reverb units/options

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

reverb units/options

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:48 pm

so, i've got the following:

spx900, spx90, alesis midiverb 2. looking for something a little more real sounding, specifically on drums. my room is pretty small (basement with pretty low ceiling) so i try to negate it as much as i can when recording.

been meaning to try pumping stuff thru a speaker into the room and just micing that just for the hell of it, but haven't gotten around to it.

any suggestions? i could probably drop around $1000 and would prefer to get something used as my money would go a lot further.

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: reverb units/options

Post by musikman316 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:59 pm

I would get a Lex or TC unit in the $600 range and buy a spring reverb for the rack too, this way you have some more sound options.

Later,
musik

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:07 pm

You could buy/build a plate reverb. I've been thinking about atempting to build one but right now I don't have the time or money. It looks cool though.

Matt.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:21 pm

My favorite realistic-sounding 'verbs are the smaller rooms in the Sony DPS-R7 and the Klark Teknik DN780. The Lexicon PCM60 also has some great smaller-type sounds, which to me are great on drums and piano, but little else.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:38 pm

thanks for the responses folks. and thanks especially for the input on the 900. i have a few settings i'm ok with, but haven't really toyed around with reverb times shorter than 1 sec. i will try it for sure

i've never been too stoked on the lexicon stuff i've heard.. i think pcm 90s? but that was a while ago and my tastes have certainly changed a few times since then. i've heard good things about bhe mpx1, but don't you need the mpx5 to go with it for the initial delay? i know i saw an mpx 15 once that i think we a combination of the two.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:16 am

There are a couple of reverb units that I never hear anyone else talk about that I think are pretty powerful and probably VERY affordable, if you find them used.

The Zoom 9010 (i think) which is an older huge 1U rack unit that was slow as hell to load patches but had a really nice sounding reverb.

The Ensoniq DP/2 and DP/4 both have some powerful reverbs in them. I see stuff like these going for less than $200 now and then. They put a lot of processing power into these older beasts, and though they may not rival a TC M3000 or a Sony, they sound better than your average Alesis box in the same price range.

Roger

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:52 am

On a previous reverb thread, someone recommended the Alesis Wedge to me, and I love it! It's insanely tweakable and has interesting presets. A few people (at Harmony-Central and the like) have complained that it was thin, but I suspect they never found the LPF control. Cheap, too.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:12 am

For snare drum I've yet to find a rival for the 'Brass Plate', 'Snare Chamber' or 'Tiled Room' programs in the PCM70. I'll take one of those too my grave I'm sure!