GROHL DRUMS (queens of the stone age) DELICIOUS! let's talk!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
seriousbusinessmusic
pluggin' in mics

GROHL DRUMS (queens of the stone age) DELICIOUS! let's talk!

Post by seriousbusinessmusic » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:49 pm

how nasty are grohl's drums on that queens of the stone age record? the sound is so tight and unique...super dry and close miked but still live and natural sounding. anyone have some insight into how they were recorded? any tricks? anyone think the sounds suck? if so, are you crazy?

Meriphew
deaf.

Re: GROHL DRUMS (queens of the stone age) DELICIOUS! let's t

Post by Meriphew » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:03 pm

You're right - the drums do sound great. The Foo's are one of the very few punk/pop bands out there who are making good music IMO.

brakeshop
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by brakeshop » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:33 pm

Not to slight any engineers who worked on his stuff, but dave grohl sounds pretty excellent no matter who records him. He has that bonham thing going on where you know it sounds great in the room and the engineer just tries to figure out how to capture it. (although he's not the drummer on all the foo stuff)

george walker's closet
pluggin' in mics

Post by george walker's closet » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:09 pm

the drums and cymbals were tracked seperately. alot of the album was done live in the studio, so dave used electronic drum pads to trigger cymbal sounds during the recording, and later overdubbed them.
i use this technique all the time, and it works awesome. but i would imagine some drummers not wanting to overdub stuff.
the bonus dvd that came with songs for the deaf has some great studio footage, its worth checking out.

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:13 pm

I agree. That is one of the coolest sounding CD's ever. The drums are tits!!
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

radiantbrian
takin' a dinner break

Post by radiantbrian » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:38 pm

i personally can't stand that drum sound, not for the lack of room sound and dynamics, but the lack of shell resonance itself. sounds like a piccolo snare with a nerf ball taped to it to me. not to mention the mastering on that thing (i know, off topic)..

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:14 pm

IMHO I like the playing a lot but the drums sound small and really compressed, especially compared to the drums on the latest Killing Joke record (Grohl also played on that). I also think the mixing/panning is really cool, some songs the drums start in stereo and then once the rest of the instruments come in all of the drums shift to the left all of a sudden. I like that kinda stuff more than the tone of the drums. Looked up the Queens DVD and it sure looks like there's real cymbals on that kit but it's not the first itme i've heard that drums/cymbals were recorded seperately, is this in an interview somewhere?

-leopold
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

george walker's closet
pluggin' in mics

Post by george walker's closet » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:59 pm

i know the dvd shows that there are cymbals on the drums, but i read an interview with dave grohl that explained that the cymbals were done seperately, i cant remember what magazine it was unfortunately. i also just remember them showing grohl learning his parts, not actually recording. but i havent seen it in a while, so i could be wrong.

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:09 pm

I love dave's playing and love qotsa too, but that new record just sounds like it's all sampled sounds to me. I bet he was triggering off his acoustic kit as well...just a guess.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

the dice
pluggin' in mics

Post by the dice » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:08 am

radiantbrian wrote:not to mention the mastering on that thing (i know, off topic)..
hey.

i think they knew what they were doing there.

they just cutted all the high out. but i am pretty sure it was a choice they made! and it gives a really special feeling to the album.

pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Post by pantone247 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:54 am

Leopold wrote:IMHO I like the playing a lot but the drums sound small and really compressed, especially compared to the drums on the latest Killing Joke record (Grohl also played on that).
fucking a!

the drums on that Killing Joke record make the Queens record sound like the Langely school project. Andy Gill made that whole K.J. sounds so fucked up and harsh. Top record.
INDIE TILL I DIE

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:48 am

pantone247 wrote:the drums on that Killing Joke record make the Queens record sound like the Langely school project.
But the Langely school project is way more bad ass!

radiantbrian
takin' a dinner break

Post by radiantbrian » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:12 am

the dice wrote:
radiantbrian wrote:not to mention the mastering on that thing (i know, off topic)..
hey.

i think they knew what they were doing there.

they just cutted all the high out. but i am pretty sure it was a choice they made! and it gives a really special feeling to the album.
i can respect an aesthetic decision like this, but the hyper-limiting is pretty unforgivable and makes the drums sound extra bad to me. i dunno, i tried listening to 'once you giveth' last night and it was just kinda dissapointing since it's such a great song.

blameshifter
gettin' sounds

Post by blameshifter » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:38 am

i was really shocked at first by the drum tone. its so dry, it sounds like something out of the 70s. but i think its awesome that they went for that. everyone else is all about the room mic, myself included. they took a step back in time and did something different. i love it.
"My freedom to move my fist must be limited
by the proximity of your chin."

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:39 am

Leopold wrote:IMHO I like the playing a lot but the drums sound small and really compressed, especially compared to the drums on the latest Killing Joke record (Grohl also played on that). I also think the mixing/panning is really cool, some songs the drums start in stereo and then once the rest of the instruments come in all of the drums shift to the left all of a sudden. I like that kinda stuff more than the tone of the drums. Looked up the Queens DVD and it sure looks like there's real cymbals on that kit but it's not the first itme i've heard that drums/cymbals were recorded seperately, is this in an interview somewhere?

-leopold
Whoa! I know this is totally off-topic, but that's incredibly cool and thoroughly bizarre that Grohl would play on a Killing Joke record, given that Killing Joke sued Nirvana way back when for stealing the riff from Killing Joke's "Eighties." I'm a longtime fan of Killing Joke, though I haven't really been into anything they've done in the last 13 years or so. It's a little hard for me to imagine Grohl playing for Killing Joke, but then maybe it isn't.

Jeff