Blue Ball microphone

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Blue Ball microphone

Post by junkstar » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:27 pm

Anybody own one of these Blue Ball mics? Any pros or cons? Favorite applications?

tylerpursel
audio school

Re: Blue Ball microphone

Post by tylerpursel » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:06 pm

the studio I hang out and occasionally do some shit at has one. I personally find it kinda cool on the back of a cabinet it will add some boom to a guitar sound that is kinda shrill. they also constantly use it in their regular guitar micing technique along with a 57 and a C1000, as well as the occasional ML52

We've also tried it on the shell of the snare drum but I wasn't to impressed with that, it sounds kinda like a hot SM57
I make shit records

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:09 pm

i'm interested in checking one out too, i probably will when i get the cash. for now there's a pretty positive review up at prorec.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:25 pm

I'm curious cause Full Compass is selling a bunch of them for $150 a pop on eBay (shipping included - no tax to NY). Musicians Friend is asking $199 plus shipping. I've found some positive reviews, but a general mood of uncertainty. Saw one outright negative slam doing a search on this board.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:51 pm

i like to slam this mic. i dont like it. sold mine after a month or so.

anyway, i BELIEVE (i have heard) that GC is selling them for $99. it might be worth it at that price.

anyway, the ball is a funny sounding mic, which has a place in the studio, but for most of us the $$$$ doesnt justify it. at $99 i would consider recomending it. but still, i think for $99 you could get a different cool colored dynamic mic that would be more useful.

and as i have said before it just sounds like a 57 stuck inside a wiffle ball.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:58 pm

eeldip's right on target!

there wasn't one thing i tried it on (drums, vocals, acoustic guitar, electric etc...) that even made me raise an eyebrow.

routinely... and i put this mic through the paces... any number of regular old no-name dynamics blew it out of the water.

it gave everything a boxy quality that pretty much sucked. (wiffle ball...indeed!)

i love blue mics, and think the baby bottle is amazing, but the ball is NOT worth owning.... unless you already have everything else. the oktava/marshall mics are cheaper and much much much more useful.

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:03 pm

I tried it for a week and I despised it. I found I could only use it for guitar amps and snare as a blender mic for a more high-end sound in combination with a better condenser on it. Everything by itself sounded like norton said "boxy." Only get it if you want it for aesthetics, otherwise its a waste of money.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:56 pm

You can get good sounds out of a ball on guitar cab. Work with it a bit and it will surprise you sometimes. Defintly boxy- but sort of hyper-boxy. that's why it works on what it does. For the most part, it sucks and it's not worth the money. Still it's a fun mic to own. I like it for the odd vocal, and i use it on most the ambient guitar overdubs i do. Near the edge of the speaker, pointing up and at the cone.
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:26 pm

I think I started the profoundly negative thread as previously mentioned...I too was asking if I was off-base in thinking it was worthless. Since then I've gone back and tried to utilize it unconventionally in a variety of circumstances and my results are as follows:

This mic is not worth 1/4 the price of an SM57. Blue should unquestioningly refund the $200 every dumb fuck who paid for this mic shelled out in an attempt to quell the inevitable tide of pitchfork and/or torch-weilding engineers who will soon appear at their doorstep looking for blood. If that does not happen it should be smashed to bits "Offfice Space" style.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:50 am

Going against the grain here.

I got one this weekend and really like it. At first it seemed boxy and hyper and not too pleasant, but then I moved it back off the guitar cabinet to about 1 ft. away and Ta-Dah! a completely different sound. No boxyness at all, nice solid low end and a detailed high end that was not one bit shrill. It sounded just like the amp.

On this setup, I have used a Beyer M260.80, an AKG c414, an SM57, a CAD M179, an EV PL80, an Oktava ML52, a Sennheiser 421, and ohters, all have worked for what was needed, and the Blue Ball fits in nice with all those mentioned. A new color on the palette if you will.

I also used it this weekend on an upright bass to get the finger slap sound. Worked well for that also.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

moosapotamus
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by moosapotamus » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:31 pm

$99.99 at MF. They also have the 8-Ball for $199.99.

~ Charlie
http://moosapotamus.net/
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:01 pm

I love my blue ball mic. It took me to 1st place in my regional lawn bowling tournament. The oldies were stunned when I unvieled my secret weapon. Either that or it was my gold lame' speedo :shock:

Cheers,
dougo
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:59 pm

junkstar wrote:Favorite applications?
Making things sound horrible.

DO SPEND MORE THAN $5 ON THIS MIC!

PS, has anyone contacted BLUE and asked them WTF?