ribbon replacement?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
soundhack
takin' a dinner break

ribbon replacement?

Post by soundhack » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:22 pm

i have a couple beyer m160s that have seen a bit of studio time and are in need of ribbon repair. i have heard that there is someone who will upgrade these ribbons with something a little nicer (i think it was an rca ribbon). has anyone had experience with this upgrade (and a pointer to the people who do it)???

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Re: ribbon replacement?

Post by dwelle » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:16 pm

steve sank.

can't remember his website off hand, but do a google search.

he is the dude...

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:18 pm

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:20 pm

Call Royer. They'll do it for you. Don't expect the mics to ever sound the same. Ribbon replacement is a sticky business. We found our M160s to be under constant duress when I was at Master Control. The mics just didn't hold up well under normal to light use.

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:26 pm

haven't done my m160 yet, but i will. steve sank puts rca ribbons in there. changes the sound a good bit everyone says, and for the better. all the info is there. many folks here have been very pleased with his work. definitely check it out...

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:47 pm

There's also Wes Dooley out in CA. I've heard great things about both him and Steve Sank.

Roger

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:03 pm

There's also Wes Dooley out in CA. I've heard great things about both him and Steve Sank.

Roger

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:40 pm

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:02 pm

I sent two rca 74b's and a B&O to mr. sank for repair. I know that people seem to love sanks work, but all three mics sound like absolute hell. And its totally the ribbon. There is nothing above 5K on any of the mics and the high end approaching that is very scratchy sounding. You couldnt possibly use these mics the way they are for a drum kit with cymbals or vocals. the effect is mighty cool on a guitar cab, but whats to get excited about above 5K on a guitar? First I thought I was just spoiled by some other very good sounding ribbons, but every single person who has heard them, musician or engineer have all said the same thing "what the fuck is up with that mic". the fact that all three behave identically lead me to believe that somethign is up. I want to send them back just to see what the story is. There's no way this can be the sound that people love. three mics though, I dont know... At least its consistent...

Wes Dooley on the other hand has been working on my 4038 over the years and every time I get it back with a new ribbon it sounds better than I previously remembered it sounding. My vote is for wes.

dave

Morris
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Morris » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:49 am

I dont know about steve but Wes Dooley at AEA did up my RCA dx77. I retrieved the mic from the trash of a tech who passed away whose family was cleaning his place out. They actually threw it in the trash i just happen to be walking by. Total clean up, new screen, new ribbon, new cord, and a stylin AEA case. Great people out there. When i first got it back the ribbon was rubbing on something you could here it. It got bumped around too much by our friends in the shipping bussiness. They call tagged it, reribboned it, and shipped it back to me in a week. Anyway that my Wes Dooley experience. good luck

soundhack
takin' a dinner break

Post by soundhack » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:15 pm

thanks for all the good advice... wes dooley is just 30 minutes away from my studio, so i'll definitely give him a call.