B & W Speaker suggestions

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
rucchi166
pluggin' in mics

B & W Speaker suggestions

Post by rucchi166 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:40 am

Hey Guys,
I need a little advice and insight on B & W Speakers. I want to get a pair because I think overall they sound pretty incredible. My budget is around $1500-$1700. So basically I am already priced out of the nautilus range (unless i only want 1 speaker) So I'm basically looking for suggestions and opinions. I do know that I would like some full range floor standers instead of the mini monitors, but all suggestions would be really helpful...Thanks.

SLiM BiLT
ass engineer

Re: B & W Speaker suggestions

Post by SLiM BiLT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:44 am

My girlfriend has a pair of DM 602 S2's and I think they are outrageously good. They are so revealing that it is downright painful when I make test mixes and play them on her stereo since these speakers bring out all the good and ALL the bad in a mix. (I've often considered nicking them and using them for my recording monitors.)

Also, a friend of mine who does some mastering work uses a pair (same model) as his main monitors. That's gotta mean something, I s'pose.
<i>Captain, I must protest. I am NOT a merry man.</i>

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:20 am

A pair of used Naut 805s are in your price range. I got a pair 6 months ago in perfect condition for $1275. They are fabulous. You should easily be able to get a pair of Matrix 805s, 804s, or 803s for that price range as well.

rucchi166
pluggin' in mics

Post by rucchi166 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:05 pm

Thanks Guys. Any suggestions on where i should look for used B&W's?

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:56 pm

rucchi166 wrote:Thanks Guys. Any suggestions on where i should look for used B&W's?
My friend uses B&W's in his studio, they are very nice speakers, but there no good for mixing rock music through, dont know the model number of hand...just a thought anyway.

Al

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:37 pm

rucchi166 wrote:Thanks Guys. Any suggestions on where i should look for used B&W's?
http://www.audiogon.com

It's kind of like ebay for the hi-fi / audiophile crowd.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:43 pm

If you were aiming for bookshelf speakers, I would also say to look for either a deal or a used set of Nautilus 805s or a shiny new set of CDM 1NT which I believe still run around $1300. The CDM 1 was always a personal favorite of mine, and the CDM 1NT is just a fabulous current model. I also really liked the CM series though they can have a bit of a bump around 1.5kHz, in particular on the bookshelf model, though the floor small floorstander had a bit of that as well.
The 600 series has always been my first call as the best sound for dollar speaker, with the 602 being the best bookshelf and the 604 being the best floorstander value of almost any speaker builder. The cost increase vs. performance increase rises quite sharply after departing from the 600 series. For a long time, I mixed on DM-602 and later DM 602-s3 speakers and really loved them, though I did secretly pine for CDM 1s and fantasize about Nautilus 802s. But, at $8k a pair they were always a little out of range, even when I could get them at cost (used to work at a dealer).
On closer looking though, it seems the CDM series ain't there anymore. I suspect the 700 series took their place, but I imagine those would be within your price range. The Naut. 805 retailed at $2000 a pair, so the 705 must be down in the 1300-1500 range and it's possible the 704 might fall within your range. I've not heard those personally as I've been gone from that dealer for a little over a year now. But I've installed every model of the 300, 600, CM, CDM, and Nautilus 800 series and can safely say that any of them would be a great investment.
For the record though, I'd suggest not gooing with something as old as a used Matrix 800 series unless you're getting a screaming deal on Matrix 801s, as the new technology in the Nautilus series just blows the old line away, in my humble opinion.

-Jeremy

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:28 am

Al wrote:My friend uses B&W's in his studio, they are very nice speakers, but there no good for mixing rock music through...
Tell that to the folks at Abbey Road.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:35 am

cgarges wrote:
Al wrote:My friend uses B&W's in his studio, they are very nice speakers, but there no good for mixing rock music through...
Tell that to the folks at Abbey Road.
and albini...and weston...

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."