Gain Riders?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Re: Gain Riders?

Post by brian beattie » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:58 am

well, as I understand, the zero mix is a mix where the recording was done with such perfection in relation to the music's dynamics (with lots of planning, gain riding, and/or PERFECTLY PLAYED MUSICAL DYNAMICS) that at mix time, all that is needed is to throw up the faders to zero and.... you know, cheez whiz and bong hits, and next thing you know you're famous.
this is how all of the old classical recordings were done, but I don't think they had aerosol cheese yet...
brian

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:04 pm

Ok - I'm get it. I think I might've had a zero mix once or twice - completely by default, admittedly. It was sorta like - no, I'm sorry. I won't be tempted on the analogy front. There's been enough smut on this board for one week as it is (what with Metallica shag-pad shannanigans, etc).
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:57 pm

I actually shoot for Unity at all times. I like the sound of returning something at the right level better than the sound of fader attenuation. Gain structure keeps things "open" and clear. I dont think a "zero mix" is about tracking a quiet string part too low to get a desirable S/N or tone, you just need to trim somewhere better sounding than the fader to make it shine. On the other hand, Yuo really should be willing to do whatever it takes to make stuff sound great. Even mix.

I daves quote:

"that is my two cents, and it aint worth a dollar."