How would you go about getting Drum sounds like Pantera FBD?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dc11
gettin' sounds

How would you go about getting Drum sounds like Pantera FBD?

Post by dc11 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:13 am

I'm tracking a friends band in the studio at the school, so I've got an SSL board, tons of space and a huge selection of mics to choose from. Whats a good way to get those sounds from Far Beyond Driven? We're only recording drums there. I'm doing the rest at my place. Any and all suggestions are mucho appreciated.
My knob taste funny

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Re: How would you go about getting Drum sounds like Pantera

Post by Roman Sokal » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:51 am

hard to say- all i recall is that the drummer produced and/or engineered their records. so, it could be a mixture of his 'sound' in terms of how he plays. however i suspect he triggers certain samples on every album. maybe they're his own samples?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:01 pm

I'm about to do a metal/hardcore album. I don't listen to alot of that stuff... but, the guys in the band brought me some cd's of productions that they like, and ALL of the kicks and snares sound like triggered samples.

So, now I'm looking for a cheap trigger to midi converter. Any suggestions?

I'm not a big fan of the triggered kicks and snares... I feel like I could get BETTER sounds on my own. But, for this project and the budget that they have, I think that I'll just give them what they want instead of trying to do something that I think will sound better than what they want.

chris

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:28 pm

A decent inexpensive trigger to MIDI converter and percussion sound module is the Alesis D4. The DM5 also has some decent sounds, although I prefer most of the D4's snare drum samples. I haven't had any experience with the DM Pro, but it's supposed to be an improved version of those units.

Not that I listen to much Pantera, but those records have always struck me as having really dry drums sounds in addition to whatever's being triggered. If the drums are muffled, the triggers applied to the heads or shells (assuming you're trggering from the drums and not off of tape) will track better if the heads are muffled. You'll also have a little more control over being able to use the overheads, which I would recommend positioning to pick up cymbals, primarily.

Hope this helps.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:37 pm

I have done a few metal records where we didnt want to use samples, so compression and gating was extreme, and it made everything able to be heard even when there was a solo, along with 9 guitar overdubs and uber bass, along with some sub synth from taurus pedals.

I use an alesis DM5 when I need to trigger something, either with the built in sounds or via midi if I am using a sampler.

You can get those sounds if you are careful to track with those sounds in mind. I have never tracked a kick drum with too much beater. If I did, I could roll it back and take down bleed with it. Track a TON of beater TO tape, then if you can get away with it, you can attenuate in the mix. I always think I am going to be able to roll it back a hair, but then the guitars come up and I never have to.

Make all the sounds extra thwacky, because the stick presence is more important than tone in a super dense mix. I good 2mix comp can help you get a super dense, slabs of heavy ogre attack sound.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:16 pm

If it's an Ulrich Wilde engineered disc, it's at least an AKG D112 on the kick drum and AKG 451s on the overheads.

I razzed him pretty hard when we mixed Static X's "Wisconsin Death Trip" about the cheap sound of his cymbals.

Whatever! lol

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by E-cue » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:01 pm

assloads of Gated Reverb