Stereo Buss Compression

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Stereo Buss Compression

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 07, 2003 5:08 pm

Whether you're working in the analog or the digital domains, you're probably using some kind of Stereo Buss Compression. What are you guys using?

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Re: Stereo Buss Compression

Post by justinf » Wed May 07, 2003 5:25 pm

This is not a high dolla solution, but I love my Langevin Dual Vocal Combo. I just used it on the 2 buss on my last record and it rocked. I had borrowed a 1969 too; those things seem better suited to tracking imho.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed May 07, 2003 7:49 pm

The last thing I mixed was pretty much distressors across a stereo buss, a dbx 162 across another, api 2500 on another and a neve 33609 on another. Most of the record then went through an SSL 4000 when it got mastered.

If I had to go with one thing for a mix buss, the way Im working now, it would either be the ssl or a pair of neve 2254.

dave

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 07, 2003 9:16 pm

Ditto on the SSL Quad compressor! What an absolutely musical device. Alot more so than the Alan Smart knockoff. A real time saver too for indie records. I miss the 10:1 setting ont the J-Series boards though. Don't know why they went to 20:1 on that.

Mack Damon
audio school graduate

Post by Mack Damon » Wed May 07, 2003 10:50 pm

I'm using the SSL FX384 compressor on my final mix and loving it. I occasionally buss all the drums and drums FX to a stereo bus in protools and use the focusrite compressor before dumping them in the main mix bus.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:29 pm

At one point, I watched Jim Scott begin his stretch of mixing records with dbx 160s across the stereo buss. A very, very strange choice...

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:33 pm

I just mixed a record with a 33609 on the main buss out and was very very pleased. everyone should have one of those! I think the idea of HOW you use a compressor on the mix out is probably way more important than what kind of compressor it is. Been debating the different ethics of mix compression for a while now, so many different schools of thought on it.

dave

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:57 am

I use a neve 33609a Every time. EVERY time.

I cant believe anyone would use anything else.

I didnt like having a buss comp until I got one. I used to use other stuff, but I would barely hit it. like hardlly at all.

I got the 33609, and things mix themselves. Awesome.

More punch, density, and shine to all my mixes.

I think this is one of the best compressors ever made. If I could have only one comp, this would be it.

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:00 am

agreed.

dave

Engineer Farm
audio school graduate

Post by Engineer Farm » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:45 pm

I really dig those SSL/Alan Smart compressors. They rule! Maybe it's because I grew up on them.

I've tried one of those Cransong STC-8's. First off, they have a wicked confusing interface, I've read the manual cover to cover several times. On top of that they're just to clean for rock music, you can really hit 'em hard and they don't respond in a cool way. What do you guys think?

Anyways, that's my two cents.

Chris

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:35 am

I don't use a compressor on the stereo buss at all. Matter of fact, I only compress bass and vocals these days. I'm disliking the sound of compression more and more as I get older.

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:35 am

I don't do buss compression either. I'm using adats and a mackie for multitrack, so (for me) anything before mixing that gives me the illusion that the mix is better than it actually is distracts me from the detaily work of getting my damn gain stages right in the first place. I know that the big boys do it all the time, but I just don't have the spare compressors, and I leave it all to the mastering engineer.
actually, my "buss compression" comes from slamming my 351 mix deck.
brian

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:13 pm

I have a pair of Pacific Recording Engineering Corp,compressor,limiters that I came across on digibid by accident for $400 bucks that are un freaking real on trhe stereo buss,from what I am able to gather on them they were originaly designed for radio broadcast but screw that they are in my recording gear rack and incredible,,any body else have or use PREC stuff?wish I had more

blinkman
studio intern

Post by blinkman » Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:29 pm

Never heard of that PREC stuff but it sounds very interesting. I seem to drift gradually from one box to another... For a while I was using the SSL a lot, but I got a little weary of that flavor. I have used 33609's a lot...I used a modded Manley Variable-Mu on a couple records, but it never really made me super happy. Lately I've been trying out anything I can get my hands on, but I keep coming back to the FATSO, in either "buss" or "buss + spank" mode. Call me crazy. But like anything else, it depends entirely on the material being mixed, and on one's own personal inclinations. I will say that I've never been comfortable with the idea of finding my ideal, perfect, holy grail buss compressor and using that on everything forever. More fun to keep trying different stuff...

-chad

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:49 pm

PREC does make very high end broadcast gear. I believe their HQ is still in San Diego. Yes, their compressors are cool, especailly the multiband models...

How about the UREI 1178? I used to use that on buss compression and found it OK but not killer. I tried the DBX 162 and found it better on drum buss...