Your recent recordings and gear used.

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dictaphone
pushin' record

Your recent recordings and gear used.

Post by dictaphone » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:16 am

The idea is simple. Post a link to your recent recordings, and list the recording gear that you used. I believe that this can be useful to other recordists so if they like something you did they can ask you how you got that (vocal, guitar, snare, etc., etc.) sound.

I am doing this to see what everyone is doing with their equipement. Feel free to post whatever studio/garage/bedroom recordings you've done. It would be nice to describe the environment as well as the equipement.

Post yours. Here are mine.

This first one I recorded in a bedroom with no acoustic treatments, other than carefully placed furniture. It was all recorded into a Yamaha AW16G with a cheap Yamaha mixer (for phantom power supply, not EQ). The only compressor was a RNC. Mics: ADK A-51, KSM27, SM57(3), e604(3), e602, MC012(cardiod only, 2).

http://www.for-those-who-know.com/mp3/f ... nd_dad.mp3

This one I recorded at the studio in the local community college (Austin Community College). An Alesis 24 track harddisk recorder, through a Soundcraft Ghost board. Compressors: Drawmer 1969, DBX 160, RNC. Mics: AKG 460(2), Oktava 219(2), KSM109, SM57, 441(2), Beta 57, 421(2), Beyer M88(2), D112, 414, AT3035.

http://www.for-those-who-know.com/mp3/f ... _hello.mp3

G-Rat
audio school graduate

Re: Your recent recordings and gear used.

Post by G-Rat » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:00 am

Alright, besides wondering why this isn't in the mp3 forum or whatever it is called, I gotta say these are a couple sweet songs. I love em. was there much overdubbing or was it recorded straight through?
same as it ever was. same as it ever was.

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:04 am

Sullivan Street
Very simple little track recorded last winter at my apartment - my acoustic's neck got overly warped from the apartment being too dry, and developed a horrible buzz. Decided to capitalize on the sound, capo-ing at the 3rd fret and running some parametric EQ on it to get a banjo-like effect. Built up a track at a time using Sonic Foundry Vegas.

Elements:
- Fender DG14SLH acoustic guitar; miked with SM57; parametric EQ & compression plugins
- vocals; miked with SM57; compression plugin
- Ibanez SR400 bass; acoustically miked strings with SM57; Wave Hammer plugin
- Laptop snare drum, played barehand and with sock; miked with SM57; compression plugin
- Vantage VP820 electric guitar, through POD
- pot lid, played with forks; miked with SM57
- wooden desk, played with drumsticks; miked with SM57

After a mono mixdown, the mix was passed through the parametric EQ plugin and then given a vintage record sound courtesy of Izotope's Vinyl plugin.
Right now, this is a premaster - getting this track and the whole disc mastered next Thursday... looking forward to that.
Last edited by stevemoss on Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:47 am

On Your Own: http://toxicbag.com/evil/sounds/OYO_hi.mp3

Re-record of a song that used to be full rock band.

Drums: RE20 in the kick, AKG 414 overhead. SM57 on snare with snares off. Snares-on overdub was done using the 414 overhead only.
Bass: Fender P-Bass, fretless, set up for B-E-A-D tuning, RE20 in front of 15" speaker, DI into an Amek mic pre and an 1176.
Guitar: Old gut string with a broken neck and missing D string, miked with an SM57.
Piano: Conover baby grand, in mono with a 414.
Vocal: I placed an SM57 in the back of a metal bowling locker, stuck my head in and sang.

The bowling locker is a vintage piece previously used as the mic cabinet at dam! studios, which is now sadly out of business. I use it as a mic/cables etc. storage unit now in my control room.

This was a porta-project; I hauled my digi002 and eMac with me to record the various parts.

Guitars and vocals were done in my dining room, piano and drums were recorded in my parents' living room, with the kitchen door closed to minimize bird chirps from the parakeets. Both are squarish rooms with wood floors. The bass was recorded at my bass player's house, with the amp in a small wood-floored room.

Tracked to ProTools digi002, mixed "in the box" on a Mix3 with Control|24.

...There is a more recent mix of this that adds two more drum sets to bolster the drum sound.

Enjoy!
Last edited by JGriffin on Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

dictaphone
pushin' record

Post by dictaphone » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:52 am

Thanks for the feedback. Mom and Dad was recorded track by track. Drums with a scratch guitar. Then all tracks were overdubbed. Hello was recorded with both guitars and drums live, then bass and vocals were dubbed.

Thanks
Rick

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:56 am

stevemoss, I'm getting page not found error.

jaredbyline
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jaredbyline » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:56 am

Okay don't tear me a new one. This is my 3rd recording ever, but I thought I'd get some criticisms from you all. If nothing else just have someone listen to what I've done. I think I did a few things well but I'll let someone else decide.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~jklemp

I used my Tascam 388 with a reel of 456
2 Oktava Mk-319's
1 SM 57
1 SM 58
Samson Resolv 50a monitors
2 Behringer Virtualizers
1 Behringer Compressor

dictaphone
pushin' record

Post by dictaphone » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:02 am

I apologize if this post belongs somewhere else. I always go to general recording or the for sale section.

dwlb those drums sound huge.

