A good Snare in the Studio

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

A good Snare in the Studio

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:28 pm

Do you keep one around in case the drummer you're tracking has a total pile of crap? If so, what kind?

chickenbop
gettin' sounds

Re: A good Snare in the Studio

Post by chickenbop » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:02 pm

I've got a 6&1/2x14 ludwig black beauty and a peace 5x14 black beauty copy.They both sound great but you can get the peace for around $200 and the ludwig's like $450.They're both pretty live snares so they're great for rock but if you want a drier sound you have to use an o-ring or moongel,etc.I had a cast bronze dw and I didn't like it at all.It was too dry for me.I don't buy into spending a fortune on a snare drum anymore.If the bearing edges are good and the drum is perfectly round you should be good to go with any decent brand.By the way,I had to get the dw repaired 'cause the drum had fallen on the hihat stand and it made a dent in the bearing edge.Apparently,bronze is a pretty soft metal.When I called dw to see about a repair,they were absolutely no help at all.I had to get drumdoctors to fix it.I gathered from my phone conversation with dw that they don't even make the drum.Anyways,my advice is don't waste your money on a ridiculously expensive snare drum-at least dw.

mcfl0nuz
gettin' sounds

Post by mcfl0nuz » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:04 pm

i was thinking the same thing after we recorded this punk band...but then I figured, hey if thats what they want to use...then so be it.

im not one to argue with their 'sound'

unless ofcourse they ask to borrow one, then i dont mind using mine :)

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:07 pm

I got to track a Keplinger the other month. Definitely an interesting drum.. HUGE, in size and sound. I think varation is important if you wanting to outfit the studio. having a few different sounds hanging around would be good. But yeah, even, just ONE good sounding snare will save your ass.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:45 pm

From my "coming-soon' website:

5x10 Ayotte custom maple snare
Loud, tiny, and purple! Has variable tension throwoff switch for interesting tonal possibilities. Very XTC.

4.5x14 vintage Gretsch Max Roach Progressive Jazz Model snare
in Aqua Satin Flame finish (late sixties)
Great snare drum with a character that fits many styles of music without overpowering.

5x14 vintage Gretsch wood snare in Aqua Satin Flame finish
(1966)
Great for that old school rattly bebop snare drum sound ala Philly Joe Jones.

5x14 vintage Kent Uni-Lug solid wood snare (mid sixties)
Crappy-sounding cheap vintage student snare. It cost me $25, came with calf heads, a case, and sticks, and it looks awesome.

5x14 Ludwig Acrolyte snare (early eighties)
There are probably more of these in the world than any other snare drum. This is from my favorite period of manufacture. Great, versatile snare drum with a bright tone and wide tuning range.

6.5x12 Noble & Cooley HP (horizontal ply) snare
A sort of ?limited edition? drum that Noble and Cooley made in the nineties. Has a good, hard crack with some depth behind it. This drum was autographed for me by its designer and drum guru Bob Gatzen. It says, ? To Chris, you?re a prince.?

7x14 Noble & Cooley Custom SS (solid shell) maple snare
One of the all-time great snare drums. Amazingly musical tone, no matter how it?s tuned. Modeled after the classic Slingerland ?Radio King? drums, but with a much more modern slant, more attention to detail, and more consistent manufacturing. One of the most recorded snare drums of the last fifteen years.

6x13 Pork Pie Custom maple snare (tube lugs and custom
strainer)
Excellent well-defined snare sound. Speaks well without getting loud or overbearing. I play this drum out a lot and get asked about it frequently.

5.5x14 vintage Rogers Powertone chrome over brass snare
(sixties ?script logo?)
Great ringy, rock snare sound. I get asked about this drum on sessions more than any of my others. When coupled with the right heads and muffling, it can also serve as a nice, graceful, rich-sounding drum. I like it loud and obnoxious, though.

12x15 vintage Slingerland wood marching snare in silver
sparkle finish (sixties)
Typical thick, marching-snare tone. Makes for an interesting rack tom, too. And it?s silver sparkle!

5.5x14 Yamaha Recording Custom birch snare
Extremely versatile drum. Huge tuning range and sounds great with just about any type of heads. Absolutely gorgeous sidestick sound.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:09 pm

A gretch chrome 6x14, a GMS 5x14, a GMS 6x10, and a really snazzy custom "cake" snare, by MTC here in brooklyn, it is 5x13 and it translates like it is huge, but with more crack.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:40 am

The ludwig supraphonics and black beauties cant really be beat when it comes to recording and versalitlity
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:21 am

Zeppelin4Life wrote:The ludwig supraphonics and black beauties cant really be beat
Shurely shome mishtake?! :lol:
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:35 am

The Ludwig's get my vote for a studio snare, especially for rock...nishe!

Al

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:59 am

Absholutely Mish Money Penny. But pleashe - don't tell me a drum can't beat.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:08 am

bobbydj wrote:Absholutely Mish Money Penny. But pleashe - don't tell me a drum can't beat.
The Ludwig ish indeed a shplendid shnare drum Mish funny money..

Al

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:38 am

i like sonor snares... but they're $$$

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:45 am

if you want a single snare that is the most versatile and is the easiest to get a good sound out of, just pick up a used Luddy Supra. The 5.5" ones can usually be had all over ebay for about $150-200 in great shape and with the chrome flaking off for about $100. These are the de facto snare drums....what all others are judged by. It is great if you have a variety of snares to choose from, but for a single drum, this is it.
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:01 am

I keep an old gold sparkle Ludwig Marching snare handy. I used to have some smaller snares, but they've been sold or traded for other gear.
I think if you can spare the cash and the space keeping drums around the studio is a great idea. I can't tell you how many drummers in my area don't maintain their kits. I once recorded a band whose drummer hadn't changed his heads in 4 years-- and those heads were given to him USED by the drummer for Great White. I'm all for preserving history, but I draw the line at Great White.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:02 am

I concur with cgarges on Nobel and Cooley. I've gotten to record a 5x14 metal snare for a smacky ringy rock type thing, and it really cuts through nicely.

I also dig a 58 Ludwig wood snare for a more trad sound.