Strangest Studio Techniques U Ever Used?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Strangest Studio Techniques U Ever Used?

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu May 22, 2003 12:17 am

like fried roaches in fish sauce wrapped in a leaf..

:kotzen:

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:43 am

like fried roaches in fish sauce wrapped in a leaf..
OK, I've been up all night mixing and now I gotta baaaaad case o' the shakes. So, I figured I'd unwind with my facorite pasttime - lurking on the TapeOp message board. So I was looking for one of my old posts and then I saw this. Oh my god that is disgusting!

'Scuse me while I puke and die

-J. Hendrix
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:20 am

i bumped that a long time ago..i don't even remember writing it..

some people like that..i saw this show on tv, in tailand this gut keeps a king kobra in a cage at his eating establishment and pokes the kobra with a stick to make it real angry and then when its real angry cuts off its head and milks it for blood and people drink it real fresh..one guy said it grew his hair back!!!

sashacasa
ass engineer

Post by sashacasa » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:31 am

SKY_AT_NO_NOON wrote: i saw this show on tv, in tailand this gut keeps a king kobra in a cage at his eating establishment and pokes the kobra with a stick to make it real angry and then when its real angry cuts off its head and milks it for blood and people drink it real fresh..one guy said it grew his hair back!!!

i saw that show! friggin nasty....but who knows, it might taste like chocolate milk.
t

sashacasa
ass engineer

Post by sashacasa » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:33 am

SKY_AT_NO_NOON wrote: i saw this show on tv, in tailand this gut keeps a king kobra in a cage at his eating establishment and pokes the kobra with a stick to make it real angry and then when its real angry cuts off its head and milks it for blood and people drink it real fresh..one guy said it grew his hair back!!!

i saw that show! friggin nasty....but who knows, it might taste like chocolate milk.
t

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:52 am

Hope this isn't too off topic, considering we seem to have drifted towards Iron Chef land...

Strange studio techniques in my life include:

--guitar amp inside the dryer

--guitar amp inside a cedar chest (about the size of a coffin)

--miking a drum set through a set of PVC pipes of varying lengths and sending the overhead mic through a Boss flanger pedal

--putting a Beyer talkback mic into a radiator hose and swinging it around in front of the speakers to "light-sabre" the feedback

...that's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there's more.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:31 am

was the dryer on? that would be nasty, wraaauhhhh klunk wrahuuuhh klunk klunk!!

heres one im not sure if i mentioned yet :

did a trumpet part, had the mic orig 421 resting on top of a floor tom (whole kit set up)

results :

nice dark trumpet with all the resonance from the kit, supercool, superstrange, supertrumpetrawk..

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:36 am

Love the drumset-resonance trick--very cool.

No, the dryer wasn't on...we didn't want to destroy the amp (it was an old '50s Gretsch tube combo)! We thought about it, though.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

SirDonut
gettin' sounds

Post by SirDonut » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:19 pm

dwlb wrote:Love the drumset-resonance trick--very cool.
If you got a water cooler, take an empty bottle, put it hole-side-up on the ground and stick a small mic in the top (stapes, earthworks)...combine with kick-drum.

instant B-B-bass helmholz resonator.

-Andrew

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:56 pm

Recorded a drum part for 5 minutes, intended to be a loop with another drummer playing to it...

then we took a gibson beige tolex amp (can't remember the model) and hung it by bungee cords from the 2nd floor stairs of a fire stairwell, turned amp to 11, put a Mouse on the first floor in the corner under the stairs.

Then we took another little wooden battery powered amp and carried it to the top to the fire stairs. Placed another large dia condensor nearby, in the doorframe to the roof.

Then we re-amped the soon-to-be loop through the 2 amps and recorded the 2 mics.

And the result? Unbelievable. Mixed in with the dry track it sounded backward. Think 'tomorrow never knows' on acid. But not psychedelic.

I have pictures of the set up. Pretty funny.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:56 pm

those water jugs make awesome hand percussion too! they dont even sound "off" or anything. it just sounds like cool percussion.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:50 pm

jasonlewis wrote:
And the result? Unbelievable. Mixed in with the dry track it sounded backward. Think 'tomorrow never knows' on acid. But not psychedelic.

I have pictures of the set up. Pretty funny.
that sounds cool as hell!

i was working on a mix once and the drums really needed some help. i tried a bunch of different things, nothing was happening. eventually i soloed the snare track and ran it out to an mxr distortion plus turned up about to about 90%. there was tons of bleed in the mic so plenty of hat and kick were in there too. thru the mxr it was not bad. then i ran the mxr into a dotted eighth delay. ok, that's cooler. then i ran the dotted eighth delay into an eighth note delay, panned one hard l the other hard r, with the mxr track dead center. fucking amazing if i do say so myself. just these waves of groovin' apocalyptic distortion. it was so good i made a whole 'nother track out of it....

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:53 pm

tiger vomitt wrote:those water jugs make awesome hand percussion too! they dont even sound "off" or anything. it just sounds like cool percussion.
it sure does. the drummer in one of my now defunct bands did an overdub with a water jug and a piano bench as his percussion. was easily the coolest thing that happened on that session.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:59 pm

i may get shot for this, but i saw an engineer use the "dotted eight delay hard left, eight delay hard right" trick on all his smooth jazz saxophone. send the delay returns through a stereo reverb, and blam! super thick

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:34 pm

dwlb wrote:Love the drumset-resonance trick--very cool.

No, the dryer wasn't on...we didn't want to destroy the amp (it was an old '50s Gretsch tube combo)! We thought about it, though.

im gonna try havign the amp in the room then putting a shoe or something in the dryer along side the amp for the klunking..

there is this thing i want to also try :

when it rains i have a window that sounds like a waterfall because water collects in a well at the bottom..the room attached is very verby..add singer acoustic and i think it would be interesting..i got to do my rain dance now.