fugazi albums

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
televator
alignin' 24-trk

fugazi albums

Post by televator » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:58 am

hopefully others agree, but i think fugazi albums are consistently the best sounding albums of their time (and don't even get me started on their songwriting abilities). I am just in awe everytime a new album comes out because it sounds so amazing and different than the last, while still sounding "fugazi-ish".

Here's the real question for all of you. Is it the band or Don Zientra responsible for the amazing sounds they get? All of their records have been recorded by Don, but they all sound different (and better with time if you ask me). Is it the result of putting so many unique and passionate people together, or is one element swaying things more than another?
Last edited by televator on Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

takeout
steve albini likes it

Re: fugazi albums

Post by takeout » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:18 pm

I like how their "jam" tapes have been creeping into their albums. Some really interesting stuff.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:31 pm

argument is the first album by them i really liked. there's this other one full of demos that is really awesome too, i forget what it's called though.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:07 pm

Fugazi ROCK. One of my fondest memories in a weird way is opening up for them with my old band False Face Society back in the summer of '90 - it was in a huge high school gym in DC with almost no ventilation - on a 95 degree day with 100% humidity. There ended up being literally about an inch of water on the floor at the end of the night from peoples sweat and the condensation. Despite these conditions Fugazi still put an all out show that was pretty breath taking - they truly are willing to go to the edge with their music.

Don does an awesome awesome job with them - but if you go onstage what's coming out of their amps & from Brendans kit is pretty much the tones you hear on record. It's a testament to Don's abilities is that he is able to get this on tape.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:24 pm

i own and very much like repeater and 13 songs. which others are must-owns?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:25 pm

jajjguy wrote:i own and very much like repeater and 13 songs. which others are must-owns?
repeater! yea, that's the one i was talking about. it's great.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:55 pm

Fugazi has and will remain a favorite. I'd say top five favorite. My first "show" when i was 16, repeater tour. They've been an influence on me for the past 14 years. Every album has its greats, but my faves would be in on the killtaker, red medicine, and the arguement has been played if not everyday, but at least every week since its release... fuck yeah. however, 13 songs and repeater rule all as well.

be sure to check out the video documentary "instrument"

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:00 pm

jajjguy wrote:i own and very much like repeater and 13 songs. which others are must-owns?
Red Medicine, but they're all great.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:13 pm

Steady Diet was always one of my favs, though people generally seem to be divided on that one.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:22 pm

those are actually my 2 faves....

steady diet is good.... very dark though

13 songs is like dc punk ear candy... it's great!

every album is good on it's own...

yes, i am proud to be a DC resident and this band almost warrants that singlehandedly...

be sure to check them out live... and if in DC during the summer, they play Ft. Reno for free every year.... amazing shows....

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:33 pm

Steady Diet and Repeater are my favs also because they kind of represent two different sides of Fugazi. One of the most awesome bands ever! Been listening since I was 14 years old!

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:46 pm

The best thing about fugazi is that there aren't any "must owns". If you pick up all their albums and listen chronologically, you can hear them develop, mature, and bounce ideas off them.

Also, each album (after repeater) truly has a theme, or at least a style. Red Medicine is the most ecletic and The Argument is the most melodic, but In On the Kill Taker is probably my favorite album of all time. It did an incredible job of capturing the early/mid nineties for me.

They also never play shows with set lists; instead they just have visual cues and know each other so well that one song steers itself into the next. Awesome.

NewPunk
alignin' 24-trk

Post by NewPunk » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:55 pm

Red Medicine is about the best thing ever. Everybody needs a dose.

Idon'twannabedefeatedIdon'twannabedefeatedIdon'twannabedefeatedIdon'twannabedefeated.

I went to Alice Deal Jr High, right next to the afore-mentioned Fort Reno. If I were 20 years older, I would've gone to school with Ian.
Matthew All-the-Time
NewPunk
www.newpunk.tv
Baltimore, MD

ryan_c
steve albini likes it

Post by ryan_c » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:55 pm

I agree that it's totally awesome that every Fugazi record sounds different than the record before it, but they all still sound like Fugazi. I think all of their records are pretty crucial, and I tend to like each one more than the last.
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE DANGER!

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:44 pm

to answer your question simply, televator, it's Don. It seems to generally be misconstrued that Ian records a lot of the dischord stuff (probably because a lot of the records say 'recorded by don and ian at inner ear'), but i can tell you from a first-hand basis that don does the recording and ian sits back and calls some of the shots (vaguely). Those sounds, as far as i'm concerned, belong to Don. The songs belong to Fugazi, and what comes out belongs to the collective.