alesis d4

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
thebeard
ass engineer

alesis d4

Post by thebeard » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:44 pm

Hey, I'm not sure if this really belongs in this forum or buy/sell/want... but I'll ask anyway,

I've been wanting to build a set of triggers for an electric drum kit for a while now (noise and cash flow issues) and low and behold, the module that was recommended in one of the articles I read turned up in the local used gear shop.

Does anyone have one of these modules (alesis d4)? It's listed at $200 which can probally be talked down. With twelve trigger inputs, onboard sounds and a midi output, I can think of a thousand uses for this if it does what I think it should.

......but........

Is it a good buy? Any latency issues? Limitations? How many midi channels will it output, only 1 or all 16?

Onboard sounds don't matter, I have my own drum machines and samplers to hook up to this unit.

I'm a very paranoid buyer and hope someone can help out before I go in to try it out, everytime I ask to try something before shelling out actual money, they roll their eyes at me as if to say "of course it works" even though in the past year they've tried to sell me a non functional midi keyboard and another keyboard with a bad power jack. None of them seem very saavy when it comes to this type of gear.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jesse

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: alesis d4

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:32 pm

Get the DM5. Much faster, and more accurate triggering, and better sounds built right in. It will send on all midi channels, and will send all parameters.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:40 pm

What Joel said.

I've got them both. The D4 will work, but the DM5 works and sounds better. If you do go for the D4, $200 is too much - definitely talk them down.

DM5 manual

Good luck,
Mark

thebeard
ass engineer

Post by thebeard » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:48 pm

What does a D5 go for and what should a D4 go for in your opinion?

I've been trying to research these things for a while now, but there's only so much you can get from google. Also, there aren't too many electronic musicians in this town so I don't often talk to people who own equipment I'm trying to find out about. All hail messageboards.

Thanks for the help,

Jesse

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:58 pm

PrePal can give you some figures, but there's no telling how accurate they really are. Looking at completed auctions on eBay can also help give you the range that things are selling for.

I don't think I'd pay much more than $100 for a D4 and no more than $200 for a DM5. Usually, I just sit tight until the deal I'm looking for shows up on eBay, but that can take years. :D

Check eBay here.
Again, good luck,
Mark

thebeard
ass engineer

Post by thebeard » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:07 pm

That was fast! Thanks, I've still yet to try actually using e-bay. Like I said, I'm a timid buyer, I like to have the item tested and in my hands before buying. I'm also afraid I'll go completely out of control and max out my credit on "must haves". I suppose someday I will join the revolution out of necessity.

Thanks again,

Jesse

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:36 pm

the dm5 is $325 new... I'd be surprised to find one used for $200...

not having any experience with these things, and having some bad experiences in the past with Alesis gear, I decided on picking up a new one.

from my one session with it, I'd suggest triggering from tape, rather than triggers that will inevitibly alter the sound of the drums during live recording. It's easier to get accurate triggering from tape tracks, especially if you're working from a daw, where you can edit the hell out of them to help produce the best triggers.

good luck.

chris

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:56 pm

I had a dm4 and found latency to be a big issue with the onboard sounds.

When I used it to trigger sounds in another unit, it seemed okay. In fact, I ended up sampling the dm4's sounds and using the dm4 to trigger them in the sampler.

However, I would definitely try one with your sound sources before buying if you possibly can.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:35 am

I got a DM5 to play around with for $200 off eBay...well worth it for what it is. I didn't want to play the bidding wars but I've seen them go for less than $200 (but not much less). I went to Guitar Center while considering Drum Modules and they looked at me with 'deer caught in headlights eyes', even in the drum center of the store! They tried to sell me the Roland V-Drum Module priced at $899 used! No way...I asked about the Alesis DM5 and they said it was in their computer but they didn't have it in stock and they couldn't give me a price quote...screw them. I went home, hopped on the ol 'puter-net, searched eBay, and got an Alesis DM5 for $200...BAM!

It does what it does for what I wanna use it for. The D4 I've worked with before and I remember it being kinda nifty but nothing I'd actually want to use. The DM5 is the step up plus it's pretty much the same second market value as the lesser D4...gee, what would I get considering that?...the DM5 :)

--Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:16 am

adam,

I had an almost identical experience at Guitar Center:

me: I'm looking for a drum module with trigger inputs.

drum "expert" dude: So, you want some triggers.

me: No, I need a module that can convert the trigger signal to to midi. Something like the Alesis DM5. Do you have anything like that?

drum dude: No.... what you need is these!! (holds up cheap triggers.)

me: I already have triggers. But, assuming that IS "what I need" and I bought those from you, what would I plug them into?

drum dude: uhhhhhh...... hold on, I'll be right back... (to someone else) you looking for a double kick pedal??

thebeard
ass engineer

Post by thebeard » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:52 am

Well, part of me is glad and part of me is a little saddened that others have experienced some of the same problems elsewhere that I have with the music shops in this town. I thought it was just small town hijinx. Good to see that other stores also employ people that have no clue about certain items.

My favorite conversation from the store was when I asked about an older sampler that they had. The clerk responds, "this is what people buy when they want to write a hit record". Wow, can you give me less information? I went on to ask about memory, midi functionality, bit rates, blah blah.... Finally after trying unsuccessfully to convince me to buy it and try it out at home he went into the back room and dug out the manual for me. It's probally better that way. If you don't know anything about it please leave the manual on the sales floor.

Now I just walk in with a peice of paper and a pen, copy down model numbers on things that look interesting, and research on the net. I only talk to them to buy the items. I feel like such a snob, I'm sure they all have knowledge in other areas but not one of them knows anything about drum machines, samplers, midi anything, ect.... I hope they like this arrangement as much as I do.

There are a couple DM5's on e-bay right now, maybe I'll try my luck.

Scary...

Jesse

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:14 am

Let me guess - these experiences were all at Banjo Center, yes?
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

thebeard
ass engineer

Post by thebeard » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:34 am

Not mine, closest guitar center is a 2 1/2 hour drive. My choices are

schmidtt music, a mall based store with a very small selection, mostly guitars, basses, and drums. Last time I was there they had one sampler (which I already own) and two drum machines (one of which I own);

great northern music, a shop dealing in mostly guitars, pianos, and PA systems no samplers/drum machines;

and music-go-round, your standard used gear shop.

Those are my options unless I take a drive.

But hey, supply and demand, everybody just wants to play "real instruments" around here. I usually just check the used gear shop every week hoping something will pop up. Sometimes they do.

Jesse