the world of the FUTURE?...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
clamp
alignin' 24-trk

the world of the FUTURE?...

Post by clamp » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:27 pm

I own a Peavey VCL-2. It's cool. I know a bunch of local guys who have and rent or loan equally cool sounding equipment. So ponder this: in the future when internet becomes quick enough and sensitive enough will it be posible for me to jack my comp into the net and 'virtually loan' it out?
Imagine 'virtually borrowing' a real Fairchild 670. All the technology is nearly there. Automate the pots, attach the best A/D D/A converters and you got the dynamite.
What about a company specializing in high speed high quality transfer of your audio into and outof their well kept vintage high performance gear? :twisted:

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Re: the world of the FUTURE?...

Post by djslayerissick » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:26 am

damn.... i LIKE that idea. this makes sense people. clamp is on to something here.

altho the converters are gonna have to get a lot better. we're talking multiple conversions here

sound source audio to digital...
internet
digital to audio
fairchild (etc.)
audio to digital
internet
mixing
digital to audio final mix.

thats 4 conversions. altho... i'm sure there people doing that many as it is in their own studios to use outboard gear after recording.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:28 am

Wasn't there a guy who installed a bunch of speakers and microphones into a grain silo on a farm and attached it to the internet so you could send in sounds that would be played out of this huge silo in the middle of some wheat field and then listen back as the microphones streamed the audio back out to you? Seems like it was about 4-5 years ago.

I don't mean to sound condescending because I do think it's a great idea, but I think the badwidth has a long time to go before it could be used in real time like that. I suppose right now someone could offer a service to let you e-mail audio tracks with the idea they would e-mail back tracks that had been run through their fairchild or other vintage goodies. But bandwidth for high res audio (like 24/96) just isn't there - hell I can't even get streaming audio from a radio site to play cleanly without glitching, and 24/88,2kHz audio requires 15.2 Megs per track per minute to be sent across the network.

It's a great idea, but it would take a long time to implement.

-Jeremy

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:48 am

Professor wrote:
It's a great idea, but it would take a long time to implement.
i disagree. how long ago was it that dial-up and a 56k modem was all the rage? 1997? its 2004 and most people already have some kind of highspeed connection. i'm connected to a college ethernet line - on a good night, i can get 10 MEGS per second. on a slow night, 1 MEGS per second. i envision every neighborhood having its own T3 line in less than 10 years. and individuals having access to that kind of speed in 5 years. is this kinda possible by 2010? it damn well better be!

and i dont know about you, but if the 24bit, 88.2 thing is a problem, i'd gladly settle for some 16 bit, 44.1khz audio sent through gear like that.

and worse case scenario, ftp it all. screw the streaming and use the highest quality files you got.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:10 am

You guys got it all wrong. In the future, everything will revolve around laser pistols and hovering. The only need for recording gear is to see how well it hovers, and to possibly shoot it with lasers.
I am wangtacular.

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:17 am

When fiber optics become ubiquitous, this'll be much more viable...

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:54 am

Bear wrote:You guys got it all wrong. In the future, everything will revolve around laser pistols and hovering. The only need for recording gear is to see how well it hovers, and to possibly shoot it with lasers.
Are you crazy?? The future is all about bio-mechanisms. Like, I will be part tree, part 18 wheeler. And my brain will be made of titanium. Teleporting, also.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:14 am

bobbydj wrote:
Are you crazy?? The future is all about bio-mechanisms. Like, I will be part tree, part 18 wheeler. And my brain will be made of titanium. Teleporting, also.
so you're saying that you're going to have a horrible teleportation accident where you are mixed, "The Fly"-style, with a tree and a truck (or a truckload of titanium trees)?

and will you have flaming knives for hands, ala Wing?
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:01 am

djslayerissick wrote: how long ago was it that dial-up and a 56k modem was all the rage?
For me, that'd be last night.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:33 am

housepig wrote:
bobbydj wrote:
so you're saying that you're going to have a horrible teleportation accident where you are mixed, "The Fly"-style, with a tree and a truck (or a truckload of titanium trees)?

and will you have flaming knives for hands, ala Wing?
Not really, no. I just threw the teleport thing in for effect. Stick with the half tree/half 18 wheeler image. C'mon Bill - this would rule. Or, if you don't like that one, hows about equal parts Electraglide, camel and crop circle?? The future will be so much FUN!!
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:54 am

Professor wrote:Wasn't there a guy who installed a bunch of speakers and microphones into a grain silo on a farm and attached it to the internet so you could send in sounds that would be played out of this huge silo in the middle of some wheat field and then listen back as the microphones streamed the audio back out to you? Seems like it was about 4-5 years ago.-Jeremy
Yep.

http://www.silophone.net

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC