TapeOpCon gets closer...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Re: TapeOpCon gets closer...

Post by New Orleans Steve » Wed May 12, 2004 9:09 am

-------PLEASE NOTE THE DATE FOR THIS EVENT Saturday May 29th ---------

I had originally posted an INCORRECT DATE The above information is correct!

-------------------Frenchmen Street Records Presents------------

------------------------ the mike darby band ----------------

---------------------------Banks Street Bar---------------------

--------------------------Saturday May 29th--------------------

---------Free Admit to Tape Opers AND Free Red Beans and Rice-

-------------Cheap Beer For All and New Orleans Athuntica-----

-------------------15 min. from the Fairmont Hotel ---------------
Canal Street Street Car To S. Alexander then 3 blocks to Banks Street

----P.M. For More Info.----- Steve-------

iluvatar
audio school graduate

Post by iluvatar » Sun May 16, 2004 10:23 pm

Hey guys, I'm the infinitely-appreciative winner of the PSW TapeOpCon essay contest, and now with the convention coming up very soon, I'm making plans for accomodations.

Is anybody interested in sharing a hotel room for the weekend? I know this is my first post here and I don't know any of you guys, but I'm a pretty frequent poster over at the Harmony Central board (under the handle IsildursBane) and I think most of those guys would vouch that I'm not a deranged lunatic. :)

If you're interested, e-mail me at DCOSTEL1@rochester.rr.com

-Dan.
Dan Costello
Rochester, NY

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

registration price still $350

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed May 19, 2004 8:11 pm

FYI, the discounted registration price for the conference has been extended at $350 til may 27th and is now only $400 for walk-up registrations...
:)

Spy Boy
audio school graduate

Post by Spy Boy » Fri May 21, 2004 6:51 am

Though the Fairmont is now sold out, there are still some $99 rooms available in the TapeOp block at the SpringHill Suites. This suites hotel is right across the street from the Howlin' Wolf, which makes it an easy stumble home after the TapeOpCon showcases each night. And yeah, they do have a complimentary continenetal breakfast.

Reserve your room before Monday, May 24, by calling 888-364-1200 and requesting the ?TapeOpCon group room block."

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

FRENCHMEN STREET RECORDS SHOW IN NEW ORLEANS

Post by New Orleans Steve » Sun May 23, 2004 9:02 am

New Orleans Steve Here.

O.K. Our Show at The Banks Street Bar has been expanded. The Kenny Claiborne Band will be added to the bill and as long as it IS Tape Op Con. It's official this will be a LIVE RECORDING EVENT !
I will add details if any one here is technically inclined. YA RIGHT. We will difenatly post all the gorie details. The bands will be 3 or 4 pieces so, I?m thinking an 8 track production.
After the con we will mix and post thr results with mix details. ( I?m changing hosts on my web sight, and the new service is said to be download friendly. We will see). If there is intrest we can even make files available for others to mix!

FREE Admit AND Red Beans and Rice AND a FREE Street Car ride to the Event For All Tape Oppers and Cheap local draft (Abeta) to All. I mean Pictures start at under 2 bucks! This IS Real New Orleans.

The Free Street Car Ride is part of a ?Street Car Fest.? To commemorate the Brand New Canal Street Car Line. Directions ? Canal Street Street Car tward the Cemetaries. Gert off at S. Alexander the left 3 blocks to Banks Street. We will be at the corner of Banks and S. Alexander.
That?s a LIVE RECORDING EVENT at The Banks Street Bar Saturday, 5-29 with The Mike Darby Band and The Kenny Cliaborne Band. We will start around 9:30 New Orleans standard time and go till after 2:00.
5 Sets of Louisiana Rock. That?s Swamp Rock, Country Rock, Blues based Rock, A.O.R., Pop Rock,
P.M. for more details
Steve
www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

Spy Boy
audio school graduate

Post by Spy Boy » Mon May 24, 2004 7:20 am

New Orleans Steve,

A few weeks ago Dave from Hotbox Studio was endlessly flamed for his blatant and innapropriate use of this message board to promote his studio. You have escaped similar response by avoiding use of BOLDFACE CAPS, but you are far more guilty of shameless coopting of this board to repeatedly promote your own gigs, even as it directly competes with the TapeOpCon Showcase that same night.

It sure would be nice if you were to register for TapeOpCon, especially since you are local, have no hotel or airfare expenses and are such an avid board poster. It would be even nicer if you were to cease trying so hard to promote your own show on this TapeOp board, especially since you are trying to pull people away from the TapeOpCon show at Howlin' Wolf that same night.

I tried to have this as a private conversation, but since your phone listed on your website has been disconnected and you didn't respond to either my emails or PMs, I couldn't remain silent any longer. Show some respect and promote your shows elsewhere.

Craig and the folks from TapeOp have busted tail to make this an awesome conference, including lining up Calexico, Black Heart Procession, Sasha Zand, Steve Wynn and The North Mississippi Allstars for an unbelievable showcase Saturday night.

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Mon May 24, 2004 8:29 am

So as not to corrupt this forum and this thread I started a new one. Check it out it has more details.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=14825

Hi Spy Boy,
Sorry I have not received any PM or Email from you I think there is a problem with my email. You are correct in most of your observations. But Do you really think Kenny Claiborne and Mike Darby are going to draw AGAINST The N. Ms. All Stars?
I really like The North Mississippi All Stars ? On one level I?m sorry I will not be there, but as is often the case ? I?ll be working.
Are Tape Opers that don't go to that gig Unloyal to the tape op nation? Lighten up.
I started posting to recommend gigs here in N.O. on the same thread as you. I did not even mention the Banks Street. In fact you did. If you are local you know that most visitors don't see Local music. Even sadder, most of them THINK they saw local music.
I'm just trying to keep it real. I'm not hyping much; there is no real profit motive. I don't offer services for hire. I'm not looking for gigs out of this. Just doin' what I always do - What tape op is about - recording music.
I will post full technical details of the tracking here.

Again. If any tape Opers. Want a file to mix that would be great. I figure some folks in this communality don't have the chance to track a live band and this could be a chance to help mix this live recording. Not to mention we will have some classy gear to use and evaluate the results.
Got a Mic pre you built? Contact me via P.M. You can bring it out and we'll give it a spin! This ain't no big corporate thing.
I think it would be really cool if you and others in this community could join us.
I'm just telling you so you know where I am coming from. Totally grass roots. Totally independent.
BTW what format do you use? Would you like to help mix a selection from this Date? Let me know.
Feel free to check my posts, with the exception of this post under the subject
?As tape op in New Orleans approaches?. I participate in the regular activities of this forum.
Steve

Check out this thread http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... highlight=

Visit us www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com
Or join Us for a Beer and a recording!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu May 27, 2004 9:14 am

I thought this quote from BigEasy.com was pretty funny:

"The image of New Orleans as an adult playland with everyone catching beads, downing Hurricanes and hitting the clubs till all hours isn't the whole story. Savvy families traveling with children give New Orleans high marks for its long list of wholesome, educational and downright fun activities."

Maybe they should have been more graphic while they're at it? "The image of New Orleans as an adult playland with everyone catching beads topless, downing Hurricanes and spewing chunks in the french quater, crazy bums hitting on young broads, and hitting the clubs and having sex in the street till all hours..."

I know it isn't that bad, I just thought it was a funny way to open a sentence advertising kids' activities :lol: