lexcicon reverbs, what say you?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
donkingshair
studio intern

lexcicon reverbs, what say you?

Post by donkingshair » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:08 pm

I have an opportunity to purchase a lexicon pcm-70 for $600 which seems to be a pretty good price. I never used one but i am very familiar with the pcm-80. How does this unit compare to the 80,90,60 etc. and do any actual users here feel it would be worth buying, or should I hold out for a different unit?

todd
pushin' record

Re: lexcicon reverbs, what say you?

Post by todd » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:25 pm

i've never used any of the "higher end" lexicons but for the same price you
could get a demeter rv-1 spring reverb AND a lexicon alex or reflex (both of which are pretty good units especially being under $100 on ebay)...

not a pcm 80/90/60/70 or
whatever, but not a bad idea either...

thanks,
todd

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:04 pm

I say yes to the Alex and the Demeter. Good call, todd.

I also say the 480 L is too damn expensive.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:14 pm

There is no greater snare reverb than the Lexicon PCM 70. The 'Snare Chamber' program is fantastic. The 'Tiled Room' is fantastic. The 'Medium Room' is fantastic. There are many others. In looking at this unit, be sure it has a fully loaded register, otherwise, haggle price. There was an upgrade you could get for those. If you do buy the unit, contact John Case at Audio Rents in Los Angeles (323-874-1000) for tips on how to get it fully loaded with programs. I can't recommend this unit more highly. A fine choice!

donkingshair
studio intern

Post by donkingshair » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:13 pm

thanks. actually a friend of mine played a recording he did a few weeks ago and I remarked how good the reverb on the lead vocals sounded. turned out he was using the demeter spring unit. sounded fantastic, however I'm in the market for something a little more versatile. any other opinions on the various higher-end lex units?

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:18 pm

I got a the new lexicon 550 a few months ago, its their middle tier multi effects thing, Im pretty sure it was under $600. Its a stereo unit. Very awesome. I cant get it to sound bad at all. Granted, Im not really a reverb type of guy so I dont NEED some amazing reverb, but if I had to feature a reverb on something where that drove the vibe of the song, Id be happy to do it with this box. I think it sounds really good.

dave

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:33 pm

I would avoid some of the cheaper end Lexicons, T.C. electronic stuff is well worth checking out. So many models to choose from,always a difficult choice!!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:39 pm

I like all the lexicon stuff. Even the cheap ones. I also used the room verb on an SPX90 recently for an entire record. There goes any credibility in this department I guess... :)

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:12 pm

PCM 70 for 600 bucks is a good price, such a fantastic box.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:22 pm

I'll toss a out a good vote for the Lexicon, though I might also toss up a little flag, just for the heck of it. The lower line Lexicon units are really surprisingly good for the price points. I used to have an MPX-100, then traded up to a 500 and I've loved them both. The new MPX-550 adds some dynamics processing as well and has digital as well as analog I/O - and I'm not sure if the PCM-70 has either of those features. The PCM is an older unit and aside from the upgrade mentioned above, I'm not sure what other revisions and updates might have been implemented. The MPX series are newer units running at 24bits instead of 16bits. (Though I am also not sure if the MPX-1 has been updated lately.)
There is no question that the PCM 70 and it's relatives are great products, but you might want to check out the Lexicon website to see where things are going, and what new goodies might be coming along. The PCM 80 and 90 have been updated to the 81 and 91, but the PCM 70 has gone away. I don't know the details, but it worth checking out your options before throwing down six bills.

-Jeremy