Behringer UB802 8in/2out mixer

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
drew w
takin' a dinner break

Behringer UB802 8in/2out mixer

Post by drew w » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:58 am

I have an 8 track reel to reel and need to mix a stereo sampler and stereo drum machine as well as some effects for same down to two tracks. Any thoughts on this cheapy?
thanks for your thoughts...

Behringer EuroRack UB802
Ultra low-noise design 8-input 2-bus mixer with premium mic preamplifiers

http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/pro ... 41&clid=67

note: i'm not too concerned about the mic pre's which i'm thinking might suck...i'll be mostly using the line inputs

drew w
takin' a dinner break

Re: Behringer UB802 8in/2out mixer

Post by drew w » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:38 am

if anyone's interested...
here's a link to some reviews on the Tascam messageboard regarding the Behringer cheap mixers.
in a nutshell...some said great, great for the money
some said crap, stay the hell away
http://www.tascam.com/forums/showthread ... adid=31274

dbc
studio intern

Post by dbc » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:27 am

I have this mixer and am quite pleased with it. My main reason to buy it was to supply phantom power to my pair of Samson C01 mics. My brother in law has one that he uses when he plays and sings in church. He runs a guitar and mic with the out going to the church PA. He can control his level and general tone from there. Not bad for the money.

People hate Berhinger stuff because the think it's a Mackie rip off. I say, "Who cares?" It's affordable, and does the trick...
=8^{DC

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:12 am

I've got a slightly beefier model. My main complaint is how nastily and easily it distorts... doesn't even have to hit the red, often anything venturing into the orange is fair game for a brutal crackling. Of course the lower you turn down the levels, vainly hoping to reign in the potential sibilant that may ruin the mix, the higher the presence of the box's self noise, which is low but not unnoticable.

I nevertheless enjoy mine quite a bit: it's cheap, definately a better value than a comparable Mackie. (I hate Mackies, though.. I'm biased!)
Sounds maybe a little thin but not really bad at all. So far it's actually been pretty reliable. I use it mainly to do weird pedal mixes, so it gets all kind of abuse... pushing knobs around with my toes, etc.

For what it sounds like you're doing I say go for it.

drew w
takin' a dinner break

Post by drew w » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:19 am

how nastily and easily it distorts
just curious...do you experience the distortion with the line inputs or do you think the distortion could be coming from the mic pre amps?
thanks.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:31 am

drew w wrote: Behringer EuroRack UB802
Ultra low-noise design 8-input 2-bus mixer with premium mic preamplifiers

note: i'm not too concerned about the mic pre's which i'm thinking might suck...i'll be mostly using the line inputs
My experience has been that behringer mixers sound better than mackies, but are just as unreliable. I'd stay away from their compressors, or anything remotely complex - pure ass at that point. Their feedback destroyers work well though.

Unless you plan on taking this on the road, you should be fine. The line in pre's will still colour you sound, however...

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:08 pm

drew w wrote:
how nastily and easily it distorts
just curious...do you experience the distortion with the line inputs or do you think the distortion could be coming from the mic pre amps?
thanks.
The inputs (both mic and line) actually seem to have more give than whatever circuitry's doing the mixing, if that makes any sense. So to answer your question, both, because the main offender seems to be further on down the line.

drew w
takin' a dinner break

Post by drew w » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:14 pm

Code: Select all

the main offender seems to be further on down the line.
thanks for the tip!