Led Zeppelin DVD

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
lobstman
buyin' gear

Led Zeppelin DVD

Post by lobstman » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:11 am

A friend of mine brought the new Zeppelin DVD in to work today- pretty much what I expected- the early stuff is good (the Danish TV footage is amazing, Jimmy Page plays the paisley telecaster), the later stuff is mostly flat and uninspired.

The thing I thought I'd mention to the board was that in the Earl's Court footage from '75, they're using a pair of RE-20s as overheads! In the Royal Albert Hall stuff from '70, it looks like a pair of U-67s, but don't quote me on that.

We're only listening on TV speakers, but it sounds pretty good.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Re: Led Zeppelin DVD

Post by NewAndImprov » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:25 am

lobstman wrote:A friend of mine brought the new Zeppelin DVD in to work today- pretty much what I expected- the early stuff is good (the Danish TV footage is amazing, Jimmy Page plays the paisley telecaster), the later stuff is mostly flat and uninspired.

The thing I thought I'd mention to the board was that in the Earl's Court footage from '75, they're using a pair of RE-20s as overheads! In the Royal Albert Hall stuff from '70, it looks like a pair of U-67s, but don't quote me on that.

We're only listening on TV speakers, but it sounds pretty good.
I've been watching it in little chunks, and I agree with your assessment, excpet that the stuff from '79 ROCKS, IMHO. The band seemed revitalized, and really playing their asses off, unlike the mid-70's shows where they seem more into being rock stars than really rocking. The concert from 70 is amazing, though, Page's solo spot is totally cool.

Mason
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Mason » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:41 am

Check out the footage that plays on the menu screens. One of the screens is a "Song Remains the Same" that looks like a bootleg 8mm shot coupled with the soundboard. LZ violently confiscated all kinds of bootlegs on their tours (according to the books) and I think it's hilarious that they're now given a kind of official release.

I love the DVD. I'd gotten away from Zep in the last few years (it had become an unhealthy obsession) and it's great so hear something new. It's always an honor to hear and SEE Bonham drumming. There's even a brief bit where he answers an interview question. He sounds so polite! From all the great rumors about him, you'd expect him so speak in the foulest tone, using the most vile language, occasionally belching up chunks of the groupie he'd just finished devouring... But he's a gentleman with very carefully styled hair.

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:10 pm

i bought it this weekend and watched in awe for 2 days!
And yes, hearing bonham speak was such a trip.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:21 pm

I think it's great, too. I also liked the fact that the CD and DVD don't overlap. That's cool.

-mark

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:39 pm

actually, the immigrant song from australia that is on the dvd is synched to the board tape that was released on the CDs. Funny, there is Australian B&W (I think maybe b&w video even) footage of that same concert that wasnt issued on the box. If I remember correctly, rock and roll and maybe whole lotta love were floating around for a long long time. There is a good handful of stuff that I have that could easily fill another dvd, page has already been quoted stating that that was everything, which may be true, but surely open for conjecture. Seeing that RAH stuff on a nice sharp DVD is nothing short of amazing, I wore out the video tape I had of that stuff when I was in high school.

dave

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:22 am

Have a read of this chaps.Not my opinion but worth a look.

www.furious.com/perfect/jimmypage.html
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:12 am

I think the DVD peaks with (In Through the Out Door) stuff. ..giant sound!