TapeOpCon gets closer...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
TapeOpCraig
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

TapeOpCon gets closer...

Post by TapeOpCraig » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:11 am

Hello everyone,
Well it is almost here, TapeOpCon 2004. I'm just back from New Orleans where we were successful in securing the famous Howlin' Wolf as our host night club for the music showcases and the Sunday night post party. I have also (just tonight actually) confirmed that Joey Burns and John Convertino of Calexico will back up Vic Chesnut Friday night. Also it looks like Jim Dickinson will sit in with his sons, Luther and Cody, during the NMA's set Saturday night. And if that isn't enough, Drums and Tuba will be playing on Sunday night after we have all had a few hours to drink and geek out post con. See the newly redesigned performers page on the TapeOpCon.com site for more info. www.tapeopcon.com

I also got a chance to spend some more time with Cosimo Matassa and he is a truly warm and wonderful person. He has graciously agreed to let us present him with a lifetime achievement award from all of us at Tape Op after his keynote address and we are working hard to get as many of the people he has worked with to come to his address Friday night. So, you never know how much musical history will be in that room and it will definitely be a once in a lifetime event.

The fact that New Orleans has been and continues to be a source of truly original American music and yet the musicians still struggle to earn a living there is as Tape Op as it gets. We know that the total cost to attend with travel, rooms, and registration is for many of you a financial stretch. To help make it more affordable, we are holding the $350.00 price until April 30th. Dayrate registration and even a free exhibits only option are now available on the registration page. Group discounts are also a great way to get a good price and find someone to share hotel rooms. Two people can share a room for $57.00 at our host hotel and stay in style and be right in the thick of it. With a $295.00 group rate, 3 nights at 57.00 and if you act now, an under $400.00 plane ticket your at $866.00. Even with food and drink you could keep it under a grand. Sure a grand will get you that thing you have always needed for your studio but you can't learn more about recording from gear. When you compare the level of studio and recording knowledge that comes together for three days and just look at what it would cost to work with some of these people for even one hour, the total costs are quite reasonable.

It all comes down to commitment. We are committed to deliver the best TapeOpCon to date and we hope everyone who has a chance, will come down and join in and make some new lifetime friends. We stand ready at TapeOpCon Headquarters (that little back room at the studio) to assist you and answer all your questions.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post. :D

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Re: TapeOpCon gets closer...

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:31 am

YOU GO, GRAIG!!!
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

squizo
pushin' record

Post by squizo » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:22 am

isn't there an essay contest for an all expense paid trip to TAPEOPCON for all us poor homeless 24 trakkers??

i also do dirty deeds

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:29 am

I think there should be grants given to TapeOp "ambassadors" as well. Like WIng. If that guy posts to any more threads the server will run out of clever titles for him and smoke will pour out.

I'm half-joking.
?Raoul Duke

maibla
alignin' 24-trk

Post by maibla » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:55 pm

Yah every year I miss out. But I dont cry, I stay strong.
There should be an essay contest.
Or some virtual pie-eating contest.
That would be difficult, but fun at least.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:43 pm

How about a contest where you put aside $60 bucks every month in order to attend next year's TapeOpCon? Shit, I spend more on cables and duct tape every year than I would to go to TapeOpCon...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Wally Heider
studio intern

Post by Wally Heider » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:25 am

i jsut registered for $295 from the ad on prosoundweb.com

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:17 am

I spend more on cables and duct tape every year than I would to go to TapeOpCon...
Nobody here needs to know that much about your sex life, Larry.
?Raoul Duke

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:00 am

What sex life? I'm hoping to get drunk and take advantage of myself in New Orleans though...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:04 am

Good idea. If I was a hermaphrodite I'd never leave the house.
?Raoul Duke

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:22 pm

All I can say is if you don't see some NEW ORLEANS MUSIC while you are here - all I can do is feel sorry for you!! I mean, i'm a little disipointed Not A SINGLE LOCAL Band. Somebody's Gona miss out!
Steve

check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:35 pm

hey NOLA Steve...
what are some good local bands to see? i'll be there an extra night or two...
what are some good clubs?
:mrpink: hillary

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:28 am

OK... we're starting some new forums over at PSW... Tape Op Con is an advertiser... we worked out a "co-promotion"... here ya go...

Tell us in 50 words or fewer why you think you should get a comp entry to TapeOpCon 2004... post entries on j.hall's " Indie rock, in practice and in theory" forum on R/E/P...we'll look them over and pick out the one we like best.

Decision of the judges is final... not open to Tape Op or Huge Universe employees... and whatever other legal bullshit surrounds these sort of contest things.

While you're there... you might want to check out Harvey Gerst's "Budget? Budget? We Don' Got No Steenkin' Budjet" forum as it got some great ideas on how to do cool stuff on the cheap. There are a couple of other forums that you might find useful as well... like George Massenburg's "Reason In Audio" forum, or Klaus Heyne's 'high end microphone' forum... John Klett's 'tech forum', along with Brad Blackwood on mastering and engineer/producer's Michael Wagener, Ross Hogarth and Kevin Rose's "Whatever Works" forum [understanding the term "cross promotion" now?]

Deadline for entries is midnight 13 May, 2004...

You're going to still be responsible for your own transportation and hotel... so you might want to arrange them now as the deadline is like 2 weeks from the event.

Best of luck with it!!!

j.hall
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by j.hall » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:08 pm

Just a side note to Fletcher's post:

please do not email me privately, or Private Message (PM) me through the R/E/P site about this.

we only have one entry thus far, so the odds look good for that person.

mcsnare
audio school graduate

Post by mcsnare » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:13 am

I'm psyuper psyched about going this year, I've been tryin' to make it since the first one. Haven't been to Nawlins in ages either, but what a fun, vibey town. I saw the Re Birth Brass Band play at the Treme Music Hall once, it was awesome. I'll see ya'll down dere.
Dave McNair