Good years for cheap Squier/Fender guitars?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
WyteTyger
ass engineer

Good years for cheap Squier/Fender guitars?

Post by WyteTyger » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:18 pm

I've read before that certain eras of cheap (mexican/japanese) Fenders and Squiers are better than others. Anyone know anything about this? Should I be looking for like, early 1980's Squiers? Thanx in advance.

Chris

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Good years for cheap Squier/Fender guitars?

Post by inverseroom » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:17 pm

Ah, my favorite topic. I'd say the only Squiers to go for are Vista Series and Pro Tone. Pro Tones were high-end Korean guitars, just Teles and Strats I think. Not many were made before Fender nixed the line. The Vista Series was MIJ, and included the Jagmaster, Venus, Supersonic, and maybe one other. The Japanese Jagmasters are killer--they're made from leftover MIJ Jaguar and Jazzmaster reissue parts. I wish Vista had continued; it was a failed attempt to give Squier its own separate identity, a la Epiphone.

I really like the Japanese Fenders, mostly from the 80's. The 50's-reissue Strats and Teles are in my opinion some of the best ones Fender ever made!

tonylamont
audio school graduate

Post by tonylamont » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:23 pm

I think the consensus is that the very early 80's Japanese Squiers are the best, commonly referred to as the "JV" models. Followed by the "SQ" (84-ish vintage) models.

I also like the mid-late 80's also, altho the later 80's teles have sucky top-mounted (non thru-body) bridges. I have an '86 and I put on a thru body bridge and fralin pickups and now it sounds awesome. These models also have basswood bodies, which people harbor widely differing opinions on. But personally I think mine sounds as good or better than any non-vintage, non-custom shop tele I've ever played.

For whatever reason that 80's Fender Japan factory put out great stuff, IMO better than most recent Fender American stuff. Dunno about the Mexican stuff.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:48 pm

I'll go out on a limb here, but I think that a lot of the current Fender and Squire line, domestic or offshore, is pretty well made. Not WELL, well made but totally decent.. I played a $129 Indonesian Squire that albeit was in need of better hardware and electronics, played very well.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:19 pm

I have a '95 Korean Squire that really kicks out the tunes nicely. I think it goes without saying that any guitar you get should get a professional setup. Recently I tossed a Seymore Duncan mini 59 into the bridge and it added a whole new flavor to... the dimension. I guess...

I'm sensing a slight "Wand or Magician/Musician?" undertone here, which I always enjoy. I side with the latter half, myself. Really, I have a super soft spot in my heart for cheap 'n ugly guitars of any kind... they can hold great personality and charm that is unavailable elsewhere. Or they can buzz.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:27 am

I send the JV or SQ series early 80s Squier Starts. I own two of them and they are just about all I ever play. I have played guitar for close to 20 years and have owned everything from a 93 American Standard to a crazy Gibson Corvous(cool guitar, wish I hadn't sold it 15 years ago!). Those early 80s Squiers with the big headstock are just awesome! One of mine has stock pickups that rock! The other has a set of EMG SAs that are really good live. I like the stock PUs for recording. I think they had mostly US PUs and good parts. I will never part with mine. I have heard they are based on a '72 Strat. Funny thing is I like my Squiers better than most real 70s I've played. The necks are a little thinnner but not too thin like 80s metal guitars. I hope the prices on these don't go up because of posts like this because I would really like to buy at least 1 more :)

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:27 am

Sorry, send should be second. I second the JV or SQ series. Mine are both SQ series BTW.

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:46 am

The Fenders and Squiers of the early to mid-80's were made in the same Japanese factory, often with the same parts and with better QC than Fender USA. I had an 80's Squier Strat with one of the nicest necks I've ever played. Bargains can be had...

damian
audio school graduate

Post by damian » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:16 am

I had an early 90s Squire that was pretty decent... I had a 90s peavey predator that I think had a better sound though... and it was about the same price...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:42 pm

I had an early Squier Tele that I liked, except for the weak PUp's. Sold it when I bought an American Strat in the same (ivory?) color, 400% better guitar.

I still have an early '90's HSS Floyd Rose'd Jap Statr, all black, with some fancey push-pull electronics, that I consider better than any Strat I've ever played.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:02 pm

I had a late 80's Squier Strat that rocked! The pickups were so-so, but it played like a million bucks when I wasn't doing stupid things to it like taking it completely apart and not being able to put it back together. A buddy of mine bought a Squier Tele in the late 80's, ordered it from our local Fender dealer, went to pick it up when it arrived and got a Japanese made Fender Tele instead (by mistake?). We were never able to figure that one out. Played great and he still has it.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

depthofield
studio intern

Post by depthofield » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:22 pm

YES - The highly underrated Bullets - not to be confused with the $99 bullets at GC these days - those really are shite...

Check out the '81-'83 Fender Bullet with the weird tele-style body and 1-piece metal pickguard and bridge - ALSO the '84 Squier bullet - 3/4 size Strat-style no-contour body and tele-style head. A wonderfully playing neck, IMHO. Supposedly the pickups in those were leftovers from Mustangs too. '84 bullets are DCFC's Ben Gibbard's choice guitar - hear them mostly all over the 1st 2 albums.

The whole guitar really does seem like a "spare parts" kind of thing, but i love them; I have 2 and bought one for my father-in-law so he would stop trying to sneak mine from my house...

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:34 pm

i have a squire strat i bought new in '87 and still have. i've replaced a lot of it, but it's still fundamentally a great guitar.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

foley
pushin' record

Post by foley » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:43 pm

This is really strange because I was just out at the Guitar Center up in Arlington Heights today and was checking out the Squier basses for a friend. Man, those things sucked. I have not idea where they are being made, but I have been playing bass and guitar for almost fifteen years now, and these were easily some of the crappiest sounding things I have heard. The necks where not even true.

I have no idea about the guitars, but there is no way I would pay money for a 2004 Squier p-bass.

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:38 pm

I love my squire tele!!
I put a regular USA pickup in it and it sounds and plays so good.
I record it next to my 60's gold top all the time.

People laugh till they hear it.