what could this noise be?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
kristopher612
gettin' sounds

what could this noise be?

Post by kristopher612 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:56 am

my flanger started making a wierd noise last night. kind of like an elongated pop or something. could it just be crapping out and need replacing. it's about 15 years old, but i love it. with a few mods i would love it more. so does anyone here make pedals, and would you be willing to take on a project if you do?
could it be a few components crapping out, or is it just dying? im worried. help me if you can. if need be i'll record a sample of what it's doing. all i have to do to get it to happen is switch it on. thanks for the help or whatever you may or may not offer.
kris

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Re: what could this noise be?

Post by kristopher612 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:45 pm

it's not doing it anymore. thanks for looking if anyone out there builds pedals i want to have one of these things made with a few mods. let me know my email address is kristopher612@cox.net

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:56 pm

it's not doing it anymore. thanks for looking if anyone out there builds pedals i want to have one of these things made with a few mods. let me know my email address is kristopher612@cox.net

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:29 am

If it only happens when the unit is cold and the popping subsides after an hour or so of being on, it's a bad cap. They dry out and when they cool down, they exhibit that kind of behaviour. When they heat up, they swell and work at their best. New caps don't expand and contract as much.