Jucifer

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
chris harris
speech impediment

Jucifer

Post by chris harris » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:55 am

anyone mix Jucifer live??

and, on a related note, "huh?" "what?"

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Re: Jucifer

Post by thunderboy » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:56 pm

Several times.
It is...challenging.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:52 pm

what a daunting proposition! it's obvious no reinforcement is neccessary for all the guitar/bass cabs though.

all i can think of when i see or listen to them is "damn.. it would be sooo much fun to be in this band!" Too bad if you try to form your own jucifer-esque band it would be more ripoff than homage.

last time i saw 'em i was right up front and i could feel the organs vibrating inside my body. after 5 minutes i got a weird feeling like a gremlin was tickling my stomach and had to move off to the side!

i can't wait for the rumored triple album, although it's probably just a joke.

ryan_c
steve albini likes it

Post by ryan_c » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:20 pm

Triple? Wow! I heard it was going to be a double album. They seem pretentious enough to go for the triple, though, so there may be some merit to the rumor you heard. What a seriously awesome, awesome band. Totally bonecrushing. I can imagine doing sound for them would be pretty intimidating.
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE DANGER!

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:02 pm

Any relation to Pucifer?
-GABE

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:03 am

Hey,

Other than the novel set up and hot people in the band.... what is there to Jucifer? I live in Athen's where they are from and have seen them alot and wanted to like them... but couldn't bring myself to do it. It's a one trick pony... it's like cool if you are 14.

I'm not meaning to sound like a dick. THey are nice people and work HARD. I respect them, I just can't help looking at the people who get so into them and feeling sorry for them... "awww, poor little white kids, wanna be scary huh? oh, you're so weird!"

Ouch, that was totally asshole on my part! I'm seriously just kidding you guys, just poking you with a stick. It's just a annoying part of my personality I guess. Call it "confrontational".

Just please help me out and tell me MUSICALLY why Jucifer is worth anything?

Thanks, and I WAS JUST TEASING.

Martin

headache9
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by headache9 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:11 am

I've seen em a few times. I have to say I like listening to the albums more than taking the pummeling you get at the shows. But the whole visual of that crazy hottie amber playing a small club with a wall of 20 random speaker cabs behind her always brings tears of joy to my eyes.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:20 am

i saw them at the knitting factory in nyc and 2 minutes into their set i needed to take a crap. it was from the mega vibrations of volume. cool!

musically, eh. i dont know. the drummer has a cool drumset.. i guess they would do better if they wrote better songs.

i heard the album with the white picture on the front and thought it was the most treble-iest thing ever.

somehow they are still a cool band to me. go figure :)

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:39 am

it's not the music that I listen to... but, for a show, their whole schtick was much more interesting than most of the shows I see. It sure beats the whole phony, practice-my-snarl-in-the-mirror, spirit-of-77-from-a-kid-who-was-born-in-the-80's, garbage that I see way too much of.

Jucifer's fans were a little strange, though.... a little worship-ful??

The band, including their light-guy/roadie and their chihuahua were all incredibly nice.

It was a pleasure to work the show. I had been warned that it'd be a pain in the ass.... but, it was fun.

during the set, I was talking to (screaming to) the guy who booked the show, and telling him, "I'M PUSHING THE VOCALS ABOUT AS FAR AS I CAN AND YOU CAN STILL ONLY HEAR THEM WHEN SHE'S NOT PLAYING!!"

and, he said (shouted), "IF THEY WANT TO HEAR WHAT SHE'S SINGING, THEY CAN GO HOME AND LISTEN TO THE FUCKING RECORDS!! THIS IS WHAT SEEING JUCIFER IN A SMALL CLUB IS ALL ABOUT!!!"

ryan_c
steve albini likes it

Post by ryan_c » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:27 pm

I ilke them because they're heavy. Well, not all of their songs, but the songs I like (which is probably most of them) are heavy. Really heavy.
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE DANGER!