audio selector switches?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

audio selector switches?

Post by theslumlord » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:33 am

Hey everybody,

Here's my situation: I have a mixer with only one set of monitor outputs. I want to add another set of reference monitors in the studio. I'd like to be able to A/B them.

Is there something out there that would allow me to send the mixer's monitor outputs into a device and then have switch/button/etc. that would route the signal to either set of monitors?

I'm trying to avoid having to keep switching cables back and forth to hear a different reference on the mix.

thanks

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: audio selector switches?

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:55 pm

on my console, there was a beat up old A/B switch in the control room section that didnt work, so we installed a 4 way rotary pot (50 dollars from mouser or digikey, I dont remember) and we switch LINE LEVEL to three or four different pairs of monitors. with a snazzy chicken head knob on it, it looks really cool too, instead of a crappy little toggle that had seen its day in about 1976 I think, judging from its current state.

sigrant
ass engineer

Post by sigrant » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:06 pm

Check this out... Samson C-Control ...not my favorite company but these units are pretty inexpensive and very handy.

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Post by theslumlord » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:02 pm

hey,

thanks for the info. it's very much appreciated.

soundmaniac
alignin' 24-trk

Post by soundmaniac » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:52 pm

I just got one of these, no frills but it does the job nicely:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct. ... DLS3&off=0

kwhatx
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kwhatx » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:09 pm

Coleman Audio, Furman, Wackie (Mackie) and ProCo also make what you're looking for. Though it may appear to be pricey, the Coleman stuff is head and shoulders above the rest.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:49 am

How is that a switcher? HAHAHAHAHA Good cable though!

Anyway. . .i've heard nothing but bad things about that Samson C-control. It's a good thing in theory, but people say it sounds like you're running your whole mix through an expired can of tunafish.

sigrant
ass engineer

Post by sigrant » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:02 am

Anyway. . .i've heard nothing but bad things about that Samson C-control. It's a good thing in theory, but people say it sounds like you're running your whole mix through an expired can of tunafish.
I don't own a C-Control- just seen 'em in project studios and they seemed adequate (I don't think the Tuna I heard was expired). I just purchased a Presonus Central Station last month and I love it; but the Central Station plus the remote comes in around $650.00 ...and the unit sounds totally transparent to me.

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:07 am

You could solder one up yourself with parts from Radioshack for about $15. All you need are input and output jacks for the different monitors and a selector switch/knob between them. Wire it up so one position goes to one set of monitors and the other goes to, well, the other.

A completely passive, cheap as hell, TapeOp solution...similar to Joel's. Thank you.

soundmaniac
alignin' 24-trk

Post by soundmaniac » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:00 am

mingus2112 wrote:

How is that a switcher?
Um...let's see, it has stereo TRS line level input jacks (from your console's control room outs), and those are routed to 3 pairs of line level TRS output jacks (to your powered monitors/amps) which you can switch on and off independently. I'd call that a switcher.

Glenn Coleman makes pretty nice stuff, plus he worked on my tape machine once and told me cool stories about meeting Mick Jagger and other rockers when he used to tech at big-name studios.

SLiM BiLT
ass engineer

Post by SLiM BiLT » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:13 am

I got one of the Furman switchers (http://www.furmansound.com/pro/srm-80a/srm-80a.htm) when they first came out and really love it. It totally simplified my set-up and added a few handy things I didn't have, namely a 'Mono' switch and a 'Dim' switch. Also, it allows for one pair of powered monitors and two sets of passive monitors and has trim knobs so you can set them to be at around the same output level. This makes checking mixes on different speakers a breeze.

It's a lot pricier than other things mentioned, but it is at the heart of my set-up and was worth every penny.
<i>Captain, I must protest. I am NOT a merry man.</i>