Building a studio in a storage space

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
kdarr
buyin' gear

Building a studio in a storage space

Post by kdarr » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:10 pm

Is this feasible in any way? I have recently been thinking about finding a small space in which to set a studio up... with my budget, there aren't a whole lot of options.

I had thought about using a band practice-type space, but usually the bleed from other bands make those kind of places useless for recording, unless you only go at weird times when other bands won't be there. But that whole situation just sucks.

I knew a guy who had his studio in a rental storage space, and it seemed to work out okay for him.

Is doing that even legal, or possible? I mean as far as noise laws, zoning, etc. I'm not looking to record other bands, just my own projects, and there won't be a drum kit set up (at least for now). We might want to do some cranking of guitar and bass amps, but that's about it.

As always, any suggestions/advice would be most appreciated.

|<|>|

P.S. I did read Assfortress's thread on finding spaces.

Meriphew
deaf.

Re: Building a studio in a storage space

Post by Meriphew » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:13 pm

If you're talking about a Shurgard type place, I would avoid that like the plague. I could be wrong, but I don't even think it would be legal to run a business out of one.

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:31 pm

Most storage-unit places make you sign an agreement that states that you will not live in, conduct a business from, or otherwise do anything but store your shit in the storage unit.

I know this 'cause I have two storage units and a similar thought occurred to me once. I can't record drums or loud guitars in my apartment :(

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:41 pm

Yeah, I figured as much. I dunno how the guy I knew that did it got away with it. He recorded a couple of bands in a damned Shurgard space.

Cheap, studio-capable commercial space is frikkin' hard to find. As if the gear wasn't enough.

I need me a lottery win.

|<|>|

damian
audio school graduate

Post by damian » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:54 pm

I had the same problem trying to record in practice spaces... and when all my friends were done letting me record in their mom's livingrooms... I had to find a solution.

What I did was find a place in an industrial part of town... one of those live work places. We sound proofed it... and the neighbors don't complain too much...

There are even some live/work places that have sound proofed rooms already built into them... (some with dark rooms) ... you just gotta keep your eyes out...

Cheers!

hiwatt33
gettin' sounds

Post by hiwatt33 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:58 pm

Meriphew wrote:If you're talking about a Shurgard type place, I would avoid that like the plague. I could be wrong, but I don't even think it would be legal to run a business out of one.
I can vouch for that. Got every last piece of band gear stolen outta one some years back. Never again.

lutopia
pushin' record

Post by lutopia » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:32 pm

The guy I know that built one of these storage place studios new the owner. With that said, I would personally advise against that sort of thing because it's a pain in the ass! No bathrooms, wall-unit air-conditioners, constant chore of giving out gate codes and people trying to get in and out. I did what I had to do, but it sure wasn't pleasant.
lfg

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:34 pm

Kdarr - Look around in the Georgetown area. That's one of the better spots right now.

jef
audio school

Post by jef » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:46 pm

me and a friend had the same problem a few months back. but we found a mini storage that would let bands rent and jam at. sowe rented a 10x30 and even built a control room in it.since then we got a few jobs and its been great!if you find a place look for power outlets.power and proper grounding can be a problem.good luck and rock on! :D