Ryan Adams

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Ryan Adams

Post by Shawn Simmons » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:02 am

I just got Ryan Adams' new double disc effort, "Love is Hell Pt. 1 & 2". I'm not a huge fan of his but this new stuff is really good. Great recordings, cool mood, good songs. I've only really gotten into the first disc but so far, I like it. I know, I know the cover of "Wonderwall" is a stretch. (I actually like it better than the original wanker version, so there). Some great musicians play on this and some really talented production guys make their mark (John Porter from Roxy Music, Joe McGrath) Check it out if you haven't already. "The Shadowlands" is awesome.

Anyone else?

And I don't really care if you think Ryan Adams is an asshole. I don't know him and don't care. I'm sure a lot of my favorite artists are assholes. But I don't have to live with them so fuck it, I'll just like their music.

Shawn

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Re: Ryan Adams

Post by stillafool » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:16 am

As much as I hate the guy, he was probably the best performer at that absurd "The Wall" show they put on in Berlin (I saw it on a free pay per view preview on my satellite tv), although that isn't saying much.

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:07 am

Wait a minute, I think that was Bryan Adams.

saultime
pushin' record

Post by saultime » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:48 am

Yeah.
I'm actually a pretty big Ryan Adams fan. I think he's picked up a major chick audience since I started listening, but he keeps delivering with the music, so I don't mind all that much. :?

I think I liked "love is hell" more than "rock n roll"- that one is cool, but I don't think any of the songs really stand out...not like "nuclear" from Demolition--now that was great. And I actually like all of the Morrissey-esque moments.

But my favorite is stil "cuts like a knife."

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:32 am

stillafool wrote:Wait a minute, I think that was Bryan Adams.
GOD DAMN IT, YOU GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!!! I'M THE BEST SONGWRITER IN THE WORLD MOTHERFUCKER!!! YOU SHOULD KNOW MY NAME!!! THIS PISSES ME OFF SOOOOOOO BAD. I NEED TO CALL COURTNEY AND TALK TO SOMEONE WHO'S MORE EGOTISTICAL THAN ME, SO THAT I CAN RECOVER FROM, YET AGAIN, BEING CALLED BRYAN ADAMS.

YOU PEOPLE DON'T DESERVE MY MUSIC.

LOVE,
CRYIN' RYAN

Dan Phelps
steve albini likes it

Post by Dan Phelps » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:39 am

I had kind of written Ryan Adams off until a friend played me Love Is Hell pt. 1. Of course, all I knew of him til then was his "New York, New York" single.
What do you guys think of the production on Love Is Hell? I'm crazy about it. I think there's as much emotion in the sounds on this record as there is in the performances, i.e. "Shadow Lands" and "Wonderwall."

I totally agree that his ver. of Wonderwall schools the Oasis one.

My two cents.

D

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:41 am

heh heh.

I haven't heard the record--it's hard for me to separate the music from the paranoid wack asshole. I loved Strangers Almanac back when he was still a stranger.

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:49 am

My sister is dating one of his bandmates...
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

junokane
pushin' record

Post by junokane » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:33 am

I'm a fan of Ryan Adams. I think he definitely has great songwriting ability and probably puts on a good show. I've got a few records, going back to Whiskeytown (BTW, if you haven't heard former Whiskeytown vocalist/fiddler Caitlin Cary's 2 records, check them out -- Chris Stamey prod.).

Still, I think Adams' career is at a crossroads where he'd better look both ways and think carefully. I think he might be flooding the marketplace a bit, and the content of his recent outpourings might benefit from some well-placed pruning. Go ahead, write 100,000 songs. Just don't release all of them, all the time.

Also, Ryan, get out of the media spotlight. You're starting to get a Ben Affleck vibe.
Juno Kane
---------------------------------------------------
used to be nobody did, but now people are starting to tell me squat

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:30 am

I've been a huge Ryan Adams fan for years. I don't care what he's like, who he talks shit on or if he has a bit of an ego. I love the Love is Hell stuff and RnR kicks some major ass too. I don't think he's topped Heartbreaker, but it's all personal opinion when it comes to music.

I do want to say that I'm glad that he is constantly releaseing records. I don't think you can get overexposed if you don't suck. Yeah, some people have tried it and failed, but Ryan hasn't released a shitty record yet. It's nice to not have to wait around for 5 years for a record (ala Tool... yawn)

So yeah, Love is Hell kicks my ass and Shadowlands is one of my Top 10 songs ever...

Later,
Musik

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:43 pm

Walnut Studios wrote:My sister is dating one of his bandmates...
Congratulations! :?:

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:51 pm

Heartbreaker has some great songs on it. I especially like Amy. Very creative arrangement.

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:31 pm

I like some of the songs on the new EP's, and a lot of the sounds. The very first sound, for example, that piano is nice and big and spacious. The anti-paean to Beth Orton is pretty cool.

Don't both records sound pretty 80's? Not quite sure what it is. Some of the guitars remind me of Echo & the Bunnymen (<=not joking).

Like the Wonderwall cover too, it works.

lilcapn
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lilcapn » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:45 pm

hearbreaker's production is so simple, and so great. great batch of songs too.

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:54 pm

Oh, I don't really care about that. He's an OK guy, but I wouldn't want to hang around with him all the time...
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas