Oktava ML52 mods-

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
auralman
buyin' gear

Oktava ML52 mods-

Post by auralman » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:26 am

Last night I made some mods to my ML52s (I have one -01 and one -02):

-removed the brass plosive shields (both mics)
-removed the kitchen door screen over the ribbon(on the -01)
-added some better screen around the perimeter of the inside (on the -01)
-Replaced the offensively crappy transformers with Lundahl 2911s (both)

Result - :shock: Frickin wowee. I recorded some before and afters, and it's like I have 2 new mics that completely slay the old ones. The dual ribbon model (the 02) sounds particularly beautiful, with smooth, long mids, mellow highs, and a thick low end. The single ribbon reminds me (seriously) of the 77 - a side by side revealed some differences in the highs, with crisper detail on the 77, but the variations I've heard from make to make on the vintage 77s is wide enough to make that claim.

Every now and again, GC sells these things for $200, which is an absolute steal with these mods. The trannie only costs $58 from kandkaudio.com and the result is one singin-ass mic.

darjama
tinnitus

Re: Oktava ML52 mods-

Post by darjama » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:26 am

how difficult is replacing the transformer? I've done enough soldering to fix a cord or guitar electronics, but not anything more complicated.

I've told myself that I'd wait until my warranty runs out to play around with a mod on my ml52, but I may not be that patient.

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:30 am

VERY simple. First, the old one practically falls out.

I forgot to mention - I also replaced the leads to the ribbons from the trannie.

Strapping the lundahl takes about 5 minutes, gluing it (i used crazy glue, but rubber cement would have been better) and wiring it all together maybe took 10 minutes.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:09 am

Cool!

What is the model number for the lundahl? Maybe I will get a jensen equivalent and we can check 'em out side by side.

Sounds like a fun project. I like my ML52 now, but I am always up for a fun project. (i actually have 2 days off in a row from the studio, to play some shows, so I am bored!)

;)

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:21 am

The lundahl 2911, from Kevin at kandkaudio.com. Nice guy.

Side by side with a Jensen? That could be interesting - or course, that would imply that they started from the same place, which considering Oktava's QC is relatively impossible.

I really want to hear your Davisound stuff, Joel. Anything made out of wood just speaks to me.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:20 pm

Thanks for the part number, auralman!

I appreciate it. I am gonna set our tech kid loose on this thing soon.

Should be fun. I like the thing now, but I would love to mess with the thing.

Email me about coming over and checking out the daviSound. I developed that face on the Custom TB2 I have. They now offer that model with the VU's and stuff I asked for. That didnt exist before.

That thing is absolutely beautiful.

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:38 pm

wow, what a cool project. nice. i may have to pick up a second ML52 just to mess around with (i'd hate to see my only 52 go out of comission). i'm constantly amazed at how much mojo they packed into that mic. it's hard to make it sound bad.

auralman, here's an idea. if i get the parts, would you be interested in doing the mod again, i'll take pictures and write it up into a little DIY article. i'm sure lots of people would appreciate it. maybe even send it off to the head honchos at tapeop land. what you think?

ayan
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

MichaelJoly

Post by MichaelJoly » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:13 am

Mods to the Oktava ML52-02 were also discussed on rec.audio.pro -

Search "Oktava ML-52-02 Resonance Analysis and Mod" on Google groups.

best, MJ

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:19 am

i had no idea there were two different types of ML-52's. Which one is the one they have on sale sometimes at GC? And why did i not know about this before? ("because you're an idiot" is an acceptable response.)

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:45 am

nick_a - actually, I bought mine at GC and had never noticed, either. Cosmetically, they look the same. Had I not opened it up, I never would have known the difference except that I used one for different tracks, etc.

ion -really, it's incredibly simple. I'm a big believer in the hands-on learning thing.If concensus builds, I'll be happy to do a DIY article w/ pics, but only a few responses to this thread tells me it's not that interesting to folks. I'll be happy to do yours, though - send me a holler at auralman@yahoo.com.

Joel -I've give you a shout. Thanks.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:29 am

I'd be interested in a DIY article.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:56 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes that auralman will bless us with a DIY article. I just got a new ML-52 after I blew up my old one (I guess ribbon mics really don't like being inside kick drums! Crazy, I know). And after taking apart the broken one, it looks like I could modify this mic without too much hassle. Granted, I'm no tech. So, some detailed how-to notes would be great.

shawn

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:18 pm

I'll send one to the powers that be - if it doesn't get printed, I'll post it - work for everyone?

Would someone like to donate their unmodded ML52 for a photo session as well as enough $ to cover the xformer? I'll take lots of pictures.

Here's a cool idea - if anyone has some hosting space, I'll do a before and after recording of a few different things like guitar, overheads, etc. through an RNP (everyone seems to have heard this, so it would be a decent test). That way, those that are wary about the improvement can hear for themselves. I think we can probably pull together some folks for this, eh?
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:18 pm

You want to do the surgery if someone provides the mic and the transformer? Am I hearing you right? I might be into that, seeing as how I usually destroy anything I take apart. This would make a good article for the mag!

shawn

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:24 am

Yup, that's what I'm sayin.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.