soundcard with xlr inputs?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
schnozzle
buyin' gear

soundcard with xlr inputs?

Post by schnozzle » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:37 pm

Is there such a thing? Or is that overkill? I'm thinking about using my existing windows computer to mix down to stereo from my 8-track rtr, and my board has xlr outputs. Okay, basically I'm looking for a soundcard (used would be fine) that has good AD converters so I can mix down to cd-r. It doesn't have to have xlr inputs, but that would be nice.

Any suggestions? I'm fairly clueless when it comes to digital.

Randall
pushin' record

Re: soundcard with xlr inputs?

Post by Randall » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:56 pm

you will need an adapter of some sort to go straight to a soundcard, if you just want to enjoy a quality 2 track mixdown from an analog source, the are many options, pretty cheap too, M-box,Ego-sys (ESI would be my preference), lots of other offer products to allow you to do this cheap, should upgrade your soundcard in general as well...this would be ideal for you,, 24 bit 192K mixdown into say,,Wavelab,,master, burn straight to CD!!!

http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=16
"tune that thing son"

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:24 pm

Okay, so forgive me...but this ESI box isn't actually a soundcard, correct? It's just an adaptor?

dgochenour
pushin' record

Post by dgochenour » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:55 pm

Do you mean *on* the card itself? Does it matter? I've never seen one, and my guess would be it's because they won't fit.

Many cards have cable fanouts or TRS jacks, or even a breakout box. I have a 2 channel M-Audio interface for this same purpose. It's USB, but it'll do 24 bits @ 96KHz and it was $197. It's not a Rosetta, but it's a Hell of a lot more affordable.
don gochenour

dgochenour
pushin' record

Post by dgochenour » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:55 pm

oops, double post.
Last edited by dgochenour on Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
don gochenour

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:01 pm

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:24 pm

Will that Delta card do a good job? I need good A-D converters...I could save up for that if need be.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming...

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:18 pm

actually the one I gave you a link to is a firewire unit, plug it in to a firewire port, load the software, BAM you are good to go...less tha 100 bucks too I believe, and you could hook a pair of monitors to it and do all your windows stuff as well, myself, for an analog mixdown scenario I would want to capture with as high of a bit and sample rate as possible, for you that is going to be 24/192, you can then dither to 16/44.1 to burn to a CD....that website and company has other options that would work just as well..the other suggestions you got here are all good too..just a matter of choice.
"tune that thing son"

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:44 am

schnozzle wrote:Is there such a thing?
I've never seen it- why use big XLR inputs when the same thing can be achieved with TRS plugs and can fit oin one PCI card slot space, whereas XLRs wouldn't.

Remember that the XLRs are just the medium of connection, and the signal (the message) is not specific to that type of connection. get a pair (or better yet MAKE a pair) of XLR-TRS cables and fater than you can say "Bob's Yer Uncle" you're hooked up.

Get a card with stereo TRS ins and Outs. I love my Echo Audio MIA, The ones without Midi are cheap on ebay, as they have been discontinued by EchoAudio, and they can go up to 24/96. They are Line Level ins and outs- no Mic Pres here- but that would be correct with your board.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:54 am

What robo said, balanced xlr-trs line level cables will do.

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:15 pm

Would you have to use one of them impedence transformer thingies (like when you plug in a Shure 57 into your Peavy PA that only has 1/4" inputs) when going from the board's xlr outs to the card's inputs?

dgochenour
pushin' record

Post by dgochenour » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:52 pm

schnozzle wrote:Would you have to use one of them impedence transformer thingies (like when you plug in a Shure 57 into your Peavy PA that only has 1/4" inputs) when going from the board's xlr outs to the card's inputs?
No transformer needed, your board's output and the card's inputs are both at line level. (Take note of the operating level of each, +4 or -10. If you have the option of matching them, you should.)
don gochenour

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:57 pm

The problem here is that if we are talking about a soundblaster card or any other commercial grade sound card his audio is going to to be Truncated to 16/44.1 through crappy A/D converters and it is going to sound like ass, he is going to have to upgrade to a better quality A/D conversion to avoid this!!
"tune that thing son"

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:01 pm

Randall wrote:The problem here is that if we are talking about a soundblaster card or any other commercial grade sound card his audio is going to to be Truncated to 16/44.1 through crappy A/D converters and it is going to sound like ass, he is going to have to upgrade to a better quality A/D conversion to avoid this!!
which is why i recommended the MIA, silly. balanced inputs, -10/+4 both supported, up to 24/96 performance and around 100 smackers on SleazeBay if you go for the one w/o midi. No Firewire BS, no MBox- just Stereo line level Balanced ins and outs, like the poster requested. if the OP has an old 'puter he wouldn't have firewire, anyway, cupcake. I use my MIA on my home 500mHz eMachines, no probs.
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:46 am

Yeah, this sounds about right for meee.

On practical terms...I sometimes see these big, expensive, stand-alone A-D converter units in high-end video editing systems. Do people also use these kinds of things for audio? Do they offer a big quality leap over the kinds of all-in-one soundcards that we're talkin' about here?