reverb choice

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ludwigpatricia
audio school graduate

reverb choice

Post by ludwigpatricia » Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:54 pm

I am going to be buying a reverb. I have my choices narrowed down and I'm hoping to get some help on making my decision. Yamaha spx-2000, Lexicon pcm-91, TC Electronic m-3000. The most important features I am looking for are: low noise, ease of operation, realistic reverb (not freaky outerspace sounds, etc.), and I don't need thousands of options and presets. I know these three vary greatly in price, but if one far outshines the others I'd rather not eat as well for a few months and be happy with my purchase. I would also like to hear of any other suggestions.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: reverb choice

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:24 pm

I like the TC verbs.

Unless I am running a Lex480.

(even the 280, anything with the LARC).

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:22 am

For realistic sounds, I really dig the Sony DPS R7 (mostly the smaller settings--many of which are also found in the Sony DPS V77) and the Klark Teknik DN780. The PCM 91 has some nice stuff in it that sounds "very Lexicon." The Yamaha 'verbs are nice, but I rarely use them for anything realistic-sounding. The TC stuff sounds good, but I often have trouble getting it to sit in the mix the way I want it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:12 pm

There is a good thread on GearSlutz about reverbs. The hands-down suggestion over there for around $500 is the Kurzweil Rumor. Music123 has them for $450 non-factory sealed.

I personally like my spring reverb and it was under $50.

ludwigpatricia
audio school graduate

Post by ludwigpatricia » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:44 pm

Thank you for all the info. I do have the Demeter Real Reverb spring reverb, which I love. I just need a little digital reverb at times. I'm going to search into the suggestions. Keep posting them, I appreciate the help.

filterdish
alignin' 24-trk

Post by filterdish » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:57 am

my recommendations would be the waves rennaisance reverb and truverb. but these are plug-ins for computers.... sounds like you're looking for outboard gear right?
if you can't see me in my mirrors
i can't see you

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:02 pm

ludwigpatricia wrote:Thank you for all the info. I do have the Demeter Real Reverb spring reverb, which I love. I just need a little digital reverb at times. I'm going to search into the suggestions. Keep posting them, I appreciate the help.
Since you have the spring side covered, have you tried any ambient spaces where you record? Put up a speaker and a mic, you might be surprised. But then i'm reading "digital" as being something a little more subtle than the spring sound.

My friend has the ensoniq dp-4 whci has some nice plate and room type sounds, and can be had for fairly cheap ($200-300).
beware bee wear

kwhatx
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kwhatx » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:37 pm

Generally, Lexicons are more "lush" while t.c.'s tend to be more "realistic". Kind of apples and oranges. I generally end up using both types in a single mix. Having used both the PCM91 and the M3000, I like the M3000 better. And to edit, it is much easier to quickly get to what you need on the M3000 (the sub-menus on the PCM91 take longer to navigate).

Good luck.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:58 pm

One thing that I read here on this board (from Joel I think) was to send a signal through not so good reverb into a room or space and remic it..never got the chance to try it but i figure it would be cool..

you can also build a plate if you have the time and energy and space and a little cash..

http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/ta ... /plate.php

i really dont know much about digital verbs but i hope this other info is interesting to you..

ludwigpatricia
audio school graduate

Post by ludwigpatricia » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:00 pm

I am looking for outboard gear.
I do like the idea of creating a reverb chamber where I'm recording, because I'm doing mobile recording and most of these are at rehearsal spaces. Most of the rehearsal spaces are in old factories and have just such open space rooms near by. Great idea.
The spring reverb is great for a lot of things, but then some it doesn't fit.
I am looking for the reverb to be quite subtle.
I'm planning on building the plate reverb someday from the mag. article,
but it will be permanently stuck in my basement.
Thanks kwhatx for the break downs, that's just what I needed
Thanks everyone for all the help.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:20 pm

Putting verb returns out to the live room, and re-mic'ing can really bring a track to life with a real, interesting, unique verb tail that seems to just widen the image for everything it touches. I have even done a M/S mic setup in front of a practice PA with a submix off an aux routed to it.

So awesome. Snare especially. Mic'ing the glass, or the carpet or the wood, or the piano face can yeild awesome "realism" in a situation like that as well...