Audio Schools?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
texlop
pushin' record

Audio Schools?

Post by texlop » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:40 pm

I'm studying engineering and am wondering what upper division school would be good. I'm thinking of attending San Francisco California State University in a year or two. I know the best school is in L.A. but I don't want to go down there. I'd much rather stay in the California Bay Area. Help me anyone that has gone or knows of good schools in California.

I'd like to know enough to where I can go from being a Music Sound Engineer to recording Disney Movies and putting the sound on them. I want to be able to work on the next Toy Story 3 or something
For some good new music check out The Medusas

listen to some of their Mp3's at Pure Volume

alignin' 24-trk

Re: Audio Schools?

Post by 01100011 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:37 pm

[working for pixar would be awesome]....my school has audio/video post production classes, but nothing anywhere close to california....:-\

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:06 am

the first thing that came to my mind was Mills College in Oakland.

It's more of a music college than a recording college... and it's more of an experimental music college at that. John Cage taught there, Deep Listening was devised there, and a lot of the foremost artists and experimental musicians in the world teach/go there.

I think USC has some sort of recording program... I'm not certain though. I'm in the midwest! woo!
that devil bastard protools

record-olotta
pluggin' in mics

Post by record-olotta » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:59 pm

go to full sail. they'll take your dreams... seriously.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:42 am

Visit www.aes.org and look at the 'education' page.

There you will find this page which lists every recording program in the world divided by region and then subdivided by degree program. Of course, there isn't anything listed for the Bay area, and you would hope that a school offering a master's program in recording would mention that to the AES at some point along the way.

-J

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:48 am

Another thing I can tell you...

My school, MTSU... I know I'm biased. but.

Andy Lackey is an alumni -- He works at Danetracks. Did all three Matrixes (matrices?), a ton of their stuff.

also from MTSU is Brian Chumney. He worked at Skywalker Sound and did Pixar stuff.

Andy also worked at Skywalker a little but now resides at Electronic Arts in the very lucrative and new field of sound for games.

consider that! come to nashville! :wink:
that devil bastard protools

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:31 am

I graduated from MTSU - Didnt do production, I did Music Business, but took as many prod classes as I could... It's a killer great program and the professors know a helluva lot.

If you can deal with living in a Nashville subburb, you are good to go.

Their Copyright classes are primo, as well...

Rock,
mat

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:42 am

Someone had a bad experience at Full Sail, hmmmm, are you okay.

Seriously, there are a lot of schools out there, but you really need to find one that has a focus on film sound, I know you don't want to leave the Bay Area, but learning how to mic a drum set won't help you set SFX to picture, ya know. There is a school in Canada (hey our dollar can go a long way there), it's in Vancouver so you won't have to tavel across the US to get there, just go north... hope that helps.

Later,
Josh

inhumentor
gettin' sounds

Post by inhumentor » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:39 am

The Evergreen State College, in beautiful Olympia Washington has some kewl classes, and people. It's all about getting in a place where you can get the studio time... as in not working so much to keep your options open(to fight for studio time) with somehow still having enough money to survive on. Some of the resources here don't get used as much as they could... or should for that matter. We got 2 API 1604's and a 2488, and I drool eachtime I enter the 16-track studio.
Keep on Rockin

record-olotta
pluggin' in mics

Post by record-olotta » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:07 pm

actually i didn't have a bad time at full sail... i had a lot of fun and met a ton of awesome people...

i just wasted a crapload of money...

but it was a good out from the computer science program i wasting away in at pitt. i wouldn't be trying to be an engineer full time if it weren't for going to that school... of course i wouldn't have 350/month student loan payments either. (i wasn't one of those mom and dad paid for it out of their pocket kind of kids.. i was the real deal, bust my ass, the government can give me how much money??? kind of guys)

their education is definitely a full scam though. i agree with what people are saying about mtsu, at least from a hearsay perspective, i haven't heard anything bad about their program

yee_haw
audio school

Post by yee_haw » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:07 pm

Unless you're completely inept to music and the recording process, any sort of audio trade school is as good an investment as coke and hookers. You (or your parents) can drop $30Gs on a "real world" education so that you can then move to an expensive city like NY or LA, and work for free making coffee and mopping just to see the recording industry is for you, or you can build a nice little studio and charge for it, and learn more than you would in fantasyland. OR you can bypass the whole spending of money thing and just get an internship without schoolin'...and work your way up...it's possible

bentonevolution
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by bentonevolution » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:34 pm

Listen...i graduated from full sail...this is the thing...i saw the people that sat in the class sleeping and acting like they knew more than the teachers...then in lab, they would want to mess around instead of actually paying attention. Then when we graduated, these were the same people calling Full Sail a scam. I learned more there than i would have ever learned not going there...why?...because i didn't act like an arrogant know-it-all there or when i got out...I came right out, built my own studio and record local bands there...i also record and mix bands at larger studios... People don't trust me day in and out with their mixes for nothing. I learned everything i needed to learn to start me out. I didn't expect them to get me a job. I came out with a set of tools in my mind to find my own job. I have so many contacts in the industry just from people i knew when i went there. Is it overpriced?...probably...would i trade it for anything?...hell no... They give you a wealth of information...the thing is your attitude...