scam?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
tsw
steve albini likes it

scam?

Post by tsw » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:53 am

I'm new to the online buying/selling game, so I hope you guys can shed some light.

This is a weird one. I?m trying to sell a Focusrite Voicemaster Pro. This guy e-mailed me like two months ago and said he wanted to buy it ?for his client.? I told him the price. After that, he would mail me now and then to ask if I had gotten the check yet. I had not. So, yesterday, I finally get a check. The check is made out for $1000 over the asking price. It?s mailed from Germany. It?s a cashier?s check from a bank in Minnesota.

Does this strike anyone else as really odd?

andy

midiot
pushin' record

Re: scam?

Post by midiot » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:55 am

Did you reply to him asking why it was for a grand over the asking price?
boom-ptch-boom

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:00 pm

Yeah first I would definitly try to get in touch with the guy and ask why its for $1000 more than what you were asking. If you get a response or even if you don't make sure you cash/deposit the check and have the money in your possession before you even think about shipping the unit out. Once you are 110% sure you have the money than go ahead and ship it to where ever the guy wants it sent. Usually though when I sell things online I avoid doing business with anyone outside the US just to avoid certain hassels and miscommunications.

penelec
steve albini likes it

Post by penelec » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:18 pm

Did he ask you for a grand in change?

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:27 pm

It's weird. At one point, a few weeks back, he wrote to tell me that he was mailing a check for a certain amount (that amount was $1000 over the asking price). I reminded him at that point what the actual price was. Now he goes ahead and sends the check for $1000 over the amount anyway. When I got the check, I wrote to him to ask what the hell, and he said to cash the check and then wait for his "shipper" to show up "at my residence," where said shipper would pick up the unit and the balance of the money.

This actually strikes me as kind of ominous. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:30 pm

I'm scared of the "shipper".
i don't know if i'd want the "shipper" coming over to my place.

who is this "shipper" of what you speak?
yeah, sketchy, fear the shipper.

dayvel
gettin' sounds

Post by dayvel » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:33 pm

This is a common scam. Your bank will credit your account for the amount of the cashier's check only to find out in a month or so that it is bogus. Don't do this.
Also, you should contact the bank in Minnesota; they will want to know about this.

Kil Howlie Day
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Kil Howlie Day » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:45 pm

yep, that's a scam if i ever heard a one. i work in e-commerce and i've had sketchballs ask me if they can do something similar. i would file a claim with the internet fraud complaint department at this address:
http://www.ifccfbi.gov/strategy/howtofile.asp
"i?ve got no time i wanna lose
to people with something to prove"
--Nada Surf

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:45 pm

+1 common ebay scam, lots of articles written about it with bad things coming out of it like - arrest for you -- robbery of your house -- parting with gear and not getting any $$ back

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... ck&spell=1
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

tsw
steve albini likes it

Post by tsw » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:06 pm

Robbing my house? Jesus Christ. Now I'm scared. I'm on the phone right now with the bank the check came from. They have confirmed that the check is fraudulent and part of some Nigerian scam.

What am I supposed to do? I never sent out any gear, but I sure as hell don't need thugs breaking into my house.

This sucks.

andy

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:12 pm

contact your local police department, maybe. Hurry and get an alarm. Especially since you house a lot of equipment. Take all your expensive stuff to a remote location for a bit. Let the sender know you have contacted the bank and will not be shipping anything because its fraudulant and that authorities have been contacted as well.
boom-ptch-boom

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:16 pm

"lock up your children for the shipper man is coming..."

"HE IS HERE!!!"

(in tune to Amebix's "the axeman")

midiot
pushin' record

Post by midiot » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:17 pm

Put a sign on your front door that says, "Sorry, no gear here"
boom-ptch-boom

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:21 pm

Go to WalMart and pick up some firearms.

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:59 pm

Definately do all these things. Call the cops and tell them the whole situation. Tell your neighbors what happened and ask to keep an eye out for sketchy people not native to your neighborhood. Get anything of any value out of your house and get it somewhere safe. Make sure someone is at home at all times until there is some degree of resolution. Don't go as far as buying a weapon, but if you feel more comfortable doing it, then I am not one to stop you. The law here in Massachusetts states that you cannot brandish or use a firearm unless your life or the life of another person is in danger. I have to assume this might apply to some degree in your state, otherwise the law will be on the other dudes side. I wish you the best of luck and I really hope this resolves quickly.