SansAmp Classic etc.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

SansAmp Classic etc.

Post by bobbydj » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:56 am

I'm kind of in the market for an ampless solution to recording guitars (2 factors - neighbours, and I have to do stuff late in the evening usually). Although Line 6 POD stuff is ok, I'd like to get away from the digital modelling thing if I can (I'm assuming the SansAmp stuff is analogue, though I might well be wrong here).

One issue I have is this. From the blurb I've been reading on the SansAmp stuff it seems that it's plaudits are mainly down to the gain-y, rock (metal?) type of sounds it can do. So my question is this - what strength of opnion is there that the SansAmp Classic can do dirty and clean?

I love the idea that the Classic is mostly hand-built and analogue, but I do need clean as much - if not more than - dirtier sounds. I know it's not going to cough out any Fender Twin chimes, but nevertheless. If it can do a good clean guitar sound I'll almost certainly head off down the SansAmp route rather than the Line 6. So - anyone using the Classic mainly for clean stuff?
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

flanneljammies
takin' a dinner break

Re: SansAmp Classic etc.

Post by flanneljammies » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:07 am

I've used the SansAmp Classic for just about everything: clean and chimey to gritty and distorted. I've also used it for bass and it sounds just gorgeous on my Dano baritone. I say go for it.

joey
audio school graduate

Post by joey » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:15 am

ive used both pod and and sans amp products and i would recommend the sans amp, hands down....a better unit. Definately get the classic and not the GT2 if you are into more clean and overdriven sounds rather than full blown distortion. You can use the sans amp for other applications aswell (snare!)

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:17 am

I can only seem to find the newer SansAmp models. One plain and one with tone controls (RBI?). I'd like to pick one up as well, mainly for my bass, but is there one you recommend that would suit guitars as well? I suppose that would be the classic?

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:21 am

bobbydj wrote:I know it's not going to cough out any Fender Twin chimes, but nevertheless. If it can do a good clean guitar sound I'll almost certainly head off down the SansAmp route rather than the Line 6. So - anyone using the Classic mainly for clean stuff?
While I don't think that clean is necessarily its forte, the SansAmp can do Fender. A friend of mine is a hardcore Strat/Fender amp kind of guy and we've gotten some very satisfactory clean/chimey sounds.

Go for it, the SansAmp is a very useful tool.
Mark

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:43 am

I own a Classic (original), a TRI-AC and a Bass Driver.... the Classic is probably the most versatile, but I really like the TRI-AC on my Strat (especially the "Calif" setting, which is supposed to be like a Mesa, but to my ears sound like a Fender Deluxe), and the BassDriver does a really great clean sound, for bass, guitar or baritone.

I've had the best luck dialing up a clean setting I like, then using pedals in front for any overdrive or distortion. They *really* like compression on the front end.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:49 am

Thanks all! :)
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)