lets talk about MXL 990 and 991 mics....

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
hearing loss
studio intern

lets talk about MXL 990 and 991 mics....

Post by hearing loss » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:46 am

So my birthday was last week. I went out for Italian with my folks. My mom gave me a card with $100 in it. She said to buy a mic with it. I laughed. The next day i see a guitar center flyer and notice a deal for MXL 990 and 991 (LDC and SDC) in a little case for $100. I had a gig in the same town as guitar center so I popped in. They look okay. I should add to The only mics I have that cost less than $300 are SM57's (which I love of course) I have Neumanns, Earthworks, tons of Sennheiser mics, etc...

I asked about return policy in case I hated them. They don't allow returns on "vocal mics" I laughed thinking "I'll likey use my U87 more" and will be trying this MXL 990 on instruments. But it's a vocal mic to guitar center. Anyway, I decided to grab em. I actually used the 991 that night on high hat. It seems to have a high output and got a fair amount of bleed from the 2 snare drums. Beside that I have not plugged them back in. I might have time today.

So does anyone have experience with these mics? I looked all over the internet and couldn't even verify that there is a 991 model, ha ha...

The only info I find on the MXL 990 is marketing. Anyone have any tips for where this mic shines or doesn't?

I'd love to hear any good/bad experiences.

Thanks alot TAPEOP-ERS!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Re: lets talk about MXL 990 and 991 mics....

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:52 am

hearing loss
studio intern

Post by hearing loss » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:04 am

Ah, that thread was mini when I first saw it. I'd like to discuss it further if anyone can chime in. I'll monitor both threads. Thanks.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:49 am

hearing loss wrote:I asked about return policy in case I hated them. They don't allow returns on "vocal mics"
That codifies the stupidity of their mindset right there. As everybody here would agree, any mic can be a vocal mic.

Next time I'm in there and they give me that speech, I'll ask with a straight face, "Do you have the same policy for your anus mics?"

Leigh

edit/PS: Actually, on the GC website, they claim a no return policy on all microphones.

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:11 am

I emailed MXL to ask about the 991. They weren't very informative, but claimed that they were "electronically similar" to the 603s. The adds are also misleadin, in that the 990 isn't really an LDC, but rather the same size diaphragm as the 603, 991 etc. in a larger housing. That said, the 990 has gotten some decent reviews.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

hearing loss
studio intern

Post by hearing loss » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:45 am

I noticed the diaphram in the mic was not as bit as typical LDC's. It is bigger than the 991 though. Has to be. [edit] Your totally right. I got a better look at it with light shining through it. It is the same size diaphram. How can they call this mic a LDC? Don't they have to be an inch for LDC? Maybe I made that up... [/edit]

I had a heavy metal singer friend over and had him give it a good metal scream. It sounded good! I didn't ask him to actually sing in it though. For what that is worth.

The 990 didn't do so well on a leslie bottom. I used it live so didn't have any placement auditioning time. It did go inside the cabinet and I didn't have wind issues which can happen with a LDC in a leslie cabinet.

covert
pushin' record

Post by covert » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:35 am

hearing loss wrote:I noticed the diaphram in the mic was not as bit as typical LDC's. It is bigger than the 991 though. Has to be. [edit] Your totally right. I got a better look at it with light shining through it. It is the same size diaphram. How can they call this mic a LDC? Don't they have to be an inch for LDC? Maybe I made that up... [/edit]
There's no legal definition for large diaphragm.
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:38 am

hearing loss wrote:I noticed the diaphram in the mic was not as bit as typical LDC's. It is bigger than the 991 though. Has to be. [edit] Your totally right. I got a better look at it with light shining through it. It is the same size diaphram. How can they call this mic a LDC? Don't they have to be an inch for LDC? Maybe I made that up... [/edit]

I had a heavy metal singer friend over and had him give it a good metal scream. It sounded good! I didn't ask him to actually sing in it though. For what that is worth.

The 990 didn't do so well on a leslie bottom. I used it live so didn't have any placement auditioning time. It did go inside the cabinet and I didn't have wind issues which can happen with a LDC in a leslie cabinet.
No one said this was an LDC
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:18 am

i brought in one of my 990's today for my production guy at work and he popped the mic behind his steadman and did a quick spot with it...

hear it for yourself:
http://www.dc101.com/990.mp3

and he normally uses the Lawson "L47 C" so he did the same spot for comparison:
http://www.dc101.com/lawson.mp3

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:27 am

covert wrote:I emailed MXL to ask about the 991. They weren't very informative, but claimed that they were "electronically similar" to the 603s.
I'm curious about this. I read somewhere on ...erm.. another message board, that the 991 was just a rehoused 603. No one disputed it there... can this be true?