why does iTunes suck?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
monkey boy
audio school graduate

why does iTunes suck?

Post by monkey boy » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:14 pm

A couple of times now I have compared tracks (imported onto my computer as aiff files) as played by iTunes and Logic. I've tried this using the mac converters and a motu 828.

Coming out of iTunes there was remarkably less clarity, muddier midrange,highs etc. Logic sounded way better....

Has anyone else tried/noticed this??

Poses an interesting problem for comparing mixes with cds or imported album tracks if you're using a mac. (PC users no gloating please).

aa

scarr3d
audio school

Re: why does iTunes suck?

Post by scarr3d » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:24 pm

have you tried changing the gain and EQ?

the_riff
takin' a dinner break

Post by the_riff » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:30 pm

I am pretty sure that Itunes files are comparable to 128 kpbs, which is not very good to begin with. Probably why it sounds more compressed and less clarity. Pretty lame in my opinion..

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:33 pm

iTunes is really convenient. I use it all the time, especially to manage all the stuff that I listen to on my iPod.

I listen to songs. If it is in the iPod, I am through working on it. I know people that wont listen to Mp3's and I personally think that is kinda lame to just keep saying you hate them.

Those same people will listen to a shitty cassette they made like 13 years ago with no high end, tons of flutter (in the car) and just lame all around.

iTunes does what it is meant to do really well.

I would never confuse my 2" machine with a cassette walkman...

(i realise you are talking specifically about iTunes and not the iPod, but same deal, really. They are made to be convenient, not be professional, or even "awesome" sounding. P.S. it comes free with every mac. This is not a professional tool, but it IS revolutionary, and allows me to listen to a zillion songs on the plane).

dayvel
gettin' sounds

Post by dayvel » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:39 pm

I play AiIFFs in iTunes, QuickTime, and Peak and they all sound the same. Open the iTunes equalizer window and make sure it's turned off. Also open the effects panel in preferences and make sure that "sound enhancer" is turned off.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:04 pm

I don't really understand what you're doing in the first place. Are you saying that you're hearing a difference between two identical aiff files, as played through logic and itunes? If so, you have magic ears. Also, make sure you're turning off the "sound enhancer" in the preferences and importing as aiff and not aac. Even I can tell a difference with aac, and I've been standing in front of guitar amps for 10 years.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:05 pm

the_riff wrote:I am pretty sure that Itunes files are comparable to 128 kpbs, which is not very good to begin with. Probably why it sounds more compressed and less clarity. Pretty lame in my opinion..
Bollocks. iTunes will import and play back full bitrate AIFF files no problem. It can also import and encode the audio as MP3 files, for which 128 kbps is the lowest of the three encoding options.

I think Dayvel hit the nail on the head - the sound "enhancer" is turned on by default, IIRC. THAT is pretty lame, in my opinion.

Leigh

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:23 pm

I'm in Joel's camp. I use it as a way to shuffle 3790 songs and listen to a lot of stuff I might have forgotten about and to take music on trips with no fear of losing the CDs! The songs still sound okay, esp as AAC. I haven't done any A/B tests but would make sure the EQ and enhancer stuff is off, plus disable sound check, their useless volume program...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

pantone247
takin' a dinner break

Post by pantone247 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:24 am

you gotta keep an eye on the volume thingy, if the Mac's on board volume is down low and you have the i-tunes volume up high you can get squashing and shit.

Keep the Mac volume up high (scares the shit out of you when you get an error alert) and use the I tune volume to control the... um... volume!
INDIE TILL I DIE

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:35 am

the_riff wrote:I am pretty sure that Itunes files are comparable to 128 kpbs, which is not very good to begin with. Probably why it sounds more compressed and less clarity. Pretty lame in my opinion..
this is the kind of stuff that is funny (not really) about music forums.

"I'm pretty sure" is code for "I haven't tried this"

iTunes is FREE SOFTWARE!!! for mac and pc!!!

before you put something down on the internet, you should at least have given it a try. it's not like you have to buy it! Just download the damn thing, listen and stop spreading false and misleading rumors on message boards!

that's EXACTLY why the internet is such a complicated place to get usable information! entirely too many people giving advice about things that they don't really know about.

sheesh!

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:23 am

iTunes imports songs at the settings you tell it. It CANNOT play a song unless it's been imported, so if you want to keep your songs in uncompressed AIFF format, you have to change iTunes import options before playing the song. Possibly what is happening is that you're importing your AIFF as an MP3.

And, like the other posters indicated, make sure you have the eq and sound enhancer turned off.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:24 am

iTunes was installed on the PC I bought 2nd hand.

When I went to import my cd's, I chose to import at 16/44.1 at 8x speed.

It does sound different that coming straight from discman to monitors, but I attribute that to the stock soundcard.

And my eq was engaged as well, set to dance or some shit, along with the 'enhancer'

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:51 am

i think the iTunes for windows is a little buggy still. never tried it on a mac. i'm not really a fan of its layout, but it works, and ipods rock, so good enough.

one thing to look out for, mp3's with ID3 version 2 tags can have an eq setting built in. try and disable all eq settings.

ayan
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:18 am

bombastique wrote:iTunes imports songs at the settings you tell it. It CANNOT play a song unless it's been imported, so if you want to keep your songs in uncompressed AIFF format, you have to change iTunes import options before playing the song. Possibly what is happening is that you're importing your AIFF as an MP3.
To clarify this statement- you CAN simply drag an AIFF file into your iTunes library and have it be "in" iTunes without it being converted (or moved to your music library), regardless of what your import settings are. You do not have to change your import settings in order to do this drag and drop method.

Now if you want to actually choose "import" from one of the menus, then yes, it will be converted to whatever your setting is.

monkeyboy
gettin' sounds

Post by monkeyboy » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:51 am

You know, the I-pod aside.
I can't get over your forum name...
Er...Wait
My forum name.
Um... this kind of sucks.
'cept for the space, I'd swear you were me.
I was you.
Nerp!