In need of quality mics

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
adoigi
ass engineer

In need of quality mics

Post by adoigi » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:36 am

Would anybody have some advice regarding a good option of condensor mic for overheads, im not into spending thousands, but if the quality of the mic is top-notch then I couldnt care what the price is!
So far ive looked at everything between the AKG C430,C3000,Rode Nt5's, Blue'S Baby-bottle, SE Electronics Se1 & The Studio projects C1!
Cheers -Aido

kcrusher
tinnitus

Re: In need of quality mics

Post by kcrusher » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:42 am

You can't go wrong with Schoeps, though those AKG 451B's are pretty sweet AND you can find them pretty cheap if you look around a bit.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

radmike
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by radmike » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:57 am

I have 2 c1000s' - ive gotten great full kit sound by placing them on the floor 6 ft out from the kit- picks up the a good mix of drums and cymbols, toms sound big and good.

some people don't like 'em as overheads- check em out.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:02 pm

yea, i agree with the Schoeps... every time i've heard em i've been wowed.

but also do check out the Stapes/averson audio mics... they are originally a tapeop born idea, and a lot of people here love them. The guy who makes them posts here from time to time... Eric, is it?

drliebs
gettin' sounds

Post by drliebs » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:18 pm

I really love 451's but they aren't budget mics. Unless you have a huge budget they will eventually get used for more than just overheads. Mics that are good on overheads are usually great for anything acoustic.

The RODE's tend to be a little bright to my ears but that might be good for overheads. RODE also makes a stereo mic which makes placement a lot easier, limiting, but acurate.
If it's not Scottish it's CRAP

Punkity
gettin' sounds

Post by Punkity » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:22 pm

From your list, I would suggest the Blue mic. I've never used the Baby Bottle but have used the Dragonfly and the Mouse. I'll bet the Baby Bottle is a good mic. I've never had much luck with the C1000S for overheads, though I find it to be usefull in other situations. I'd bet the C430 would do a better job.

For a little more money I'd suggest the Studio Projects M179 (you can find them for about $350 new). Don't own one, but have borrowed. Nice mic for overheads and general workhorse stuff. It makes me think of an AKG 414 but without as much "depth of field," "reach," or some other useless description. A couple of AKG 414 is a better option, but even more money (I see pairs on ebay for a grand). Best general-use mic in my (limited) collection.

As others have stated, the Schoeps are the real deal. Got a matched pair a couple of years ago and haven't regretted it once. Best mic I've ever used for acoustic instruments and stereo techniques. Not so great on voice and alot of rock instruments except for drums, piano and hammond. These things really shine for "classical" and jazz work, so they might not be exactly what you are looking for. A new pair of sequential bodies and matched cardiod caps go for around $1400.

If you do find yourself interested in something like the Schoeps, check out MBHO. Used a pair of those once for a jazz trio and they sounded a hell of a lot like my Schoeps. Kind of made me sad cause they cost a little less than half as much. This might be your ticket: MBHO.
Signage of the times.

alignin' 24-trk

Post by 01100011 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:22 pm

451's....i've used KM184s as overheads, but still prefer AKG 451s

AGCurry
steve albini likes it

Post by AGCurry » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:00 pm

All other things being equal, small-diaphragm mics will do a better job. I get good results with a pair of Rode NT5 or Oktava MC012. The Neumann KM184 will do an excellent job, of course. Shure SM81 is great for the job as well.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:15 pm

How about a pair of Royers or Coles? Or even the Josephson E22's.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:34 pm

Shure KSM27 or the Audio Technica 3035 mics should suffice on a budget. These are versatile and probably best in their class. As a side note, don't be wooed by the price of the Oktava MK219 or MK319- they suck. Both noisy AND dark.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:11 pm

Punkity wrote:.

For a little more money I'd suggest the Studio Projects M179 (you can find them for about $350 new). Don't own one, but have borrowed. Nice mic for overheads and general workhorse stuff. It makes me think of an AKG 414 but without as much "depth of field," "reach," or some other useless description.
I think you mean the CAD M179? It's a multipattern LDC, I'm looking into getting a pair, you can find them on ebay for $139 each. I have a Studio Projects C1 that I really like and others have recommended the B3 and C3 as well.

Leopold
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

cactus
takin' a dinner break

Post by cactus » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:31 pm

i'd recommend the Baby Bottle ($500) and the Josephson c42 ($400).
i think you could do everything with these two mics.

Bottle is smooth and dark - great on voice, solo acoustic, and electric guitars (even toms).
c42 is bright, great for elec/acoustic guitars, great on drums.
killer combo

i have a pair of 414's - ehhh.. they only work as OH mics for me.

thenumber
steve albini likes it

Post by thenumber » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:41 pm

on the cheap, Oktava MK012s get the job done. Ive never thought "damn those overheads sound awesome," but ive also never thought "those overheads sound gross."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:40 pm

the only thing I have ever liked 414's for is toms.

Punkity
gettin' sounds

Post by Punkity » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:11 am

Leopold wrote:
Punkity wrote:

For a little more money I'd suggest the Studio Projects M179 (you can find them for about $350 new). Don't own one, but have borrowed. Nice mic for overheads and general workhorse stuff. It makes me think of an AKG 414 but without as much "depth of field," "reach," or some other useless description.

I think you mean the CAD M179? It's a multipattern LDC, I'm looking into getting a pair, you can find them on ebay for $139 each. I have a Studio Projects C1 that I really like and others have recommended the B3 and C3 as well.
Yes, oops. All those years playing metal, my fingers move quicker than my mind.[/quote][/b]
Signage of the times.