Places to play in Santa Cruz, Sacto, and Portland...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Places to play in Santa Cruz, Sacto, and Portland...

Post by trodden » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:30 pm

dwelle wrote:ditto on the drinking in portland.
playing the ashstreet saturday. going down friday to start the binge early

angryaudio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by angryaudio » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:38 pm

Sacto is a pain the ass to book. A lot of the Norcal venues are in the hands of just a few promoters. Just keep calling them, and they evenually get tired and you might get a shitty Monday night gig opening for some sports/metal band. (As you can infer, I've been down this path a time or two.)

Here are few places to check for more info: www.asavageproduction.com for possible booking in the Sacto/SF Bay area. www.powerslave.com for a pretty complete listing of music venues. And for Santa Cruz, check out these people: www.3rproductions.com.

Good luck.

AA
You don't know me.

blappo
ass engineer

Post by blappo » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:28 pm

If you're bouncing between Sac and Portland, you might stop in Chico. There aren't a whole lot of good bands at present, but there are a couple of places that do shows and depending on the venue you might get 30-50 people. At least one of the places (RiffRaff) feeds bands (i've heard). Plus, I believe this to be the past home of none other than Larry Crane. Perhaps his first apartment is now a museum or something. Try Chicolist.com for venue contact info. Good luck.

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:50 pm

wow... 2 pages in one day... thanks!

So I'll be checking those places out. One thing that is definitely scaring me is the whole being ripped off thing. If you have any other stories, do tell, do tell....

We're probably not going up to Seattle this year. Maybe next, but this is looking like a short, weekend-long thing as I doubt we'll be able to book something during the summer and two of my bandmates are finishing up college so they'll be going to classes... if we were to go up that far, I would want at least a week.

Alex, thanks for the opportunity-- it actually would be pretty cool to play in a bowling alley.... do you do this often?

AA, I haven't had a problem yet with Sacto as the last time we played there it was a show with Trackstar, Aislers Set and Aden and it was set up by Mark Kaiser of Omnibus and he had asked us there, bypassing the whole "pleasepleaseplease let us play there" which was a treat for sure. Speaking of, does anyone know Mark? I heard he fell off the face of the scene-planet, but I haven't talked to him in a while... is he alright?

Portland drinking... HA! Whenever I'm in Portland (which isn't often enough) it's the goddamn coffee that I'm always ODing on! Everytime I come back home someone asks "You alright" when they see me shaking with sunken eyes and stained-brown lips. Damn that town has good coffee. Damn my body just can't take coffee!

Chico. Wow. My girlfriend and a couple of other firends went to college there and all I hear is horror stories about how jockular the whole town is and that the only bands that get shows are Van Halen tribute bands.... is there really a place that would welcome, and pay, an out of town indie band? wow.

my band's name is delta song.

And going back to this whole ripp off thing, doesn't anyone strike deals up front as to getting paid? Are there no contractual agreements such as door percentage and shit? Is this all forged on a handshake? (wouldn't it be cool if handshakes still meant something?)

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:01 pm

i think kaiser is still bouncing around, haven't seen him in awhile myself. i think he was doing some stuff with matt johnson, if you've met that guy. if not, i bet dennis from future farmer would know his whereabouts. come to think of it, i think matt works there too. give 'em a call....

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:52 pm

you know matt, huh? ya know, you've said that you're south of visallia, but I think you're actually part of the whole Playroom, Kaiser, Matt Johnson, Visalian crew! Like a spy, a messageboard spy! ;)

Yeah, I know Matt... haven't seen him in a while though.... he's still living in the city, right?

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:20 pm

yeah, he works with dennis at future farmer last i heard. visalia it is...

my crew indeed, and i am a spy.

shit, the cat is out of the bag.

anywhere i can hear your music?

cheers...

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:29 pm

check yr PM.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:03 pm

Sacramento: The Boardwalk (www.boardwalkrocks.com) Not the greatest place, but one of the only venues left in Sac.

Cap. Garage is moving and relocating, so that's good. Old Ironsides is pretty small and 21+. There's a new venue coming in with a great soundsystem. That's all I know for the most part. It's being built right now, to my knowledge.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:28 pm

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:29 pm

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:32 pm

EELDIP! YOU WERE IN KNODEL? When it was a three piece? I saw you guys at Satyricon once and the Crystal Ballroom another. Man, those were easily some of favorite shows during the two years I kicked around P-Town.

Hats off, se?or.

:!:

kellyb

firemaplegirl
audio school

Post by firemaplegirl » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:11 am

eeldip wrote:wow satyricon is closed...

what about the restaurant next door? wuz it name.... um.. fellini's? mmm. they had great calamari there.
yeah, fellini's is gone too. According to WW the former owners of Moodys bought Satyricon and are going to open it back up as Moodys w/ fellinis being 'Moody's Cafe Lounge'. whoopee :roll:

I think Mike is still running around Portland. I know 'Thrasher Presents' is still going strong.

Deaf - you have any of your music online? (And before everyone attacks I know how shitty the format is, it just sooooo convenient.) Let me know when/where if you get a gig in portland and if I don't work that night I'll come check you guys out.

al burn
pluggin' in mics

Post by al burn » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:56 am

hey deafinONEear, Sacto Spots that haven't been listed yet

Cafe Metro on Kst (they have small all ages shows in the summer w/ beer)

Distillery on 21st and Lst (smaller than Old Ironsides 21+)

Fox and Goose on 10st (brit pub w/ stage 21+)

Harlows on Jst (2 floors w/bars very trendy most of the time but, I've seen Unwound, J Mascis, Blond Red Head,etc there 21+)

Colonial Theater on Stocton blvd (large older theater and a lot easier to book than one would think John Spencer played there when he came. Definitely the place to try and get)

I wouldn't go to the Bordwalk (to many but-rockers) I would stick to downtown spots and stay out of the burbs

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:40 am

thearnicasync wrote:
Hats off, se?or.

:!:

kellyb
thanks! glad to see there is a fan somewhere...