Advice on entry level Mac audio software?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
beekhay
audio school

Advice on entry level Mac audio software?

Post by beekhay » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:04 am

I've used 4-tracks for years and want to get into software-based multitracking at home - I'd rather not upgrade my G3 OS9 Mac if I don't have to. I've been trying to wrap my head around Protools free and have found it to be impenetrable. It could be that my biggest problem with Protools is that I don't have the time or patience to research every last thing that I want to do in the 1000 page manual.

Can anyone recommend a more basic program that can replace the simple old 4-tracking model?
I like coffee.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: Advice on entry level Mac audio software?

Post by leigh » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:56 am

Hmm, there's Deck II, if you can find a copy out there (it's quite old), but after using Pro Tools, I would never go back to that.

That new application Tracktion, being distributed by Mackie, is supposed to provide a zero learning curve for DAW newbies, but it's OS X only.

I would give PT LE Free another try. It might have a 1000 page manual, but you don't have to learn it all at once. For example, skip all the stuff about automation for now. Get a friend who knows Pro Tools (any version) to walk you through the A-B-C of creating a track, setting a source for it, and pressing record.

Leigh

spiral
re-cappin' neve

Post by spiral » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:10 pm

beekhay wrote:Can anyone recommend a more basic program that can replace the simple old 4-tracking model?
Unfortunately there weren't too many programs that filled that basic need. Audio desk is pretty good for OS9. I actually think if someone can show you how to do the basic recording stuff on Cubase (if you go this route i can help you), Cubase 4.1 is awesome on OS9. It was the first DAW software i used and i learned it in a day after figuring out the basics. You should be able to find cubase 4 dirt cheap used.

Things like Tracktion and GarageBand have better filled the 4track gap now, but as Leigh said, they are OS X only.

J.B.Horns
pushin' record

Post by J.B.Horns » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:44 pm

pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Post by pantone247 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:23 pm

I've used Cakewalk Metro 5 for years on my iMac running OS9 and love it

it's pretty basic, just runs like a tape recorder really, getting it set up and running is the hardest part.

everyones going to turn around and tell me it's a piece of shit, right? :wink:

Anyhow I likes it lots
INDIE TILL I DIE

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:50 pm

If you get the visual quickstart manual for pro tools 5, then pt free is not that difficult, especially if you just use its basic features. I think its written by steven roback, who used to be in Rain Parade. maybe $20 at amazon?

A bonus to pt free is that if you ever get an mbox or better, all your session files are already good to go.