Guitar Players: Most Overrated Solo

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
JGriffin
zen recordist

Re: Guitar Players: Most Overrated Solo

Post by JGriffin » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:29 pm

soundguy wrote: "worst second rate metal guitarists who got accepted by alternative nation".
Kim Thayil, anyone?
soundguy wrote: I'll never understand janes addition and how he wound up in rhcp.
My guess: They figured they couldn't get any worse, but decided to try anyway.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:25 pm

aw man, kim is my hero. really.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:55 pm

dwlb wrote:
soundguy wrote: I'll never understand janes addition and how he wound up in rhcp.
My guess: They figured they couldn't get any worse, but decided to try anyway.
oh shit! good one :D rhcp sure suck a big one these days.

i hate all the guitars in Layla. in fact, i don't like most of clapton's stuff, unless George Harrison was telling him what to do.

every solo by boston, bad company, or foreigner.
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

junokane
pushin' record

Post by junokane » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:14 pm

ion records wrote:i hate all the guitars in Layla. in fact, i don't like most of clapton's stuff, unless George Harrison was telling him what to do.
While I'll admit that the wailing by Clapton and Duane Allman on the coda to "Layla" is a bit unstructured, it still seems to capture the pain one might feel if one was pining enough over his best friend's girl to write a classic hit rock song about it. Regardless, the piano work on the coda blows my mind, and every time I find a piano I've got to sit there and try to figure it out, and I just end up embarrassing myself. I think it's beautiful.

other comments:

Navarro has made himself irrelevent, but the first two Jane's records in particular helped convince me (at the time) that rock music wan't just a huge waste of time.

Joe Walsh rocks.

and, even though this is a thread about Overrated solos, I gotta give props to Mark Knopfler's solo on "Sultans of Swing". First 45 I ever bought.

Maybe an overrated solo would be the intro to "Sweet Jane" on "Rock and Roll Animal", but I like it anyway.

And I like the intro to "Sweet Child o' Mine". It always sticks in my head. I'm not even a big GNR guy, but I've always respected Slash for refraining from the joyless shredding that many of his peers indulged in. He's pretty melodic in comparison.
Juno Kane
---------------------------------------------------
used to be nobody did, but now people are starting to tell me squat

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:25 am

I just caught a second of stern and he was interviewing sammy hagar and he made some comment to the effect of comparing jagger/richards to axel/slash for our generation and at first I thought it was a ridiculous thing to say but couldnt really challenge that idea.

The thing that always got me about dave navarro, much to the same degree that people talk about tom morello is that at the time (which to put in perspective was like hair metal heyday) people were BUGGING out about how cool he was and how he was this insanely innovative guitar player. All I heard were the same cliche metal riffs with a cool drummer and a singer who had a gift to sing every note consistenly flat. Janes addiction led to big change, but dave navarro took down some accolades that were just so beyond the pale that seemed even then, really awkward. I saw some pictures from his wedding recently and I guess however he plays a guitar or however silly he made the chili peppers seem, the dude is living a pretty good life so far as I can see...

didnt tom dowd arrange the piano parts on layla, or am I just wanting that to be so?

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

fuzz1964
pluggin' in mics

Post by fuzz1964 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:53 am

i think any guitarist that thinks he's cool because he can play a mixolydian scale, just plain sucks!!

Philip
audio school

Post by Philip » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:57 am

Rolling Stones top 100 would be a start
(Except #89 d. boon the worlds most underrated guitar player)

anthill
audio school

Post by anthill » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:05 am

they're all overrated...who cares? "look at me! look at me!" waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

cheexolicious
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cheexolicious » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:08 am

surfing with the alien.

I personaly never rated satriani any higher than I would rate kenny g or michael bolton. But I remember back when other guitar buddies of my would just cream over satriani. Or eric johnson too. gawd. :kotzen:

Philip
audio school

Post by Philip » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:28 am

I subscribe to "they all suck" Philosophy I mean what guitar player has not let you down (in time) I mean there are only three that I can think of exceptions Al Sandoval, Tom Lynch & Daniel Joseph Polacke

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:34 am

they're all overrated...who cares? "look at me! look at me!" waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh
I don 't think that applies all solos. There are actually tasteful, melodic solos that actually add to the song.

Jim Gordon, a drummer, wrote the piano part of Layla.

Philip
audio school

Post by Philip » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:39 am

Classic moment in The Last Waltz is when clapton looses his guitar strap and r. robertson takes over and totally blows everything he did before and after out of the water

anthill
audio school

Post by anthill » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:49 am

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

coldfeet
audio school graduate

Post by coldfeet » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:05 am

Most things played by Eric Clapton get way overated.

I like the hearbreaker solo. I'll take it over Clapton's pussy stat tone anyday.

Along similar lines of the freebird solo, how about the Allman Brothers? I mean give me a break. Are those guys good guitar players? I don't hear it.

Philip
audio school

Post by Philip » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:39 am

I liked Clapton a lot until around 1990, I mean he was so bad after his tears in heaven crap and collaboration with baby face song that really it tarnished not only what he does now but it obliterated his past too. I listen to cream still, but I focus on Bruce and Baker cuz when I here Clapton all I can think of is how horrible he is today.

Hendrix is a genius ?until you hear another guitar player, playing while high and the mystery is solved.