduate

Post by swillhite » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:18 pm

Thanks for all the great replies, I hadn't heard of the Symetrix stuff, I will definately check it out, I'm interested in a compressor that smooths things out a little. So what is the difference between the 160x and the 160xt? Any more reviews on the RNC? Thanks!

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:55 pm

I think the 160x has a terminal strip for in/out connectors on the back, and the 160xt has XLR connectors.
I have both a 160a and 160xt. I think the 160a is a bit "smoother", and I like it more for more transparent needs, and the 160xt a bit more"colored", agreed, like it on more bass, drums, etc.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:53 pm

The limiter on those symetrix 501's RULES. total destruction.

I have a 150 and I love those things. Ashley made a single channel comp that is cool in the same way the 150 is cool.

I like those little comps for certain things A LOT though, Like a Blown out center ambient mic... Like a cmv 563, through the symetrix, just DESTROYED, and it gets nice and dark and explosive with a really slow attack that lets the front edge of the transient just snap through the din of cheap diodes melting in the limiter section.....

I used to use an effectron for the same thing. They have a little diode across the input that drives really well. I love those things, as limiters.... and delays.