Albro Swift
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Albro Swift » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:39 am

http://www.felicialoud.com/downloads/

These were all recorded with:

Drums:
- RODE NT-1 overheads
- PZM / Rode NTK / Sm-58 / Speaker on the kick
- sm58 / Rode NTK on the Snare

Bass - DI
Guitar - Sm57 / DI

Rhodes - DI / NT-1's on Cabinet

Vocals - NTK through RNC or Beta58 using an Altec 436b for mic pre and compression.

Everything recorded in one basement room, except for some piano overdubs. Used the garage for an echo chamber.

All mics through mackie 1202 preamps --> Motu 828 --> Cubase SX 1.03

Mixed in the box, mastered at RFI[/url]

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:40 am

fixed - I forgot to put the subdirectory into that URL

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:42 pm

dictaphone wrote: dwlb those drums sound huge.
thanks, man.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:49 pm

dictaphone--just listened to "Mom and Dad." Love the guitar work--gets a little Afghan Whigs-y at the end with the slide stuff, the rest sounds like an electric sitar almost. I like the vocal treatment a bunch. I'm amazed by how completely the drums define my perception of what kind of song I'm hearing.

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:11 pm

Ok...I'll play. Here's the record I just released!

For the songs, click the link in my signature. You can either hear the entire record streaming from the main page or check some of the individual Mp3s on the MUSIC page.

The record was all recorded on my HD24 at 24/48 in my humble basement studio except for DRUMS on 3 songs: Alright, ...When the Last, and Taking the Long Way Home. I brought my machine, my preamps and my Beyer M160s to the studio for those tracks. (More on that below)

Preamps: A Davisound TB-6 (4 ch.) for everything except toms, drum room and hat. A friend's Digimax LE was used for those things. For the 3 songs whose drums were done elsewhere, I used the Davisound on Overheads and some Neves on the rest.

Mics:

Drums: M88 on kick, 57 or Senn 441 on Snare, 57 on hi-tom, D112 on Lo-Tom, Rode NT5 on hat (when needed), Beyer M160s on Overheads and Blue Baby Bottle as Drum Room (behind an office cube wall).

For the 3 songs done elsewhere: D12 on Kick, 441 on Snare, Senn 421s on Toms, KM84 on Hat, M160s on Overheads and RCA 77dx as Drum Room.

Everything else: Baby Bottle, 441 or M160 on Electric Guitar, Baby Bottle on Acoustic, EV 666 on all vocals, 441 on Rhodes (micing my guitar amp), Synth was direct, Bass was split between regular DI (my Davisound) and a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI (I love that thing!) for 2 different tones and Percussion and Handclaps were done with the M160 as well.

I don't have a great board...just a Mackie 8 Bus used for monitoring and no real outboard compressors so we took my machine out to John Vanderslice's Tiny Telephone and mixed there. 1/2" tape is nice! :wink:

Hope that's enough detail.....

heylow

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:50 pm

heylow wrote:Ok...I'll play. Here's the record I just released!

For the songs, click the link in my signature. You can either hear the entire record streaming from the main page or check some of the individual Mp3s on the MUSIC page.

The record was all recorded on my HD24 at 24/48 in my humble basement studio except for DRUMS on 3 songs: Alright, ...When the Last, and Taking the Long Way Home. I brought my machine, my preamps and my Beyer M160s to the studio for those tracks. (More on that below)

Preamps: A Davisound TB-6 (4 ch.) for everything except toms, drum room and hat. A friend's Digimax LE was used for those things. For the 3 songs whose drums were done elsewhere, I used the Davisound on Overheads and some Neves on the rest.

Mics:

Drums: M88 on kick, 57 or Senn 441 on Snare, 57 on hi-tom, D112 on Lo-Tom, Rode NT5 on hat (when needed), Beyer M160s on Overheads and Blue Baby Bottle as Drum Room (behind an office cube wall).

For the 3 songs done elsewhere: D12 on Kick, 441 on Snare, Senn 421s on Toms, KM84 on Hat, M160s on Overheads and RCA 77dx as Drum Room.

Everything else: Baby Bottle, 441 or M160 on Electric Guitar, Baby Bottle on Acoustic, EV 666 on all vocals, 441 on Rhodes (micing my guitar amp), Synth was direct, Bass was split between regular DI (my Davisound) and a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI (I love that thing!) for 2 different tones and Percussion and Handclaps were done with the M160 as well.

I don't have a great board...just a Mackie 8 Bus used for monitoring and no real outboard compressors so we took my machine out to John Vanderslice's Tiny Telephone and mixed there. 1/2" tape is nice! :wink:

Hope that's enough detail.....

heylow
wow, that's some great stuff! the music, I mean, but the gear, website, etc. I especially like the spoon-iness of the track (one my fav bands). Congrats on a dope album! So you guys went to TT to mixdown, huh? How was that? Was it worth it? What did the tracks sound like before....I'd love to know.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:53 pm

Korg MS2000 direct into mixer and Maple acoustic mic'd with a SM57 and a 219, mixer, a/d, iBook, Bias Deck

Thats all I do these days.
boobs are life's fountain