opinions on mxl 990...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
the velour fog
buyin' a studio

opinions on mxl 990...

Post by the velour fog » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:13 pm

so if you get tape op free like me, then you probably got a musician's friend catalog (or will get one really soon), and if you were bored and flipping through it you may have noticed the insane deal on the mxl 990. a large diaphram condenser, with shock mount, and case, and pop filter...for $70! has anyone ever tried this mic? opinions? i'll probably get it anyway...cause i need a pop filter, and i only have 5 mics anyway...so it sure as hell can't hurt. but just wanted to know if anyone tried this out.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Re: opinions on mxl 990...

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:48 pm

I've only had the opportunity to use a pair of them on a Steinway, actually. Considering the guy I was working for was using them through an MAudio Audio Buddy pre into a Roland VS840 to record solo piano, I'd say they're pretty fantastic for the money. For the money, I say. At $70 why not just grab one and try it out? They surely will be good for some things.
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:30 pm

You won't hurt yourself with the with the Marshall MXL990. If you have just over twice the money ($199 on ebay), the Shure KSM27 is a much better mic with more detail.

Zeppelin4Life
re-cappin' neve

Post by Zeppelin4Life » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Pretty good for the money. The reason they are so cheap is because they are made custom for musicians friend (I heard) and the two companies have some deals going on. BUT, I dont think you could beat the stereo matched pair of MXL603s (small bodies) for $199....with 2 stereo matched condensor mics, 2 shocks, and a case..you cant go wrong.
?I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.?
David L
KC2UUM
RadioReference.com Admin, Albany NY