help me spend $1150!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
nathan
alignin' 24-trk

help me spend $1150!

Post by nathan » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:24 pm

aww shit, my tuition reimbursement check came in from ups today to the tune of $1500. after taking care of some other expenses, i'll have $1150 left over to blow on recording gear. so i figured i'd see what kind of advice i can get from my favorite online community.

here's what i have already: otari mx5050 mkIII 8 track, 1 rode nt1000 (ld condensor), 1 mxl603s (sd condensor), 2 sm57s, 1 atm25 (kick/bass mic), crappy soundblaster soundcard, sonic foundry vegas pro software.

one thing to consider is the fact that my band has all the basic tracks recorded for an album that we want to have out before playing some out of town shows in september, and we'd like to put all the tracks individually into the pc to be mixed. i have a friend who has a digi001 who would let us do the dump, but i know that i need to get an 8 input soundcard eventually as i plan to be doing this shit for the foreseeable future, possibly for profit. i just wanted to mention that as the main thing right now is being able to get this record mixed properly. i should be able to save about $200 a month for recording stuff after this, it's just not everyday that i get to blow this much cash at once.

here's what i was thinking: first i need some monitors. then i need an 8 input soundcard, a good at least 8 channel mixer (got my eye on a 16 channel soundcraft 200b in good shape with deluxe modules and flight case for $500), and the necessary equipment to keep the otari calibrated. it's mainly these last three that i'm having a hard time prioritizing and budgeting for, so i would definitely appreciate some help with that. also some budget monitor recommendations would be nice, but i'm leaning toward event 20/20bas. i obviously need more mics too, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to fit that in with this round of buying. ok thanks everybody

AstroDan
george martin

Re: help me spend $1150!

Post by AstroDan » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:43 pm

Preamps! Like a Sytek and a RNP, or maybe a DAAudio/Vintech 1272 or a Brent Averill API or...

Maybe a $1000 connector cable. Now THAT'S good spending.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:50 pm

Wow, kinda curious how you are getting the sound to tape. I would suggest a mixing board as the biggest priority and the monitors at a close second. Take a look back through these pages for some opinions on monitors - I'll throw out another plug for B&W speakers, and I the small PMC monitors are much more affordable than you would think. You will get lots of opinions on the monitors, but the best suggestion is to take a couple CDs and hit every electronics and hi-fi store in town - not just the music & pro audio shops, but the stereo shops and boutique hi-end stereo shops. Listen, learn and choose your poison based on your tastes, not ours, and not advertising.
By the time you work out a mixer and a monitor system (including amps?) you'll probably be done with the money. Consoles go very cheaply on eBay, and you should search for 'Soundcraft' 'Allen Heath' 'Soundtracs' 'Amek Tac' and also 'recording console' and 'mixing console' you will be amazed at what you see and the prices they are going for. If you find great deals and have money left over, just save it until you have enough money to buy some better quality mics. You already have a couple of cheaper mics - though you might get another nt1000 to have a pair.
I'd definitely say to stay clear of outboard boxes, mic preamps, compressors, and that kind of stuff until you have the basics in place.

Good luck

-Jeremy

nathan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nathan » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:00 pm

Wow, kinda curious how you are getting the sound to tape.
haha, yeah i failed to mention that we rented a soundcraft fx16 for the recording. wasn't too happy with the sound of it, but this one had definitely been around the block a few times.
Listen, learn and choose your poison based on your tastes, not ours, and not advertising.
point taken, i will try to do that.

as far as the console, do you think i could find a better deal than the soundcraft i mentioned in the first post? it would be coming from a reputable RAPer (mike rivers) and i've heard mostly good things about those mixers. i'm a little wary of ebay as i've been slightly burned a time or two.

what about my need to get audio from the otari into the pc? it seems to me that an 8 input soundcard would be pretty essential for me to really be up and running.

Professor

Post by Professor » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:16 pm

I've seen 200b consoles going in that range though their condition can swing widely and they are typically former live sound boards. I saw a Tascam 2500 board listed at 700 staring and a Soundcraft 400b afor a couple hundred, and a huge soundcraft 2400 for no reserve currently at around $150. The eBeast can be a good source, and a pain but it's worth a look.
As for the sound card, I would say that with a board you could record to tape, mix through the board and run to the computer as two channel for now. Take your friend up on the Digi-001 offer and save your pennies.
Be careful with that vanity CD in September too. Don't go and make 1000 copies of a home made basement recording. When most bands drop the cash for the 1000 copies, they tend to last longer than the band before being completely sold. But that is a totally different subject.
For now, just step away from your wallet and do some searching for the right next step - maybe talk it over with the band and see what the other guys are willing to throw down. Maybe they can get the computer interface going.

-Jeremy

moogplayer
steve albini likes it

Post by moogplayer » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:16 pm

I think I'd trust Mike Rivers & get the 200B. Are you paying shipping on that? If so, there's $50. Next I'd get a pair of Tannoy Reveal Monitors ($325). That's $875, leaving you $275. Not enough for an 8ch soundcard. But in a month or two you can get one...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:29 pm

Don't forget that you may need a power amp for your monitors. I'd recommend a set of active monitors and the Event speakers sound great, as do the Tannoys. Both tend to translate mixes well, too, and aren't just hypey. Remeber that if you're monitoring situation isn't good, you're really fighting the odds.

I'd also definitely recommend getting your CD professionally mastered by someone who does mastering every single day. I can recommend a couple of really great mastering engineers out there who will do a whole project for the $300 ball park. (And I'm not talking about myself, either. I just took a project to Abbey Road for mastering so I take this stuff pretty seriously.) I also agree with not initially getting 1000 copies pressed. That's great advice! Best of luck!

Chris

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:09 pm

I bought my ampex multitrack from mike rivers. There is nobody else out there quite like him, he's a total prince. You positively could NOT go wrong buying anything from mike as he's not the type of personality that is going to sell somethingn that is fucked up. Additionally, he's such a cool guy with three worlds of experience under his belt and is just a great guy to know. There are very very very few people I have had business dealings with that I would reccomend like this.

dave

fear of texas
gettin' sounds

Post by fear of texas » Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:20 pm

maybe pay some wiseguy to remove your kneecaps so you can kick yourself in the nuts for not knowing how to spend the $1150. i wish i had your problem. :)

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:41 am

Put the $1150 in the bank, wait for the "burning a hole in your pocket" syndrome to subside. Then the best ways to use the money will suggest themselves without prompting.

nathan
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nathan » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:51 pm

ahh god, you know what. when i said mike rivers i meant hank alrich. i don't know why i got those names mixed up. must be the drugs...

there's no way i can let this money gather dust in a savings account. i need to waste it NOW!