Need help rewiring Sony cardioid condenser with XLR

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Red Favorite
audio school graduate

Need help rewiring Sony cardioid condenser with XLR

Post by Red Favorite » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:21 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I had a question...I have an old Sony cardioid electret condenser mic (ECM-95S) that came with a two-track reel to reel tape recorder. It's square, and has two plugs on the end of a hard-wired cable. One is 1/8 inch, and the other is a little smaller. I know one is for audio and the other is for the phantom power, but I want to re-wire it with an xlr so I can power it from my TubeMP mic pre. Could someone tell me if this is possible (voltage, etc.), and what the pin layout would be? I have no idea if this mic would even sound "good", but it might add an interesting flavor or something, and would be worth the effort to me if I knew it could work. Thanks!

Red

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Need help rewiring Sony cardioid condenser with XLR

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:44 pm

Are you sure about those connections? Often the smaller plug was just connected to the switch on the microphone, and was used to start/stop the tape.

Red Favorite
audio school graduate

Post by Red Favorite » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:29 pm

Well...no, actually I just assumed it was. Assuming you're correct, how would I wire it up? Thanks for the quick reply by the way...

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:07 pm

I really don't know what this mic might be like...so here are a couple of possible answers.

By any chance, does the mic have a battery? There might be something to slide or unscrew to get at it. If so, then you could just use a 1/8"-1/4" headphone adapter and go into a 1/4" input.

Does the 1/8" jack have 2 or 3 contacts? If it has 3, then one of those probably does power and the other signal. I don't know which.

If 2 (just tip and sleeve), then probably you need to apply a DC voltage and then use a capacitor to block the DC from getting into whatever mixer or amp input you connect it to.

Hey, do you still have the recorder? Maybe you could just snag a line or headphone output from the recorder and let it worry about how to interface to the mic.

Red Favorite
audio school graduate

Post by Red Favorite » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:16 pm

Oh man, do I feel stupid....there was this really obvious screw in the middle of the case...i opened it up & inside there was a corroded AA battery! Luckily, it didn't seem like it leaked on the guts of the mic. I dug out Tape Op issue 1 (old school), and found the PZM mic article with the balanced wiring instructions, so I should be OK from here on out...
sheesh, what was I thinking?
thanks again for your help...