Compressing Over Heads

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Compressing Over Heads

Post by dokushoka » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:29 pm

How do you guys handle compressing your overheads? Thus far, I've used two inserts on the separate left and right overhead channels with two mono compressors with identical settings. Would it be better to link the compressors so that they behave identically like a stereo compressor, or send the two channels out to a stereo aux and insert a stereo compressor on the aux??
Last edited by dokushoka on Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SecondSon
pushin' record

Re: Compressing Over Heads

Post by SecondSon » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:29 am

Good question, I would also like to know this. I do mine in Mono also, but I far from an expert on drums.
Knock Knock...
Who's there?
"I eat mop"

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:57 am

Unless you want the stereo image to sound all wacky whenever a drum is hit, you should link the compressors. Running them to an aux would work.

dgochenour
pushin' record

Post by dgochenour » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:26 am

I was just playing around with this last night. I ran an XY pair of MK012s through a stereo-linked dbx 166. I know, not exactly a Neve, but it's the only 2 channel compressor I have. I used pretty heavy compression, and adjusted the attack & release times so the 166 opened up in tempo with the song. Sounded pretty cool w/ an old boomy ludwig kit.

Like dynomike said, not linking may cause the stereo field to shift when there is a loud sound far off center. This could work as an effect, depending on the song, I guess.

last nights 2 cents worth of experience.
don gochenour

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:11 am

The search function seems to be broken....
Wing and I were talking about this. With mono, unlinked compressors, a sound in the left channel above the threshold of the compressor will attenuate the left channel only. Now, stereo imagery relies upon time and power differences to convey location. So if your crash cymbals hits loud, the left side compresses, and the signal of everything in the left channel drops. Now, if your snare was being routed equally to both compressors, the snare in the right channel is louder, for that instant, than the snare in the left channel. Louder=closer in stereo perception, so everytime your crash hits in the left, your snare slides over to the right.

It can be a cool effect, but as said above, to maintain stereo integrity, both channels need to be attenuated the same amount for the same durations. Stereo linking does this.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:24 am

Electricide wrote: With mono, unlinked compressors, a sound in the left channel above the threshold of the compressor will attenuate the left channel only. Now, stereo imagery relies upon time and power differences to convey location. So if your crash cymbals hits loud, the left side compresses, and the signal of everything in the left channel drops. Now, if your snare was being routed equally to both compressors, the snare in the right channel is louder, for that instant, than the snare in the left channel. Louder=closer in stereo perception, so everytime your crash hits in the left, your snare slides over to the right.
Funny, I did this yesterday with two different compressors (an LA4 and a Level Loc). But yes, if you don't want wacky movement, you're better off linking the two channels.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:21 am

Just a little thread hijacking here. but it's related...

Heads up...I guess right now Guitar Center is trying to get rid of their Focusrite Penta compressors. They must be coming out with a new model or something (or has anybody heard bad things about these?). They are in fact linked stereo compressors, and they're opto, which is my personal preference. They normally sell for $400 but they're getting rid of them for $200 right now. I'm going down to buy a couple today unless any TapeOppers tell me they are evil.

They also have a kind of staggered mosfet circuit to dial in harmonics (the ol' "Tube Sound" marketing ploy. A little wierd because it's a linked stereo compressor accessible from left/right TRS jacks on the rear, but it also includes a MONO class A mic preamp with phantom. I guess the idea is to get stereo imaging with the width control out of a mono source if you use the preamp.

Back to the thread...
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:04 pm

Electricide wrote:The search function seems to be broken....
Wing and I were talking about this. With mono, unlinked compressors, a sound in the left channel above the threshold of the compressor will attenuate the left channel only. Now, stereo imagery relies upon time and power differences to convey location. So if your crash cymbals hits loud, the left side compresses, and the signal of everything in the left channel drops. Now, if your snare was being routed equally to both compressors, the snare in the right channel is louder, for that instant, than the snare in the left channel. Louder=closer in stereo perception, so everytime your crash hits in the left, your snare slides over to the right.

It can be a cool effect, but as said above, to maintain stereo integrity, both channels need to be attenuated the same amount for the same durations. Stereo linking does this.
and if you would like some more detailed information on this-- in fact HEARING exactly what electride is talking about, go here and check out the sounds and discussion over them: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=9198

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:31 pm

wing wrote: and if you would like some more detailed information on this-- in fact HEARING exactly what electride is talking about, go here and check out the sounds and discussion over them: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=9198
Wing - stupid question: First off, I just listened to the two different drum tracks, and the difference is truly profound. I haven't run into this problem, and i'm guessing that's because i've mainly tracked overheads via the RNC, which is a stereo compressor (not a dual mono). So, then, with your set-up, exactly how did you go about stereo-linking the two compressed channels?

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:34 pm

concubine wrote:
wing wrote: and if you would like some more detailed information on this-- in fact HEARING exactly what electride is talking about, go here and check out the sounds and discussion over them: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=9198
Wing - stupid question: First off, I just listened to the two different drum tracks, and the difference is truly profound. I haven't run into this problem, and i'm guessing that's because i've mainly tracked overheads via the RNC, which is a stereo compressor (not a dual mono). So, then, with your set-up, exactly how did you go about stereo-linking the two compressed channels?

Many compressors....and Wing's as well, I'd guess.....have a button you engage. Just think of the RNC as Stereo linked with no "disengage".

heylow