geeky transformer question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

geeky transformer question

Post by ubertar » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:07 am

Can I use a step-up transformer from a microphone in an instrument? If you had a guitar that has a weak signal, could you use a transformer to give it a little boost? After all, a pickup isn't much different from a dynamic mic element.
I've been trying this, and I thought it was working, until I set up a switch to be able to bypass the transformer. Guess what, no difference with the switch in either position. :shock: I tried wiring it up a number of different ways and got pretty much the same results. Is there a way to make this work, or is the whole idea fundamentally flawed?

And now for the dumb question: Ok, so there's 4 wires coming out of this thing, 2 for each coil. If you have it in front of you so it looks like an H, the top two are one coil, and the bottom two are the other, right?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: geeky transformer question

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:14 am

Transformers are useful for correcting impedance mismatches. I'm guessing you didn't have the problem in the first place...

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:27 am

Right, not really a mismatch, just kind of a weak signal. Not really that different if you think about it though, right? I'm not expecting a boost like a preamp would give, but an audible difference of some sort.

elberto
audio school graduate

Post by elberto » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:40 am

I think you'd only hear the difference in certain circumstances.

One example:

Putting effects before Fuzz-Face type circuits sounds notoriously bad--generally because of impedance mismatches. One trick is to stick a transformer at the input of the fuzz circuit, which seems to correct things.

I think a transformer/buffer could only potentially give you a "clearer" sound, as opposed to a boost, unless you're using long runs of cable (which the buffer will most certainly help you drive)

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:44 am

cool, thanks. at first I thought it was sounding almost "compressed" but after A/Bing with the switch I decided it was all in my head. maybe not...