fugazi albums

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
nick_a
buyin' gear

Re: fugazi albums

Post by nick_a » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:46 pm

i should add this: i'm sure fugazi came up with the ideas for a good bit of the sounds you hear, but it's don who found a way to make them work on tape.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:24 am

Fugazi came up with the great songs. Don documented them very well.

Fugazi is one of the most important bands to come out of DC. I saw they play with Shellac and the EX in Chicago about 2 1/2 years ago. It was an amazing performance.

SLAG
gettin' sounds

Post by SLAG » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:05 am

NewPunk wrote:Red Medicine is about the best thing ever. Everybody needs a dose.

Idon'twannabedefeatedIdon'twannabedefeatedIdon'twannabedefeatedIdon'twannabedefeated.
And how (that's what grandma would say)! My fav, too. Also, the Video The Instrument is a must see and some cool studio stuff in there.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:47 pm

NewPunk wrote: Idon'twannabedefeatedIdon'twannabedefeatedIdon'twannabedefeatedIdon'twannabedefeated.
YES! i'm gonna have to listen to that as soon as i'm done typing.

i'm behind the curve, i didn't see them live until last year. but i saw 'em three times, and was lucky enough to watch from the side of the stage for two of the shows. definitely amongst the best, most inspiring shows i've ever seen.

records-wise, they all obviously rock, i like the argument best, both in terms of songs and sonics. really like the instrument soundtrack too.

does anyone else think end hits sounds...i dunno...kinda weird? always seemed really low end heavy to me....

beardsrok
audio school graduate

Post by beardsrok » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:37 pm

I dont know whats wrong with me but I love End Hits. I know most people dont dig it but that would probably be my favorite album followed by In on the Kill Taker or Repeater. I guess it seems to me like end hits is the first album where they started slowing down and making more creative music. Just my lame opinion though. I need to go listen to red medicince again, I dont think I ever really gave that one its fair time in my cd player.

lonesome_tone
takin' a dinner break

Post by lonesome_tone » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:42 pm

They've been best at not sucking over such a long period of time (must be around the 15 year mark by now). Maybe because they didn't release a grunge album, an album featuring Drum N Bass samples, and won't go on to make anything that sounds like Gang of Four/New Order this year. SO FUCKING tired of that shit. Give it a rest. Anyways..

Along with their more rocking, typical stuff, I love the piano 'ballad' on Instrument... wish they'd do some more along those lines...

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:46 pm

Steady Diet was always one of my favs, though people generally seem to be divided on that one.
they must be using long division then! :lol:

SB
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:47 pm

nick_a wrote:to answer your question simply, televator, it's Don.
uhhhh... Don would be the first to disagree with you! Quite adamantly I'm afraid.

SB
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

d.olivier
audio school graduate

Post by d.olivier » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:09 am

in on the killtaker. one of the most beutiful albums ever. didn't understand that until heating them live. really. i thought it was "harsh" sounding. both songs and recording. what about: one last wish, rites of spring, and embrace?
and they will know us by the trail of the

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:26 am

rites of spring and embrace are amazing, and sadly overlooked.
I was doing a search to find a set of posts from before but can't find it. A few months back we were discussing the books "our band could be your life" by Michael Azerrad and "Dance o f Days" by Mark Andersen and Mark Jenkins. Both are extremely well written and told in such a way it makes you feel as if you were there at many of these historic and prolific shows/events. Dance of Days is based centrally on the D.C. scene from its punk origins until the early 90's. It is a book that anyone interested in Fugazi, Minor Threat, Rites of Spring, Embrace, Bad Brains, SOA or any of the other incidiary bands came/come from. Its one thing to listen to the music and another to understand why it was written. Its the most amazing feeling and makes the music more of an art rather than some glossy and intangible, yet beautiful thing.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:20 pm

I really like all the fugazi ive heard, the stuff ive got was jsut burned from a friend who just downloaded the songs. I know theres some stuff from 13 songs on there, and i like it alright. Could anyone reccomend an album that has a little more of the mellower stuff, and wierder stuff.

Matt.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

beardsrok
audio school graduate

Post by beardsrok » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:51 pm

For mellow fugazi, you could either get end hits, which is good stuff. Instrument- which is the soundtrack to their documentary and contains more lo-fi home recorded type stuff. Or the newest one argument. All three are more mellow than the early stuff. If you want a little bit of wierd stuff I would go with instrument, thats the one that got me into the band.
-Dave

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:59 pm

assfortress wrote:I really like all the fugazi ive heard, the stuff ive got was jsut burned from a friend who just downloaded the songs. I know theres some stuff from 13 songs on there, and i like it alright. Could anyone reccomend an album that has a little more of the mellower stuff, and wierder stuff.
I think you'll like all of their albums, especially if you BUY THEM! Don't steal from Dischord, they don't steal from you and they DON'T have millions of dollars like majors. When you steal (or burn or download or whatever you wanna call it) from a small indie like Dischord or Touch and Go, YOU ARE STEALING DIRECTLY FROM THE ARTIST! Last time I checked, brand new CDs from Dischord were STILL $10 PPD! There's a reason for that.

SB
-Hunter S. Thompson

assfortress
steve albini likes it

Post by assfortress » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:21 pm

I plan on buying the cd. and i do plan on buying some. im just looking for opinions on what albums i would probably like. Dont turn this perfectly good thread into some stupid argument. If i get a burned cd and I like it I always buy it. I like to support whoever, I dont enjoy listening to mp3s, and I like to have the insert. Im pretty sure fugazi would be the kind of people who dont mind me getting a burned cd of a bunch of there stuff, it got me into them. If I never would have heard this I would have still thought it all sounded like 13 songs, and I probably would never buy any fugazi.

Thanks for the suggestions beardsrok.

Matt.
"It?s the consequence you?ll pay, as long as you got the sound of it blowing up on tape."

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:24 pm

OK :wink:

SB
-Hunter S. Thompson