Chunk city and variations thereof

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Chunk city and variations thereof

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:39 pm

Stumbled across something that yields huge guitars when needed.

Last project I did I had run the main distorted rhythm guitar out of the 001 interface into the Summit limiter I have. Didn't compress or limit it, but had the gain reduction set at a minimum setting. Attack and release settings still matter though and change the sound considerably. I re-recorded directly back into Pro Tools and really just used the Summit as if it were an insert. After re-aligning the track against the original guitar (52 samples is the time for the full D to A/A to D loop), I put the new guitar up against the original- in other words- in addition to it and it sounded fucking huge. Not thinking about this as an intentional technique thing, I just did it again on a track I am working on and it sounded fucking huge AGAIN. It's definitely not a double, because it's the same guitar. I don't know if it's the compressing and limiting of the Summit, the tube stage therein just being routed and converted out of and in to the box again, but I've got one for the notebooks here that I will certainly use in the future.

I think you could probably approximate this with a plugin at the insert prior to routing out of and in to the box again- just a cable loop with nothing outside the box. Lose the plugin at the insert of the original, re-align the track and then put it up against the original.

Let me know if we're on to something here.

Yeow. Happy accidentes!

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Chunk city and variations thereof

Post by soundguy » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:49 pm

damn, if Im getting that for FREE, wtf do I get for my $35? where do I send the check?

good stuff.

dave
http://www.glideonfade.com
one hundred percent discrete transistor recording with style and care.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:59 pm

soundguy wrote:where do I send the check?
Send it to California! :lol:
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:08 pm

I stumbled upon this trick with a different converter and a compressor so I can say it works with other configurations of gear as well..It gave a vocal track a lot more presence and yes made it sound bigger..

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:47 pm

This is kind of the New York compression trick (if I understood your post correctly)

its done often on drums where a stereo submix of the drums is sent out to a buss with a compressor on it. You can compress the sub mix hard, and then bring it up under the original un-compressed drum tracks and get a cool sound.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:45 pm

I do the same thing with kick and snare, and vocals sometimes.

I have used the UA 2-610 at line level, but through the pre, for more of a present bass tone, with the edge of drive, like the YES tone. Like getting a DI to sound like a gnarly, up front B15 track, but with WAY more bite. The EQ on those is good slamming it with line level into the mic pre as well. Awesome. Works for distorto guitar sounds of all types, especially with a nice lowpass filter.