Is a 4-track cassette the center of your home studio?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Is a 4-track cassette the center of your home studio?

Post by Echos Myron » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:22 pm

Just wondering if anyone here still has a home studio that centers around a cassette 4-track? I've been itching to get back to it and buy a 424 after using ProTools for a couple years (and 'cause Tascam has supposedly stopped production). Larger analog decks are out of the question with my home space and budget, and I really miss that simple machine.

Plus, I was never big on plug-ins.

aikan
audio school graduate

Re: Is a 4-track cassette the center of your home studio?

Post by aikan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:24 pm

i don't know if i really have a "home studio", since i've recorded a grand total of 2 recordings that were more than a girl and an acoustic guitar (on a side note: is it just me?), and those 2 recordings were of the band i'm in.

anyway, the first recording was on cassette 4-track (yamaha mt100II that i got off ebay) with two mics (57 and 58). that was mixed down onto the computer in a basic wave editor and burned to cd without any real processing except cutting off the clicks and such.

the second recording, the drums were recorded onto cassette, then transferred into my recently purchased copy of n-Track Studio, and the rest of the tracks were done straight into the computer using the four-track as a mixer/preamp.

the second one is cleaner and has more high-end, although it may be because i used way too much eq on the drums to make them sound like they weren't recorded with three dynamic mics (57,58, and a shure "vocal performer" mic). on the other hand, it's not as loud or exciting sounding. i was really concerned about clipping when mixing because i could see the red lights flashing on the vumeter; on the first recording, when i mixed into the computer, i didn't have a vumeter, so i just mixed as loud as possible without distortion. on the other hand, the performances vary wildly; that may be the key difference.

sorry to ramble on, hope you found it interesting. i can definitely see the danger of going too far into the complexity of "real" recording. i don't know if i can see myself becoming a professional recording engineer, so spending a lot of money and effort on making everything more professional could be a little ridiculous. as i see it, the most important thing to have is experience, and apparently the only experience i'm going to need is experience at recording a girl with an acoustic guitar.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:59 am

HBach wrote:Just wondering if anyone here still has a home studio that centers around a cassette 4-track? I've been itching to get back to it and buy a 424 after using ProTools for a couple years (and 'cause Tascam has supposedly stopped production). Larger analog decks are out of the question with my home space and budget, and I really miss that simple machine.

Plus, I was never big on plug-ins.
Yeah - a 424mkIII.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

VeronicaSawyer
gettin' sounds

Post by VeronicaSawyer » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:13 am

I was using a Tascam 414 mk2 for ages, but one of the tracks packed in, along with the DBX. Now I'm working with this little primitive Fostex X-12. Sounds lovely!
Mystery train
3-way plane
Expressway...
To Penkhull

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:14 am

VeronicaSawyer wrote: Now I'm working with this little primitive Fostex X-12. Sounds lovely!
Ditto too (as well as the 424, I mean). Apart from the last bit. For 'lovely' read 'wanky-woo'.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:47 am

bobbydj wrote:Yeah - a 424mkIII.
Yeah - what he said.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:44 am

i dunno if i can call it a home studio, but yeah. i have a teac 144. it's incredible. i would definitely get a 4-track and get back into that sound if i were you.

BandyLou
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BandyLou » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:17 pm

yup
tascam 464

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:42 pm

Marantz pmd740! I can get recordings as good sounding or better then the "affordable" studios recording band's demos and 1-3 day CD projects! Fun and your the boss.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

rafter
alignin' 24-trk

Post by rafter » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:51 pm

tascam 424 mk3!
%100 pure rock and noise
i record everything w/the dbx on and then mix with it off for extra hiss and compression and hi end excitement.
honestly i like it better than my studer a80. no shittin.
tho my 388 ties with it.
i'm making a whole record on the 4trak right now... and loving it.
well, 4 track plus computtereer which i guess is cheating. but track on your 4trk, dump to 'puter, edit and minorly odub (odubs get dumped back to the 4 track for consistancy and then back into 'puter)...
heaven on earth = 4 track + computer
my 2 scents

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:29 pm

rafter wrote:heaven on earth = 4 track + computer
amen brotha! i do the same thing. using the computer for a few more tracks...i only use a handful of plug-ins. it actually works really well...and i've gotten some great sounding stuff out of it. at this point...i think the only thing that would get me to move out of my 424 would be a 388. ooohhhhhh. that thing is sweet. :hearts:
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:37 am

Oh darn it!! Just when I'm at the point of rebuilding my home recording setup, and finally retiring the"beast", (a Tascam 234 rackmount model without a mixer) You guys have me reconsidering. I had really only turned it on a couple of times since I began using the computer.. That was just to use it to mix to. I really can't explain why I like the sound of my mixes coming off that thing.. Left to 1&2, right to 3&4. Most of the time with the dbx on.. It also gave me the option of doing simple location recording.. I just thought it was time to put it out to pasture, being that it's as old as it is. I think I better think it out again....poux

thrdgll
pluggin' in mics

Post by thrdgll » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:46 pm

I've only recently gone digital, but I use my old Yamaha 4T as a mixer and occasionally I'll even record a track or two on cassette before running it into Cool Edit. Certain things just seem to sound better on good ol' magnetic tape.

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:01 pm

I love my 414mkII. Had it for about four years and only had one problem wih the AC jack which had to be resoldered. I wish I had enough money to get another one (maybe a 424 with the mid eq I need) so I dont have to bounce back and forth between my Teac 2-track.

elfkicker
studio intern

Post by elfkicker » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:25 pm

I love my 424 III! Recorded loads of stuff with it... great machine. After figuring out the basics, I got a cheap DAT machine from eBay and just bounced the hell out of the Tascam. Great fun!

I got a Yamaha AW4416 a while ago, but I still sometimes track drums with the Tascam first then dump them onto the Yamaha before I add other stuff. I loved the sound of drums going through a 4-track hitting the reds before I knew what compression was.

Viva la 4-track!