Polyphonic Spree - WTF

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Polyphonic Spree - WTF

Post by joeysimms » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:28 am

I have no idea what the band looks like, or what the supposed gimmick is. I just didn't care for the music I heard. Maybe next record.
beware bee wear

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:47 am

wing wrote:I've never seen them live, but from a musical perspective, I was really amazed they completed their album "The Beginning States of..." as a DEMO in THREE DAYS.... it sounds fantastic given the fact it was a 3 day demo! come on! gotta give em props for that one.
I give them props for making an assload of money by dressing up like wieners. I bet they don't get as much tail as the dude from unwound.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:49 am

Rick Hunter wrote:I bet they don't get as much tail as the dude from unwound.
Hell, they probably don't get as much tail as the chick from unwound.

That's what we're all in it for, right? The tail? Am I mistaken?

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:25 am

So, that's a triple chocolate non-fat cappucino with a double-espresso shot for you, Phil? Anything else while you bask and relax to the familiar background music strains of Unwounds latest and greatest background music effort??
beware bee wear

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:44 am

Me kill you.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:50 am

joeysimms wrote:So, that's a triple chocolate non-fat cappucino with a double-espresso shot for you, Phil? Anything else while you bask and relax to the familiar background music strains of Unwounds latest and greatest background music effort??

You are smoking crack. The mighty fist of unwound will slam down with great vengence and furious anger, those who...never mind.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:55 am

substitute wrote:Check out their song on the "Bonaroo live" double disc thing, their 30 piece band beats the pants off the Flaming Lip's ADATs (or whatever they're using for playback now) and is a much more apropriate comparison than Unwound.
live maybe.... though, the Lips have been touring with a live drummer lately and their backing tracks are on dvd, with fucking great video!

but, as far as the songs and records go, Polyphonic Spree can't touch 'em.

I bought the Polyphonic Spree record when I first came out. And, I'm still trying to find a verse on the record. I was a big fan of tripping daisy.... particularly I Am An Elastic Firecracker, and Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb.

All of the Polyphonic Spree songs ("demos") sound the same to me. One very long chorus, sung by a choir, and very, very little substance.

I think that they're coasting on the gimmick right now. They'd better get the next record out soon.

I'll give them another chance.... I've heard that the live show is phenomenal.

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:54 am

Little to no songwriting, horribly repetitive, and the recordings don't even sound fantastic (which would be enough to fool some people into thinking they're good despite a lack of songs.) I got real pissed when I heard this CD after ten different people told me that the PS was great.

Sorry, just had to weigh in :)

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:23 am

john vanderslice loves polyphonic spree...

not that it matters or anything, just thought i would mention it. i personally think the album sounds pretty good given the fact it was a demo... production is not bad at all.

drew, what do you mean little to no songwriting? the songs were written, right? what does that even mean?

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:33 am

I will expand on what Drew was said.

Repeating the same sentence over and over again is boring. With one person or 20.

Jon Vanderslice rules.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:08 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:Repeating the same sentence over and over again is boring. With one person or 20.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:09 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
Rick Hunter wrote:Repeating the same sentence over and over again is boring. With one person or 20.

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:44 pm

wing wrote:drew, what do you mean little to no songwriting? the songs were written, right? what does that even mean?
It means it sounds like they didn't bother to work on the songs at all. As if the fact that they have four harp players (or whatever) somehow makes it okay that most of their songs are the same part just repeated over and over. They didn't really write songs. they just wrote one chorus/verse/whatever and repeated it over and over. Then, add the fact that the Tripping Daisy guy is responsible for this shit, and it's even sadder. The dude obviously knows how to write an actual song... maybe PS just a time-killer in between projects which use more than eight words a song.

Like rick said,
Rick Hunter wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:45 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:

Whirrred.
beware bee wear

misterT
audio school graduate

Post by misterT » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:49 pm

joeysimms wrote:
Rick Hunter wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:
I pity the fool that pushed this on T. Damn sears catalog slipper-wearing mechanic boys on cheap black market psych druggs, I told ya I'd whup ya! Can't even find a spine to crack at, nobody gets the rover inside a pendulum and call it clean..