Metal Distortion out of a Marshall?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
deadair
steve albini likes it

Metal Distortion out of a Marshall?

Post by deadair » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:39 pm

Lately I've encountered this problem numerous times where I'm recording a band looking for a metal/mesa rectifier type sound, but all the amps I have are of the rock/tube variety. any suggestions for pedals to get that crunch the metal dudes are after? its not really my style, so i'd never really concerned myself with tracking those types of pedals down.

by the way, i have, and know are not what i want:
tube screamer
rat
big muff
mxr distortion+
mxr micro-amp
boss metal zone (close, but noisy and crappy at the same time)

lay it on me.

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Re: Metal Distortion out of a Marshall?

Post by NewYorkDave » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:48 pm

deadair wrote:boss metal zone (close, but noisy and crappy at the same time)
I was going to suggest that one if it wasn't already on your list. Noisy, crappy, no mids, lots of fizz? Sounds like Mesa! ;)

I once let a studio owner talk me into using that pedal on a record I did with my band eleven years ago. What a huge mistake.

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by OM15.2 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:51 pm

one of those higher level amp simulators (line 6 etc) might be the way to go in your situation. That will give you plenty of variety for all situations from blues to rock to metal. Just an idea if that's in your price range.

It suprises me though that if a band has a particular guitar sound they want they don't get their shit together with their own pedals and amp setup. Like what do they play through live? If that's 'their' sound then that's what they should take to recording.

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:54 pm

Actually, a lot of bands entering the studio have formed the impression that they should be using different, "better" shit than the stuff they use live. Why? I don't know. I think this is probably more of a temptation if the studio in question has a guitar/amp/drum collection.

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by OM15.2 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:05 pm

NewYorkDave wrote:Actually, a lot of bands entering the studio have formed the impression that they should be using different, "better" shit than the stuff they use live. Why? I don't know. I think this is probably more of a temptation if the studio in question has a guitar/amp/drum collection.
yeah sure everyone loves to play with cool studio gear but unless you've got the studio booked for a Pet Sounds length session a band really needs to know how to get the sound they want.

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:07 pm

in my experience many bands have an idea of what sound they want, but have equipment that won't give it. mind you i'm recordin ga lot of punk bands doign demos and whatnot. these are not the people that have spent the most amount of money on their shit, or that much time researching what is really their best use of said money.

as for the metal zone, dave you got off lucky.... i was talked into using it by an engineer, and then used it on three more records before i realize what a tone-sapping box it was. ug........

oh, and maybe i've never encountered a 'high level' line-6, but all their stuff i've heard left a really nasty taste in my mouth... same goes for all 'modelling' gear.

SecondSon
pushin' record

Post by SecondSon » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:16 pm

I am in sort of metal band right now, and we use Line 6. Both my guitar players have the HD something head which is 1600, I play out of the Line 6 POD pro modeler, (ebay 500), and my bassist uses the bass POD. I think line 6 has great distortion for metal. I am not sure how the POD that is 250 sounds, but I can tell you that i like line 6. From my experience, all DOD, digitech, and boss pedals that attempt a metal sound get way too crunchy. They sound like chainsaws. The hughes and Ketner Vortex head is only like 500 and has a good crunch with some nice tone. It also has a contour knob that can take you from death metal to a more rock metal tone. Just some ideas. Marshall Valvestate heads have awesome metal distortion, but I think they are a little more. Don't know how much a 1x12 combo might cost though. Could be worth it.
Knock Knock...
Who's there?
"I eat mop"

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by OM15.2 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:19 pm

deadair wrote:oh, and maybe i've never encountered a 'high level' line-6, but all their stuff i've heard left a really nasty taste in my mouth... same goes for all 'modelling' gear.
yeah i dunno, I've only played around with a line 6 once or twice but I found it pretty nice when put through a loud amp. I guess it's a 'clearer' metal sound, ummm more like Machinehead than a full punk thrash sound, but everything is relative isn't it. Depends what you're after.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:27 pm

A lot of it is in the players hands. I played super heavy, modern metal sounding riffs with a tube driver pedal, and a marshall plexi.

Most of the metal guys I know use tube heads, like a triple rec or something even crazier like a JCM800, or JCM2000 thing. Maybe the rack marshall suff, or a valvestate if you sound like prong...

Something like a POD would be great for this, as there arent the "subtle tonal, and classic character of a tube amp" considerations happening, and you can get insane amounts of gain without all the noise.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:42 pm

I have a Marshall JCM Slash which is essentially the Jubilee series with cosmetic differences and I can get some mean metal tones out of it. crank the input gain and the master with a scooped EQ. It's awesome.

Kerry King uses Marshall, 'nuff said.

SecondSon
pushin' record

Post by SecondSon » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:45 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote: Maybe the rack marshall suff, or a valvestate if you sound like prong...
I was just checking out the 65 watt valvestate 1x12 and you can get for around 170 on ebay. I am thinking about doing this. Just to get something different than my line 6 stuff. Anyone got anything to say about the valvestate's. (VS65R)???? Metal??? Other than prong.
Knock Knock...
Who's there?
"I eat mop"

cactus
takin' a dinner break

Post by cactus » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:01 pm

ever listen to the Black Label Society's Sonic Brew?

those are some of the heaviest guitars i've ever heard, and i think he uses Marshalls.

mysteriousmammal
gettin' sounds

Post by mysteriousmammal » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:03 pm

Maybe you should buy a Mesa Twin pedal. That seems to be what everyone wants for metal right now (Triple Rectumfriers).

Are we talking Sludgy, Speedy, Crunchy-Thrashy, what?

SecondSon
pushin' record

Post by SecondSon » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:11 pm

Don't know if the previous post was directed to me, but I want sort of like a nothingface, blindside, disturbed, sort of sound. Not too crunchy, but still hella tough with a lot of tone.
Knock Knock...
Who's there?
"I eat mop"

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:25 pm

Marshall Valvestate amps have no balls and sound like shit. I would know, I've owned one. Trust me, stay away.